Different BG With Exercise

Juicetin

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi, something which is confusing me. i do an hour cycling and my BG always comes down by about 1.5 mmol, however if i do an hour swimming it always goes up by the same amount.
Any idea why this could be, I can't work it out?
Thanks.

aimeeo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, something which is confusing me. i do an hour cycling and my BG always comes down by about 1.5 mmol, however if i do an hour swimming it always goes up by the same amount.
Thanks.
Cold weather often makes my blood sugar rise so maybe it's because the pool is cold ?

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Cold weather often makes my blood sugar rise so maybe it's because the pool is cold ?
Ok. Since the weather change I am injecting much more insulin, over double. Do your insulin doses go up when the weather changes? I have no idea what's going on since it got cold and dark

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Thanks.
It's likely to be linked to intensity. As intensity increases, you start to get a stress effect on the body that results in adrenaline release, which causes a glucose dump from the liver for "fight or flight".

Bebo321

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
@tim2000s is right - it will be linked to your heart rate/intensity. If you cycled at a more demanding pace or your route was more hilly you would most likely find an increase in BG too.

Juicetin

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks for the replies, both activities I do are high intensity though, I go hell for leather both in the pool and on the bike. I will keep monitoring it as it baffles me. Logic suggests I should cycle more and swim less, but I love my swimming any have many friends there.

Yiannim

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
staying still
Hi Juicetin, i do a lot of exercise and i find that when i do aerobic exercise my blood sugars dip, but if i do Anaerobic exercise i find i need insulin as glycogen is required by my muscles. Swimming is a combination of aerobic and anaerobic (only from my experience) hence a slight doe of insulin may be required :)

Juicetin

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Okay so today i did exactly the same cycling as i always do with pretty much the same food intake, normally i drop to around 5 mmol after, today i go up to 7 mmol!
There really is no explaining my blood sugar, i give up trying to figure it out.