Dizzy after eating.

benjo123456

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Hi all. I'm trying to get to grips of what's going on in my body and what I need to do. At the moment, I am eating small high-fibre + good fats meals every 4 hours or so. However, I find that especially towards the end of the day, when I eat I get dizzy and almost, (but not quite,) get double vision. It seems to make my brain feel weird. Does anyone have any idea why this is, or have experience of it?

Thanks for your help.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all. I'm trying to get to grips of what's going on in my body and what I need to do. At the moment, I am eating small high-fibre + good fats meals every 4 hours or so. However, I find that especially towards the end of the day, when I eat I get dizzy and almost, (but not quite,) get double vision. It seems to make my brain feel weird. Does anyone have any idea why this is, or have experience of it?

Thanks for your help.

Do you have a blood glucose meter, and do you test at these times?

benjo123456

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I have run out of the strips atm. When I was testing it, it always seems within normal range. Before eating I'm at around 5.5 and after about 7-7.5.

It's strange, it feels like, (although I'm sure this isn't actually happening,) that the sugar goes straight to my brain. Eating an apple does this to me too, but again usually later in the day.

Last edited:

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I have run out of the strips atm. When I was testing it, it always seems within normal range. Before eating I'm at around 5.5 and after about 7-7.5.

It's strange, it feels like, (although I'm sure this isn't actually happening,) that the sugar goes straight to my brain. Eating an apple does this to me too, but again usually later in the day.

I suggest you get plenty more test strips, and test whenever you feel these weird sensations, dizziness, double vision, whatever.

Deanoh

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes ;)

Thanks for your help.

I experienced dizziness and blurred vision, which was high sugars.

Though mine were very high (24) and admitted to hospital DKA, diagnosed T1, I'd also test as much as you can following food and when you start to feel this way.

benjo123456

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
My blood sugars are always well within normal ranges, but I have been trying to keep by blood sugar low. I wonder if the dizziness is just because my bs is going higher than it has been used to lately, even though it reads as normal. I never got this when I was overeating a few weeks ago, only now that I am being very careful.

benjo123456

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
..my whole insulin/eating stuff seems to be very sensitive, even though it is classed as normal

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Are you on any diabetes medications?

Your symptoms could be low blood sugars, they could be high blood sugars, they could be because you are swinging from high to low, or they could be unrelated to diabetes. Just get some more strips and test every time you have these symptoms.

benjo123456

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I'm not on any medication, I'm not diabetic, but something weird is going on with BS and I'm trying to get to the bottom of it. It's not high BS, but is probably low BS, and perhaps the swinging to higher than it is used to lately, (even though it's still classed as normal.) I'm just trying to work out what exactly is going on!

Deanoh

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes ;)
I'm not on any medication, I'm not diabetic, but something weird is going on with BS and I'm trying to get to the bottom of it. It's not high BS, but is probably low BS, and perhaps the swinging to higher than it is used to lately, (even though it's still classed as normal.) I'm just trying to work out what exactly is going on!

Non diabetic/normal BGs I guess it's just that your body is telling you it needs more than you're giving it?

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
My blood sugars are always well within normal ranges, but I have been trying to keep by blood sugar low. I wonder if the dizziness is just because my bs is going higher than it has been used to lately, even though it reads as normal. I never got this when I was overeating a few weeks ago, only now that I am being very careful.

Because you are becoming used to being in and around normal levels.
The sensitivity of going slightly higher is what you have described.
It is so good that you have good control and you are doing so well.
It will take time to adjust to these lower levels.
How is your energy levels?
Do you feel better throughout the day.
Have the symptoms decreased?

If you are getting the blurred vision, I would do some gentle exercise if you can, a walk after you teatime meal will help with your glucose levels. Or walking up and down stairs. Just so you use those that energy and return to normal levels.

You will need plenty of test strips if you intend to find out what foods you are intolerant to.
Only doing this will help you in the future.

Best wishes.

benjo123456

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I think I've been eating too little, even though it feels a lot. This morning I eat a sensible breakfast, but did around 5 miles walking. I ended up in a complete state, with absolute depression, in floods of tears for absolutely no reason. I ate a sugary lunch, and it fixed the problem.

I don't want to eat, I want to lose weight, but if I don't eat a lot I end up in that state again. I'm still trying to get the balance. My body does seem so sensitive to carbs now, and yet if I don't have them I end up a nervous wreck.