Type 2 Disability discrimination?

Chatterbox

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
Feeling hungry! “Should you be eating that?” “ You get it because you eat wrong”
I am self isolating and have been paid by my employer.

Some other diabetics have mentioned on here that they are self isolating but have not been paid by their employer.

Could this be classed as disability discrimination?

Reactions: JRT

JRT

My employer( a care home) refused to furlough me if not shielded. Wanted proof off Dr and by time got it was too late to apply anyway. Also managed to get out of paying SSP. Long story but working with Union. I'm currently signed off by GP due to work related anxiety. I have been surviving on savings,I'm one of lucky ones. GPs and employers vary vastly in how supportive they are. Mine not only not paying me but refused any form of work from home(they are a company of 5 homes with their own training department and I am trained teacher) and ignored requests for individual risk assessment, alternative roles. All they would say is I cant socially distance in my role. If I did as they said I would be safe! Oh and return to work when I feel it's safe!
Looking at the risk faced by diabetics and care workers I simply cannot believe 12 hours in a poorly ventilated building where cant socially distance is acceptable. They have lost nearly a third of their residents to Covid and are currently apparently on internal lock down again.
I have indeed wondered of discrimination on terms of disability and mentioned to Union. They didnt seem unduly excited by concept.

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
If they are making your place of work Covid secure for all workers and you are unable to work at home to perform your role, how are they discriminating against your disability? In law it comes down to making reasonable adjustments and they may well say that allowing you to stay at home is not reasonable.
If they were refusing adequate breaks for you to do tests or a clean place to inject that might relate to your condition and be deemed unfair and unreasonable or if they refused to promote you because you might have a hypo etc. but as you are not shielding I imagine that they are within their rights to ask you to come back. Diabetes UK do run a Careline so you could give them a call.
Logically I cannot see why you cannot work unless your anxiety is making you ill? Some employers are being flexible e.g. have a friend who is a teaching assistant who isn't working with the kids but I think if everyone who is 'vulnerable' did not get back to work the economy would be failing even more than it is now!

Reactions: In Response

JRT

12 hours in a building that is poorly ventilated, understaffed at best of times and where access to relevant PPE is variable and where Coronavirus is active is not my idea of covid safe. The economy that I would be contributing to would be the owners luxury car collection. I'm lucky,I have a choice. Many dont. After you with the flimsy masks and rubber gloves.

Reactions: Jbicheno