Disappointing HBA1C

Juicetin

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi, I'm a 45 year old fit, slim male. 4 months ago I was diagnosed as prediabetic with an A1C result of 42. From that day on I have reduced my carbs probably in half to now under 100g a day (I have tried lower and couldn't do it with my lifestyle, sports etc), I have exercised 4 or 5 times a week since and have lost 1.5 stone.
New A1C result in today of 40, just inside normal. I can't help but feel disappointed after so much effort over the last 4 months.
I have to admit I was hoping for a 36-37 and don't quite understand why it is 40 after meter readings of low to mid 5's all the time.
Oh well, I guess its onwards with the hard work, no letting up !

Reactions: Prem51
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
You don't say how often you test. I found that there were times of the day when levels were more difficult to control and when I addressed that problem I got better results.

GrantGam

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, I'm a 45 year old fit, slim male. 4 months ago I was diagnosed as prediabetic with an A1C result of 42. From that day on I have reduced my carbs probably in half to now under 100g a day (I have tried lower and couldn't do it with my lifestyle, sports etc), I have exercised 4 or 5 times a week since and have lost 1.5 stone.
New A1C result in today of 40, just inside normal. I can't help but feel disappointed after so much effort over the last 4 months.
I have to admit I was hoping for a 36-37 and don't quite understand why it is 40 after meter readings of low to mid 5's all the time.
Don't be too hard on yourself. Even though we don't fully understand the causes of diabetes yet, we do know that there are elements outwith our control. In your case, you've done all the right things to make improvements but sometimes it's just the card we're dealt.

Keep up what you're doing, it's clearly working:)

Juicetin

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you, it's strange as throughout the day I'm always low-mid 5s with a short spike at 1 hour maybe high 6-7s and always down to fasting at 2 hours post-meal. Perhaps the overnight figure is high, sometimes I eat late and don't test after 2 hours post-evening meal.
Anyway, at least its going the right way !

pleinster

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
ignorance
Thank you, it's strange as throughout the day I'm always low-mid 5s with a short spike at 1 hour maybe high 6-7s and always down to fasting at 2 hours post-meal. Perhaps the overnight figure is high, sometimes I eat late and don't test after 2 hours post-evening meal.
Anyway, at least its going the right way !

Hi...sounds like you are doing very well to me. It took me a while to figure out that the spikes I was getting were down to a particular medication I was taking (ie.a steroid for anti-rejection following a transplant which was not due to being diabetic)..are you one any meds? Antibiotics can push things up, as can a minor infection, stress, tiredness, lack of fluid, exercise at the wrong time (some say avoid it directly after, other directly before), or because a man with a banjo got on a bus on a given Tuesday! In other words, its fussy..and we all differ like variations on a theme. Your levels are now very good...so don't be stressed about it. Bear in mind a couple of very relevant things....
The HbA1c test is more accurate as it establishes your average blood sugar level over the preceding three months as opposed to your meter readings which (while extremely useful) only tell you what it is at a given moment (and meters have varying margins of error).
Your liver can start a process which dumps glucose into your system so that when you wake you are "ready to rock" (ie. ideal for a non-diabetic but less positive for us). This is very common..and is known as "liver dump" or the "dawn effect"...so factor it in.
Finally..and most importantly record readings and foods eaten at different times and look for patterns in those records. I tested around 8 times s day at first to establish an approach that worked. I am a Type 2 not on any meds for diabetes and through diet alone keep my levels down well...I now test maybe once or twice a week or to see how I react to a new food. An HbA1c of 43 is fine for me....40 would be nicer still. Don't worry, just figure out your own best approach...it will come down further. None of your readings are scary...honestly. The advice for a Type 2 diabetic is to keep levels below 8.5mmols two hours after a meal. There's more to it but I just want you to see what figures most of us are trying to avoid. Good luck.

Reactions: LAR and Prem51

daisyduck

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

You've done very well, this is a marathon not a sprint. Keep up the good work :)

PenfoldAPD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Welcome to the forum @Juicetin please don't be so hard on yourself. Your results sound great, and it's come down. Just a couple more points and you would be happy? Well there is also a slight margin so maybe your 40 is a 38.

Keep going, you would like you have it all under control :)

Reactions: LAR

andcol

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
A quick question. Have they done a GAD test to see if you are at the early stages of T1?