Disposable needles!!

Libby1726

Type of diabetes
Type 1
To my shock this morning when putting a new needle on my pen, noticed their was no cap on my needle. Tried some more all the same. Where are the caps!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Take them back to the pharmacy, they should have caps on them so something is wrong.

Reactions: 2 people

Auckland Canary

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I am on a pump now but I got a batch of these last year when I was on MDI. I can't remember the brand name but apparently they are capless to stop you using them more than once. They are actually supposed to be like this I believe. Bloody ridiculous idea if you ask me because you either have to carry a sharps bin around with you all day, store exposed needles somewhere on your person or re use them again when they have been exposed. I would check these with the pharmacy but don't be surprised if these are correct to be like this.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
If they are meant to be like this then ask the surgery to change to another type. I have GlucoRX which are quite cheap but they do have caps and I only use one per day to save the NHS money. I agree that you can't carry cap-less needles around all day if out.

Libby1726

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Thanks for your comments. I am seeing my DN in the morning I will ask her about them

superdom

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Being told I can't have this and that
If they are meant to be like this then ask the surgery to change to another type. I have GlucoRX which are quite cheap but they do have caps and I only use one per day to save the NHS money. I agree that you can't carry cap-less needles around all day if out.

I change my needles as I change my insulin cartridge. So I do about 30 injections using the same needle.
Have done for 25 years. And yet I still live!

As for, fingerpricking, I have never changed the needle on my pricker. I think I have had it for 2 years. It still draws blood.

I am singlehandedly savng the NHS hundreds of pounds a year. Go me!

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have never known them come without the primary cap over the needle, since I started MDI 26 years ago...?