Different Effect of Carbs at Energy Levels

fly_swimmer

Hello!
When I eat oatmeal with milk as breakfast and then a toast with 2 slice of cheese and 2 slice of deli cold cut, after 30 minutes I feel weak and sluggish. If I eat these with time difference, for example the toast after 2 hours, I do not feel the same thing. I am ok.
When I eat a high carb lunch such as pasta and after 3 hours I have to do my workout (competitive swimming), I feel like I have burned muscles, I have difficulty breathing and my times are bad. If my lunch is very light on carbs, I am for the most days in a good shape.
Furthermore I find that eating more than 3 meals per day, for example 5 do not cause cases of tiredness and weakness.
Finally the carbs I eat after workout do not make me neither sluggish, nor weak. I would say and I think you will find it as a joke that I have more energy than before to do another workout.
What is your opinion or advice?
The only thing concerning my health issues is a subclinical hypothyroidism, I take T4 62mcg and my diet consists of mostly healthy choices such as products from goat milk, lean meat, fish, olive oil, beans and legumes and greens. I do not each much fried food and I love organic natural peanut butter and tahini. I mostly eat whole-grains but sometimes I eat white flour products. The effects I describe you happen either with whole grain products or white flour products. I have also elevated total cholesterol of 245 with a HDL of 89. I am a swimmer of middle and long distances.
Thank you very much!

miahara

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
Have you been diagnosed as diabetic? If you have, my guess is that your diet is too high in carbohydrates and you MAY be experiencing episodes of hyperglycemia. Your breakfast - oatmeal and toast is high carb and will push up your blood sugar, but spacing the intake of carbs seems to level things a bit. As far as whole-grains versus white flour goes both are high carb.
Are you able to test your blood sugars before and after eating? Doing so would let you see how your food intake affects your BS.
Here's a link about hyperglycemia -
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/Diabetes-and-Hyperglycaemia.html

fly_swimmer

The only blood test I have done for diabetes is the blood glucose levels after fasting in the morning that our coach demands before the training period starts to check our health levels in a check up blood test which is always normal. From 80 to 96. I haven't done anything else since I am 27 years old and I didn't believe that there is a possibility of diabetes.