Dietition......

gaynor

Hi Layla, thanks for your input. So nice to hear from someone else with a diabetic child, especially being of a similar age to my son. I was quite surprised that your daughter is on 2 injections a day and not 4. My DSN say that they don't put children that young on 2 injections because it means you have to be strict with when and what they eat. Just goes to show how different health authorities are. When my son was first diagnosed he was at pre-school and the nurse did go in straight away but unfortunately she is on holiday at the start of September. As you can imagine I am slightly worried about leaving him at the moment but I only live 200 yards down the road and he does have 2 brothers at the same school who are 5 and 7 and it is surprising how clued up already they are on his BS levels and the 7 year old has learn how to test his BS. I will look on the splenda website for that recipe it sounds brilliant. I do exactly the same as you with treats. I don't deny him but I save them for after his tea when he has his novorapid or if he has been out on his trampoline then I know he needs a little boost.

Gaynor

layla42

Hi, I was just reading your reply when our diabetic nurse rang! I told her about your little boy, and she said it is easier with the 4 injections in some ways, but more difficult in others... but to stay with what we're doing for now (Grace would go mad if I gave her 4 injections a day at the moment, it was hard enough going from 1 to 2!). We've got a new consultant taking over as our one is retiring, and the new one reckons Grace is a good candidate for an insulin pump...

Your older kids sound very helpful! I have a 21 month old son and he tries to test Grace's blood sugar too, yikes!

Our nursery say they're all watching out for Grace, but last term they let her play out, running round for ages in the boiling sun, without thinking to give her sugar (chocolate provided by me for occasions like that) until she came inside saying she felt funny and they *then* realised she needed something. She had blood sugar of 2.7 that time. I don't know how I'll let her go to school all day next year. I think I'll just have to pester the teacher every day to make sure they're doing everything they're supposed to. Good luck with school... let us know how you get on.

Layla xx

Katharine

There are other regimes that you may wish to consider if you don't feel quite ready to go up to the multiple daily injection regime yet. Three jags a day.

Version One:

biphasic insulin am, usual breakfast - give lowish carb packed lunch (this is when their isn't much insulin around to mop it up) and at tea time give rapid acting insulin in whatever amount is needed to cover the evening meal + any correction dose and give bedtime basal insulin eg Insulatard or Levemir or Lantus.

The advantage of this is that if she likes a lot of carbs at teatime she can adjust her insulin for it. She can also eat her tea at variable times. If she goes to the cinema in the evening she can have an ice cream and cover it with extra insulin. It also means that she doesn't have to inject insulin at school.

Version Two:

biphasic insulin am, usual breakfast - give rapid acting insulin injection at lunch to cover a usual school dinner (these are always high in carbs) biphasic insulin before evening meal.

The advantage of this is that it gives much better coverage of typical school dinners than the biphasic twice a day. The disadvantage is that you or she would need to give the jag at lunchtime. The amount could be varied depending on what her blood sugars are like when she comes home from school.

layla42

Hi, thanks for the info on 3 jabs a day. Grace is on something similar as, as well as the mixtard30 in the morning and Lantus at bedtime, I do also have some Novorapid for teatime. But my consultant told me to only give that if her blood sugar is over 12 before tea, and give 2 units (ie no carb counting involved, just a very rough rule of thumb). I think it's because she's so small and even a bit of insulin makes a difference - she only has 1 unit of Lantus for example. She is not in school yet but when she goes all day I'll have to think about what to do. Our new consultant (who has suggested a pump for Grace) is apparently into carb counting (which the old consultant was not) so may change the insulin regime anyway... nice to have ideas of what is possible, thanks again! Layla x