Disappointed with libre trial

Jmeechan

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
Rude people
My son has had two sensors now and within 24 hrs monitor says faulty sensor remove. Anybody else had this problem? Really disappointed as was willing to self fund ourselves

Sent from my SM-G920F using Diabetes.co.uk Forum mobile app

Natalie1974

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Have you contacted Abbott? They're usually really good at replacing faulty sensors...you will need to return the dodgy ones so make sure you keep hold of them.

Jmeechan

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
Rude people
We returned the first one and they sent a second which also didn't work. I'm going to contact them again as really want him to use it.

DeejayR

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm on my third. The first was ok but the second packed up after 4 days. Abbott replaced it.

Reactions: 2 people

phil1966

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It is a bit of a lottery with the sensors (every one of the of 4 I originally bought ended up being replaced. The replacements seem much better though and Abbott are very good about replacing them. When it does work it's absolutely brilliant but it does need more work IMO before it fulfils its promises
I'll continue to use it though because I know if I get a dodgy one I won't end up out of pocket and they'll replace it

DeejayR

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I do wish they wouldn't keep asking me if I've discussed my Libre program with my healthcare team. What healthcare team?
(Off topic, sorry)

Jmeechan

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
Rude people
It is a bit of a lottery with the sensors (every one of the of 4 I originally bought ended up being replaced. The replacements seem much better though and Abbott are very good about replacing them. When it does work it's absolutely brilliant but it does need more work IMO before it fulfils its promises
I'll continue to use it though because I know if I get a dodgy one I won't end up out of pocket and they'll replace it
Hopefully they will replace this one although the rep said you only get one replacement

Natalie1974

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've had three or four replacements now...they've always been really good about it to be fair. The rep? Do you not get them direct from Abbot?

Jmeechan

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
Rude people
I've had three or four replacements now...they've always been really good about it to be fair. The rep? Do you not get them direct from Abbot?
Just rang Abbot can't have another replacement unless pay for one, but not happy to pay the money if they keep being faulty

Natalie1974

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Just rang Abbot can't have another replacement unless pay for one, but not happy to pay the money if they keep being faulty

That's outrageous...I've not come across this ever. Will tag a couple of other libre users to see if anyone else has had this problem. To be honest though...it sounds like you've just been very unlucky...I've been using it since Christmas and have only had to have 3/4 replaced
@Type1Bri @tim2000s @Brunneria @noblehead

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people

Although they are very thorough when you ring them to report a faulty sensor I didn't have any issues getting a replacement, have you tried ringing again and hopefully speaking with a different call handler, worth a try as you shouldn't have to pay if the sensor is faulty through no fault of your own.

Jmeechan

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
Rude people
That's outrageous...I've not come across this ever. Will tag a couple of other libre users to see if anyone else has had this problem. To be honest though...it sounds like you've just been very unlucky...I've been using it since Christmas and have only had to have 3/4 replaced
@Type1Bri @tim2000s @Brunneria @noblehead
The rep said only 1 replacement but bearing in mind we haven't even been able to use it I thought they would have given us another one. Thanks though

Jmeechan

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
Rude people
Although they are very thorough when you ring them to report a faulty sensor I didn't have any issues getting a replacement, have you tried ringing again and hopefully speaking with a different call handler, worth a try as you shouldn't have to pay if the sensor is faulty through no fault of your own.
I will try thanks PDN getting onto rep too thanks

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I think the reason they are taking that stance is because you weren't the end customer and the sensor was given away as part of a marketing budget. I suspect they're thinking "Well if we lose one customer it doesn't matter".

wannabemammy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I spoke with a Libre rep last week and he said they are happy to replace sensors however they keep a record so if you ring looking for a sensor replacement into the second week of using the sensor they might give it to you the first time but they are clamping down as there's some people taking the pi** looking for a replacement on the 12/13 day of the sensor. Obviously that's not the case with you! But I think they are just getting stricter with people!

Sent from my iPhone using DCUK Forum mobile app

Jmeechan

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
Rude people
I spoke with a Libre rep last week and he said they are happy to replace sensors however they keep a record so if you ring looking for a sensor replacement into the second week of using the sensor they might give it to you the first time but they are clamping down as there's some people taking the pi** looking for a replacement on the 12/13 day of the sensor. Obviously that's not the case with you! But I think they are just getting stricter with people!

Sent from my iPhone using DCUK Forum mobile app
This has both been within 24 hrs the second one just over 12 hrs. I will see what the rep says thanks all just annoying as he wanted to use it

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
This has both been within 24 hrs the second one just over 12 hrs. I will see what the rep says thanks all just annoying as he wanted to use it

That is bad luck, going to tag @robert72 into your thread as he is an experienced Libre user who may offer up some advice.

robert72

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
hi @Jmeechan

I have had, I think, 3 sensors replaced by Abbott - I am currently on my 46th sensor and I have had a pretty good experience so far. They have all lasted the full 14 days and none have fallen off to date. Sorry to hear you are having trouble getting a replacement. Makes me worry what would happen if they were available on the NHS - would Abbott bother replacing them if they were duds then.

Jmeechan

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
Rude people
hi @Jmeechan

I have had, I think, 3 sensors replaced by Abbott - I am currently on my 46th sensor and I have had a pretty good experience so far. They have all lasted the full 14 days and none have fallen off to date. Sorry to hear you are having trouble getting a replacement. Makes me worry what would happen if they were available on the NHS - would Abbott bother replacing them if they were duds then.
He was offered a trial with one replacement and neither last long enough to actually trial! He really wants to use it. May just pay the money and give it one last try.