1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2020 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Disabled person railcard

Discussion in 'Diabetes Soapbox - Have Your Say' started by cool_blonde212003, Apr 7, 2018.

1. cool_blonde212003

cool_blonde212003 Type 1 · Active Member

Should people with type1 who have had severe hypos that consequently means they can’t hold a driving licence be eligible for a disabled persons railcard and other similar concessions related to using public transport?

• Agree Agree x 4
  2. Guzzler

Guzzler Type 2 · Master

I think that if they are officially denied a Driver's License then yes, they should be eligible for concessions. What a great idea.

• Like Like x 2
  3. cool_blonde212003

Thank you, I am not sure how to try and progress this - I will contact campaigns at Diabetes Uk as a starting point

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  4. satindoll

satindoll Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I must get my niece to argue for concessions.......she has Epilepsy and Multiple Sclerosis and can no longer drive......

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. cool_blonde212003

I am sure she will meet the existing eligibility criteria for a disabled persons railcard as she has epilepsy. This is from the disabled persons railcard website

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  6. cool_blonde212003

Update

I have emailed the disabled persons railcard organisation to query why, people who have been refused or revoked by DVLA due to diabetes aren’t eligible for a DP railcard.

I’ll post their reply, if I get one

• Like Like x 3
  7. james11

james11 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

.1 What does ‘chronically sick or disabled’ mean?
    A person is ‘chronically sick or disabled’ if he/she is a person with a:
    physical or mental impairment which has a long-term and substantial adverse effect upon his/her ability to carry out everyday activitiescondition which the medical profession treats as a chronic sickness, such as diabetes

Surely that means any form of diabetes ...so all sufferers would be eligible. ...just a thought. ...i dont use trains but one of u can apply and see how they react....lol

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  8. Robinredbreast

Robinredbreast Type 1 · Oracle

I wouldn't of thought any type of diabetes, those not on any medication for the condition, unless there were other medical conditions that affected the person ?? Thanks for the info, really good to know.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Robinredbreast

Just looked at this and it is very clear about what a 'disability' is regarding a railcard. Thank you for the link.

• Like Like x 1
  10. james11

james11 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Well im no expert...but if you are diagnosed with a condition which last a year or more then u can be classedas disabled...so maybe any sufferer. .....i was just generalising , your thoughts are obviously different to mine ......maybe someone will pop up on here who has applied succesfully using diabetes as the disability

• Like Like x 1
  11. satindoll

satindoll Type 2 · Well-Known Member

How about expanding this to include those with Brittle Diabetes, LADA, MODY, Reactive Hypoglycaemia, Golden Diabetes and the many many other variants........ keeping it just for T1's is a bit mean.........:bag:

• Like Like x 1
  12. Robinredbreast

But as many have found out, it often doesn't work like that, unless other aspects of the condition impair your daily routine, mobility, sight, heating, hypo unawareness, breathing difficulties, etc. Big clamp down's from the government, also I'm sure the list could go on.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. cool_blonde212003

You are right, in the workplace having diabetes meets that definition under the Disability Discrimination Act and the Equality Act.

I just assumed that there was some additional requirement about not being able to drive rather than simply being disabled. Having said that when you read the list of what is an eligible criteria that might be questionable. For example, someone could have mobility component for a car and still be eligible for a DP railcard, ok someone else could drive them in the car but a lot of people who qualify for this might be able to drive themselves. And someone who uses a hearing aid automatically qualifies but according to the DVLA website people who are deaf only need to tell the DVLA about their condition- it’s not an automatic ‘you can’t drive’.
    https://www.gov.uk/deafness-and-driving
    Sorry if it sounds like i’m picking on deaf people I’m not i’m just trying to understand the logic of automatic qualification for a DP railcard.

I think I have just proved to myself there doesn’t seem to be a link to ability to drive a vehicle and entitlement to a DP Railcard rather it’s an inconsistent list of disabilities and medical conditions

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  14. Robinredbreast

• Like Like x 1
  15. cool_blonde212003

My original thought was there must be a link to having a long term medical condition or disability and not being able to drive hence my original question about people with T1 not being able to drive if they have specific problems related to hypos. however having looked at this a bit closer I don’t the ability to drive is related to entitlement to a DP Railcard. I’ve replied to another comment in which i’ve given examples.

Let’s see if the DP Railcard organisation reply to my first email and I’ll go back to them about the list and rationale behind the qualifying criteria

• Like Like x 1
  16. Robinredbreast

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Dark Horse

Dark Horse · Well-Known Member

It might be worth checking with your local authority if you could qualify for a disabled person's bus pass. You can find the link to your local authority's requirements for eligibilty by typing in your postcode on the government website:- https://www.gov.uk/apply-for-disabled-bus-pass

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. cool_blonde212003

I really don’t understand the DP Railcard rationale regarding the conditions that qualify

19. Robinredbreast

As OP is Type 1, that's probably why she asked the question, with severe hypo's and cannot drive due to the hypo's.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Robinredbreast

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook