ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I really don’t understand the DP Railcard rationale regarding the conditions that qualify

When it first started it was to enable people to travel who could not use trains on their own, hence it give a discount their helper as well as the disabled person.

Reactions: Polgara

cool_blonde212003

Type of diabetes
Type 1
When it first started it was to enable people to travel who could not use trains on their own, hence it give a discount their helper as well as the disabled person.

Thanks, that’s useful to know although I think it’s not as applicable as it once might have been when you look at the conditions included.

Having read the criteria for those with epilepsy the DP Railcard states:

Have epilepsy and either:

• have repeated attacks even though you receive drug treatment; or
  • are currently prohibited from driving because of your epilepsy
In my opinion, a comparison could be drawn against someone who has diabetes, and;
has repeated hypos even though they have attended an educational course, follow medical guidance and monitors their blood glucose regularly; or
Is currently prohibited from driving because of their diabetes

Interested to see the response i’ll get from them.....

Reactions: Robinredbreast

leahkian

You can get a rail card if you get PIP does not have to be for help with movement, think it is £20 a year and if you take someone to take care of you they get the discount to as long as you book it. My uncle got his as he cannot drive and cannot walk very far. He was going from Durham to the RVI at Newcastle twice a week but the hospital transport could come at anytime, so he got the card and now goes by train and then a taxi to the hospital. It did cost him £20 a week for taxi but he was happy to pay and now he goes once a month and still saves on his train fare.