Disposal of old monitors

Zolare

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi does anyone know where is a good place to dispose of old machines. Some ate brand new and all work but been given a new one now so wondering if there is anyway to take them if other people can get use from them.

Reactions: Liam1955

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
I am unsure of this, but if you did pass on your old monitor your old data held in memory would also go with it as you cannot reset the data for a new user.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Hi does anyone know where is a good place to dispose of old machines. Some ate brand new and all work but been given a new one now so wondering if there is anyway to take them if other people can get use from them.

The charity IDDT take unused test strips/lancets & insulin and sends them to devolving countries (the link doesn't mention bg meters though):

http://www.iddt.org/here-to-help/helping-developing-countries

Reactions: Liam1955

MikeTurin

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I am unsure of this, but if you did pass on your old monitor your old data held in memory would also go with it as you cannot reset the data for a new user.
I was thinking about computer or television monitors. Anyway my bit of off topic advice :) Old colour ones with a video composite or SCART socket like the Philips CM8833 or Commmore 1084S have a rather good CRT, better than the ones one could find on 14" tv sets, and could be used successfully to watch the tv hooked to a decoder.

col101

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
There's a Facebook group called UK type 1 diabetics pay it forward where people give away or sell unwanted supplies and meters. I passed on some unwanted needles and a meter this way
Meters are particularly useful as spares where they match someone's regular meter

Reactions: Prem51 and Liam1955

miahara

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
Check with your local they may be able to put you in touch with local charites that accept them. They'll (council) also have or ought to have a disposal scheme as they shouldn't be sent to landfill.

EDIT - I may have picked up the wrong end of the stick. I suspect the post was about BG monitors :banghead:

Last edited:
Reactions: asparagusp
A

asparagusp

Ludicrous eh John? I was trying to wipe out the data on mine today and start afresh, in vain.

I believe there is a charity that collects medical supplies for diabetics. I shall have a wee shifty and see if I can find the address.

D

Deleted member 308541

I whacked my first bg monitor with a hammer before chucking it in the rubbish bin.

As for computer monitors / televisions I have left them under a shady tree out the front of our units, they have always been gone in the morning. :D

Reactions: Prem51
A

asparagusp

Luckily we have a too big for the bin service run by the Council. Free - yet they charge £30 for collecting sharps ..... (See my thread)