Distance running without insulin on board

Markca91

Hello,

Short summary: I would like to hear experiences about running with low (or completely suspended) insulin.

I have a question about long distance running and omnipod. I have just switched to omnipod from insulin pens, and it is incredible that I can reduce/disable insulin when running. I struggled a lot with pens, and I constantly had to eat while running (because of tresiba). It took all joy away from it.

I got omnipod dash 3 days ago and I did two runs of 10 miles each to test it a bit. On first one I still had my old insulin (tresiba) in my body (as I just switched), and today was the first run that was done solely on pump.

So, I suspended insulin delivery one hour prior to the run and kept it off until I finished. This was the first time since I got T1D that I was able to run with stable glucose level without eating and it was amazing. However, when I was done, I felt significantly more tired than usually. I was thinking about it, and there are 2 possible reasons:
  1. Today was really warm and maybe that is a simple reason why I felt more tired, since run was almost 100% under the sun (I did have hat though
  2. Second possibility is that maybe because I didn't have (almost) any insulin on board, maybe I wasn't able to convert energy in my body properly and muscles ended up being more empty than if I had insulin and took some food?
Can you please share your experiences and findings about this? I am really hoping that it was the sun that made me more tired, and that running with no insulin on board is not going to create any issues on longer runs. It was amazing being able to run without eating.

Also, I am open to running with very low level of basal insulin setup (I don't have to suspend it completely), but I didn't have time to test that yet.

Thanks!

Reactions: Antje77

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Suspending basal is great, isn’t it?
I do it a lot when exercising and it makes it so much easier.

I find that I need to resume my basal about 30 to 45 minutes before completing my work out.
i don’t know about the OmniPod but my pump allows me to select a period for suspension so I try to use this to let my basal resume “automatically “. Otherwise, my levels rise when I finish and I feel a bit rubbish.

We are all different but this is something you can play with.

I have also set my pump to resume at 50% basal towards the end of my exercise. This is a bit more faffy as I basically have to set up a new basal profile. However, it is worth it if I do my workout at the same time of day … provided I remember to revert back to my normal pattern within the next 24 hours.

The other thing I wonder about feeling more tired than usually is that you probably ran harder than you have for some time. And you have done it on two consecutive days.

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
I know an avid long distance runner, he is the one that helped me with my lengthy swimming. I am on Omnipod and so is he. In my case, I was doing a 50% temp basal reduction for an hour or sometimes not at all. But I was starting to climb after about an hour and I swim for 2-3 hours. He told me my body wanted some fuel to use, my liver was dumping glucose to supply it. I wasn't ever getting tired so I wasn't thinking like that.

I know he believes in reducing basal before and while running, and reducing his bolus for his earlier meal, usually not completely stopping, but still consuming some quick carbs before and while running to supply the fuel your body needs. He says it keeps him at his peak performance. It stopped my sudden climbing while swimming. Although I don't follow the same protocol for my swimming. We all can really vary.

But I would suggest some fuel before and while running. I like a reduced basal. How much of what you do is the experiment because we can all vary.

Last edited:

lindaburner

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
There was an interesting talk on exercise on diabeteschat on Twitter about 3 weeks ago by Dr Rob Andrews which explains more. #diabeteschat

lindaburner

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Running with the minimum insulin on board is the safest way, as well as timing, due to the body trying to replenish glycogen stores in the muscles, normally 8hrs after the exercise. Morning training is the safest or you risk night time hypos

qwertyuiop98

Actually, I've just recently started playing frisbee, and because my pump is usually clipped onto my waistband, it isn't very secure when I sprint, and it gets in the way a lot.

Because of this, I usually disconnect it for up to 3 hours, which makes me breathless and lethargic by the end of it (although I usually push 2 units bolus beforehand). I've also tried using lantus pens during competitive seasons, but my blood glucose levels are still unpredictable, and I cant take gatorade or 100 plus in fear of my blood glucose levels rising.

Would appreciate any tips!

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hello,

Short summary: I would like to hear experiences about running with low (or completely suspended) insulin.

I have a question about long distance running and omnipod. I have just switched to omnipod from insulin pens, and it is incredible that I can reduce/disable insulin when running. I struggled a lot with pens, and I constantly had to eat while running (because of tresiba). It took all joy away from it.

I got omnipod dash 3 days ago and I did two runs of 10 miles each to test it a bit. On first one I still had my old insulin (tresiba) in my body (as I just switched), and today was the first run that was done solely on pump.

So, I suspended insulin delivery one hour prior to the run and kept it off until I finished. This was the first time since I got T1D that I was able to run with stable glucose level without eating and it was amazing. However, when I was done, I felt significantly more tired than usually. I was thinking about it, and there are 2 possible reasons:
  1. Today was really warm and maybe that is a simple reason why I felt more tired, since run was almost 100% under the sun (I did have hat though
  2. Second possibility is that maybe because I didn't have (almost) any insulin on board, maybe I wasn't able to convert energy in my body properly and muscles ended up being more empty than if I had insulin and took some food?
Can you please share your experiences and findings about this? I am really hoping that it was the sun that made me more tired, and that running with no insulin on board is not going to create any issues on longer runs. It was amazing being able to run without eating.

Also, I am open to running with very low level of basal insulin setup (I don't have to suspend it completely), but I didn't have time to test that yet.

Thanks!
I did my 2nd and last marathon on a pump and it was great not to have to eat during a long run and without having to start with a high bg!
10 miles ? Your glycogen (glucose muscles supplies) run out after 1.5 hours though that can vary from person to person which is why people can feel as if they are crashing regardless of type 1.
Your body does eventually take supplies from your fat stores via the action of glucagon on your liver but this isn't a smooth transition unless you train fasted or low carb (many endurance athletes do this) so that your body gets habituated to this new kind of fuel.
If your body does generate glucose then you will need some basal on board at some stage so perhaps you will need to experiment with what time/mileage sees your glucose creeping up again. At least this is much easier now you have a flash or cgm sensor I assume?
Haven't seen it recently but RunSweet is all about type 1 and running I htink so could be useful for you
Happy running!

Stroudie

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Back in 1991 I was quite a competitive distance runner aged 53 (Type 1 since 1981) but I had a problem with cramp above 15/18 miles.

I developed a theory that it might be the insulin I was taking so I resolved to try running a marathon without any insulin at all.

At the time I took 2 x 12 hour Basal injections a day and Actrapid 4 hour bolus at other times as needed. I took my last Basal when I got up 24 hours before the start and my last Bolus at 7.00pm with my supper the previous evening so in theory at 9.00 am the next morning I was insulin free.

I then ran the Abingdon marathon as normal and really there is not much to report. I ran my 3rd quickest time in 3 hours 4 minutes, felt very tired at end but no more than usual and did not get cramp the only time I think in a marathon.

Somewhere or other in my junk filled house I should have some notes of the race taken at the time but my recollection is that the finger stick I did afterwards was not particularly high but I have not found these records yet. However having had CGM for the last five years I would have expected to the blood glucose to have climbed through the night and through the race so perhaps there were some traces of insulin left in my system?