Disappointed ..

LauraNoraLoo

So ive had IP since november now. My HBA1C back then was 11.4 < which is why i ended up using the pump in the first place. I just had the my first HBA1C since using the pump and its gone UP to 12.7!!!!! Why!?! my blood sugars are so much better so i dont understand at all!

MushyPeaBrain

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Have you been ill recently and had high BG? If your sugars are good now that does sound strange. I'm interested to see if others have an answer but I would feel upset in your position.

jopar

Try not to worry too much I know it's quite a shock, but it's common to have a slightly higher BG on your first HbA1c test after going onto the pump.

For a lot this will be because they are avoiding a lot of the hypo's that they used to have, so they aren't artificially lowering their HbA1c with hypo's masking the highs, then on top of that you've got the settling period as you start sorting out basal rates, carb/insulin ratio's.. Then you've the working out of which of the 3 bolus's suit what meal/snack effectively.

Just keep concentrating on day to day control, tightening your range and lower this, your HbA1c's will start looking after themselves. As the more experience you get under your belt the easier it gets making control decisions when you faced with a new situation you've haven't handled using the pump.

It actually take around 6 months to really start flying with pumps..

Riri

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
The conservative party, people who are cruel to animals and aggressive people
That's re-assuring advice / information Jopar. Thanks, and it's almost Friday ...yeahh :thumbup:

LauraNoraLoo

thanks guys! such reassuring advice there. My DSN is letting me have monthly HBA1C's now so that I can see the (hopeful) drop!