Difference in treatment

Kiggy

Diagnosed diabetic but Dr never heard of type 3c. I have had a third of pancreas removed by Whipple so not sure I'm receiving correct treatment.

I have lost just over a stone in weight (drastically reduced carbs). My weight now 7st 11lb and body mass 20.5.

Advise required please on type 3c, how treatment differs to type 1 & 2 and what to eat to put some weight back on. I'm fed up of nuts and cheese - anything else to supplement healthy diet virtually carb free.

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hello @Kiggy What is your current treatment ?

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Diagnosed diabetic but Dr never heard of type 3c. I have had a third of pancreas removed by Whipple so not sure I'm receiving correct treatment.

I have lost just over a stone in weight (drastically reduced carbs). My weight now 7st 11lb and body mass 20.5.

Advise required please on type 3c, how treatment differs to type 1 & 2 and what to eat to put some weight back on. I'm fed up of nuts and cheese - anything else to supplement healthy diet virtually carb free.

Kiggy - Do you take Creon or any other pancreatic enzymes at the moment?

Starburst02

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin

Kiggy, I had Whipple surgery 16 year ago, and was diagnosed diabetic about 1-1/2 year after surgery. The doctors here treated me as Type 2 diabetic initially and prescribed oral meds, which caused frequent very low blood sugars for me. I came off them, and was able to control my diabetes with low fat relatively low carb diet and exercise up until two years ago, when it was found I needed insulin therapy to keep my blood sugar close to normal. Something about the pancreas I had left after surgery "wearing out". I am now classified as Type 1 diabetic, although I am a Type 3C. The doctors software in the USA apparently does not have a classification for Type 3C although most I have seen now are familiar with it. That does not mean they have a standard protocol for treating it, or I would have likely been given insulin therapy much earlier. I tried very hard to delay insulin though for lots of reasons.

I also take Creon with food. If you are still losing weight with Creon, perhaps you are not taking enough with your meals and snacks?? I found I need a Creon 12000 for every 10 grams fat in a meal or snack. If you are not taking enough, it should be showing up with some of the unpleasant side affects - excessive gas, loose floating smelly stools, and of course weight lose. I found food after Whipple is trial and error, finding what you can tolerate. I found the Mediterranean diet worked best for me - lots of fresh vegetables, moderate fruit consumption, seafood and poultry. I eat more protein than ordinary on that diet plan, but it works to help keep my blood sugar under better control.

If your blood sugar is staying in the high range, it can cause excessive weight loss. I have never tried going extremely low or no carb. With insulin therapy and Type 3C, it is my understanding it could be quite dangerous. I do avoid certain kinds of carbs - mainly starches.

I lost weight after surgery, but was able to regain and maintain my weight after getting my blood sugar under control at diagnosis. Insulin therapy for me has caused weight gain. Something I did not want, but it is better than having side affects of high blood sugar. The info. i have shared is what worked and is working for me, and your experience may be totally different. I hope you can find something that works for you to help with your weight loss.

Reactions: Kiggy

SimonCrox

Agree with above; you need to know if your pancreas is producing insulin eg by a urine c-peptide to creatinine ratio. If your pancreas is not producing insulin, then insulin injections are what you need, to treat type 3c.
Why did you have the Whipple's, may I ask?
What are your glucose levels doing?
Any diarrhoea?
Type 3c is known as secondary diabetes to older folk like me - maybe that your GP knows this. It is commoner than thought.
Probably three Creon 25,000 capsules, which is a reasonable dose
Best wishes

Kiggy

Agree with above; you need to know if your pancreas is producing insulin eg by a urine c-peptide to creatinine ratio. If your pancreas is not producing insulin, then insulin injections are what you need, to treat type 3c.
Why did you have the Whipple's, may I ask?
What are your glucose levels doing?
Any diarrhoea?
Type 3c is known as secondary diabetes to older folk like me - maybe that your GP knows this. It is commoner than thought.
Probably three Creon 25,000 capsules, which is a reasonable dose
Best wishes
Sorry I missed seeing your reply. I had a small IPMN tumour (non malignant) but growing slowly. When it reached 3cm after 5 years of monitoring with 6 monthly MRI scans they decided it had the potential to turn cancerous, so removed it by Whipple. It was non malignant. It is almost 2 years since op, been taking Creon with meals. Was pre diabetic before op and remained that way until 6 month ago. Had reading of 50, so went on very low carb diet over 3 month and got reading down to 45. Lost a lot of weight in process. My bowels are quite normal, in fact if I take more than 2 Creon (1500) with meal tend to get very loose motions. I don't seem to have any ill effects if I forget to take them. I have never had the Peptide test.