Dietitians!! are they helpful

James2

Hi all I asked my doctor if I could see a dietitian just for some advice and guidance for controlling both T2D and diverticular disease I thought it would be in my local surgery but the appointment is an hours drive away.
My question is really will the dietitian be worth seeing? Or will l basically be told don't eat carbs and sugar fizzy drinks are bad and alcohol and don't forget to exercise!!!

I'm a bit sceptical and I think I'm learning so much more from all you lovely people here
Any thoughts, advice or experience of dietitians is welcome .

P.s I know your not doctors and can only offer your own opinions and experiences

James2

Dear Terryrhino
i have not see a dietitian but had my eyes tasted for my diabetic screen and this poster was on the wall ,/www.bda.uk.com/foodfacts/home#medical_conditions
this link gives your there guide for diabetes ,if you look at the plate they still seem to be encouraging carbs ,whilst in there literature they do say that for some reducing carbs might be helpful but still promoting low fat and five fruit and veg,
however you might get lucky and get a dietitian who is pro low carb high fat , what have got to lose if you dont share there views then you dont go back
regards
James2

tsalman

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I recently was referred to a dietician and she asked me to reduce carbs and take low fat. Here I see many people reporting good results with with low carbs and HIGH fat. I'm confused what to do. (My Triglycerides are slightly high but rest of lipid profile is in normal range)

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Carbohydrates are optional - fats are not - they form an essential part of your diet, and going low fat as well as low carb is really not a good idea - it is not something you'd come across in nature - protein comes with fat when it is still trotting about, that is how it ought to be eaten.

dbr10

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi all I asked my doctor if I could see a dietitian just for some advice and guidance for controlling both T2D and diverticular disease I thought it would be in my local surgery but the appointment is an hours drive away.
My question is really will the dietitian be worth seeing? Or will l basically be told don't eat carbs and sugar fizzy drinks are bad and alcohol and don't forget to exercise!!!

I'm a bit sceptical and I think I'm learning so much more from all you lovely people here
Any thoughts, advice or experience of dietitians is welcome .

P.s I know your not doctors and can only offer your own opinions and experiences
You will probably be told you should eat carbs. Patiently explain to them what diabetes is.