Diverticulosis and Diabetes 2 diet

Garooba

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I would like to know if anyone has diverticulosis and borderline diabetes. I would like to know what to eat and what to avoid. I also need to know of any quick and easy breakfast and lunch ideas please. I really need to lose weight and to reduce my Hbac1 levels

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Unless you have identified personal triggers I wouldn’t say there’s any overlapping concerns.

There’s no advice given to type 2 that has caused me any issues. I have eaten very low carb/keto for 3 years with no issues. I avoid no foods due to diverticular disease, only seek avoid constipation and or straining. (Sorry if that’s tmi) but as neither have ever been a problem despite the totally (asymptomatic) diagnosis I believe my condition is hereditary and not caused by my diet/bowel habits. I have read seeds can be discouraged but have also read this is unsubstantiated advice. They cause me no issues.

as to what to eat for the diabetes then have a look at the link in my signature which gives some exceptionally useful information and ideas.

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I agree with @HSSS above, with the addition that I actively use linseeds or chia seeds as the fibre to aid constipation relief . I make sure I have at least a tablespoon a day as a maintenance dose, going up to 2 or even 3 a day if things haven't moved for a while.

Losing weight comes a side benefit of going to low carb lifestyle, as does leaving bigger gaps between meals so many of us skip breakfast or lunch.

Easy low carb ideas are eggs, scrambled, boiled fried, omelette
Any meats, cold or hot
Cheese
Fish but not so easy to transport without refrigeration
Plain yoghurt with seeds or nuts

There loads of ideas on various threads on here or on dietdoctor.com or https://www.ketofitnessclub.com/pages/free-recipe-library.the latter site has pages of packed lunch ideas

Reactions: oldgreymare

oldnevada

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Sugar, in all it's iterations.
Hey @Garooba

So, I've had lower GI issues since in my early twenties.

In '95 I had to go to ER for acute diverticulitis attack. I guess I was diagnosed with TypeII about 20013/14?

I started seriously counting carbs about six years ago, when counting calories didn't work, along with jogging routines and haven't had any real issues with this diverticular disease. Everything is high fibre if I'm eating carbs and of course eating way fewer carbs. I'm 68 now. Processed carbs are out of my eating habits except for a treat of a small pizza or small sub. If I have pasta, which is very rare, I cook only 95gr dry wt, but can't eat it all, actually.

Good luck with it. Keep the stress levels down, (I live with PTSD and anxiety disorder, I was abducted by a pedophile when I was 12, but got away so... ) try and low carb. ~130gr of carbs/day, I aim for 120gr/day. I've lost fifty pounds. (FYI, I like Dr. Becky Gillaspy over on YT... her vblogs have been a big help.)

Last edited: