Disastrous results

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
Latest test results today! Looks a lot better I think than 5 months ago, cholesterol back to historic levels. Only downside was loss of muscle mass, but I knew that already & already working on that now gyms are open again. So looks like the low carb diet has worked for me, guess just got to keep it going.

Very weird how cholesterol shot up & then back down again, does feel like my body has settled down over past 6 months - weight steady, far less hunger cravings, probably eating less also! I have eased off on some of the more very heavy saturated fats which I did indulge in heavily initially, so maybe that’s helped. Took a fasting blood test also this time, with just a glass of water in the hours before the test,

Hba1c = 38
Total cholesterol = 5.6
HDL = 1.9
Non HDL = 3.7
Non Ratio = 2.9
Triglycerides = 0.99
LDL = 3.25
Qrisk = 2.2%
BP = 122/69

Think overall the above is pretty good?
Hi @DanW13 your original post I think showed how drummed into our collective our thinking the hypothesis postulated by a man, who to put it mildly, was economical with the truth, in his studies against saturated fat and cholesterol, paid off by the sugar industry and perversely (with his Minosotta Study), helped prove the inverse of what he theory was, but still resonates today. "They" have done a real head job on all of us so that we fear a risk factor that is behind, weight (fat), hdl / trigs, hypertension, circulating insulin and general badly managed diabetes (high blood sugars). In these insulin is over 6 times more potent, in a bad way to LDL. As a techy this is slam dunk, emperors clothes and all of that yet......

It is like having a belief that the world is flat and that common law husband and wife means something legally still.

Dr Paul Mason, explains that damaged LDL is a problem. I like older videos like this one as a truthful set of facts never goes out of date. This video discusses pattern A, and B LDL:
upload_2021-8-6_11-49-25.png

(which Paul sees within his clinic and acts on), Then Paul goes on to show the elephant in the room which damages LDL......

When the "LDL" bubble is smashed, "we" can all get back to just having to defend the foods that's contain saturated fats from other areas that are interested in removing animal foods. Once I had done my research it has been great to eat ribs, beef and the like for breakfast.

The way I look at it is ensure the big ticket items that have a larger role in CVD / CHD are looked after, understand the role of cholesterol in bodily functions (sex hormones, Vitamin D synthesis, repair and hospitalisation. Review the numbers needed to treat for statins, all cause mortality when on statins, reluctance of Oxford University to release statin data, Dave Feldmans Nhanes analysis.....but as per usual I believe what is most important is what have we seen in history and today. Meat and 2 veg - slimmer, healthier and less diabetes. Today - longest lived Hong Kong, eat the most meat, which is a great proxy for large saturated fat and cholesterol intake. Collectively I sense a slam dunk.

DanW13

Quick update on progress, latest results have shown a big improvement in numbers. Diet largely unchanged over past 18 months, still low carb circa 50-80g per day, introduced a bit more fibre as constipation a long term challenge (genetic issue, predating diet), been slightly more flexible on the occasional treat, running a lot also (completed 2 half marathons this year for first time).

So the numbers :

Hba1c = 38
Total cholesterol = 4.8
HDL = 2.18
Non HDL = 2.62
Non Ratio = 2.2
Triglycerides = 0.74
LDL = 2.28
Qrisk = 2%
BP = 103/62
Trig/HDL = 0.3

Absolutely delighted with results & wanted to share to encourage others starting out on the low carb journey. cholesterol after shooting up in first 12 months has settled right back & is now at an all time low, driven by low trigs & LDL, as is blood pressure. HDL has risen further to an all time high. Heart age 5 years younger than actual.

HBa1C unchanged on 38, would ideally like it slightly lower, but target was to keep it under 40, so happy with that especially given I have slightly upped carbs via introducing things like broad beans into diet.

Happy to take any questions, but key messsges I’ve taken is low carb diet really works & delivers massive health benefits beyond just resolving high blood sugar. That the body takes time to adjust (see my 1st post), so don’t panic if cholesterol goes up in short term.

All the best
Dan

Aishia

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
O
And to repeat Bulkbiker' words. Nice one - well done you.And if we need cholesterol to synthesize vitamin
D what is going to happen after the statins Less vitamin D?which we need for the calcium to work.
The reasons to refuse are geting longer and longer.

Aishia

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
O
And the reasons to try and relax and not worry is getting longer and longer as well. What with the state of the world.
more stress, more heart attacks anyway.

• Friendly
Reactions: jjraak

Aishia

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
O
Well I am really grateful to all the experts who really try(Bulkbiker and all the rest) Sorry a lot of names. But I thank you all the same just for trying. And it feels like flogging a dead horse sometimes. But you still tried.
So about the statins in the end. Let everybody go by their own truth. Whatever that is. Lots of people .ca
n be ignorant
sometimes, just taking all medicines(just ike sweets)even though they have side effects.
Up to them in the end.

• Informative

Aishia

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
O
And to repeat Bulkbiker' words. Nice one - well done you.And if we need cholesterol to synthesize vitamin
D what is going to happen after the statins Less vitamin D?which we need for the calcium to work.
The reasons to refuse are geting longer and longer.

Aishia

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
O
To HSSS. Agree with you there. It's the proper knowledge in the end and then let people decide for themselves.

• Agree

Aishia

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
O
But some people don't want to decide for themselves sometimes.Because I had this friend once
phoned her G P all the time. Dr Dr you must help me. Pleading 'You just help me please. What could the GP
do in the end . Could not p perform miracles. So he did his best really and just gave. her more medic ines.

Aishia

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
O
To seek is to suffer
To seek nothing is bliss. - Bodhidhama

The mind is everything. What we think, we become - Buddha

Flow with whatever may happen, and let your mind be free - Zhuangzi

So many wise words.

Aishia

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
O
And surrender to what is - Just wish I could do that one.

Aishia

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
O
I like the modern day ones also. Not wise but still the truth. Like
Spike Milligan
wanting it written on his gravestone 'I told you I was ill'.

Aishia

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
O
It's about listening in the end. And how much time do these GP allocate to each patints
in the end not much because they haven't got the time that's why. Fair play the y
really try and it's not onmy
Diabetes, what about the rest. MS, mental illness, Parkinsons(to name but a few).