DKA

rachy0121

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
being diabetic!!
This May sound like a daft question but can you ask your gp to be tested for DKA?

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
Do you have any of the symptoms?

rachy0121

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
being diabetic!!
The things I have is my irratic sugars at the moment. Needing toilet and thirst

eventhorizon

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Constant high blood sugars over 14 is a worry. Constant thirst and loads of wee could be signs of DKA. How high have your blood sugars been? Also an infection like flu can play havoc on sugar control.

Reactions: SimonCrox

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
Do you have a means of testing for ketones?

rachy0121

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
being diabetic!!
Constant high blood sugars over 14 is a worry. Constant thirst and loads of wee could be signs of DKA. How high have your blood sugars been? Also an infection like flu can play havoc on sugar control.

Ah I have had a bad cold but my
Sugars have been playing up for a while now I have ketone sticks but I think they’re out of date

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
Ok. What level are your blood sugars at right now? How does breathing feel? Apart from the need to use the loo a lot how do you feel?
If your breathing is fast and you feel unwell and have high sugars call 111 don't wait for the GP.

rachy0121

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
being diabetic!!
Ok. What level are your blood sugars at right now? How does breathing feel? Apart from the need to use the loo a lot how do you feel?
If your breathing is fast and you feel unwell and have high sugars call 111 don't wait for the GP.

Actually my blood is 8.1 which I’m well impressed with I’m having so many hypos and hypers it’s a blessing to have a steady number. I’m splitting my lantus instead of having 20 units in the evening I’m having 10u am and then 10u pm see if that may help

rachy0121

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
being diabetic!!
Reactions: Diakat

HICHAM_T2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Nothing
When insulin is stored in the body, the body begins to break down fat, resulting in ketone acids and thus poisoning the blood DKA

Fenn

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
Is that correct that t2 are extremely unlikely to be dka? And if sugars are really good at the moment that makes it impossible right? My dsn told me to go to casulty if my keytones get to 1.5 and they are currently 2.1 but I think she is wrong? Im taking my insulin like a good boy so I am all good right? I feel fine

HICHAM_T2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Nothing
Is that correct that t2 are extremely unlikely to be dka? And if sugars are really good at the moment that makes it impossible right? My dsn told me to go to casulty if my keytones get to 1.5 and they are currently 2.1 but I think she is wrong? Im taking my insulin like a good boy so I am all good right? I feel fine
DkA occurs when acute insulin deficiency occurs and when the body is forced to break fat
in type2 of diabetes rarely reaches this critical stage

Diabetic ketoacidosis (DKA) is a complication from diabetes that can be serious and life-threatening. DKA is often a common factor when first diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes, but also can occur during management of the disease. When the body is not receiving enough insulin to break down glucose, it forces the body to start breaking down fat as fuel. Ketones are then released into the body.
for more informations

Last edited:

Fenn

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
I read that but was just after real experience rather than googling, thankyou

I take Jardiance and recently read this is a risk factor, im sure its fine thankyou

Reactions: HICHAM_T2

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
@Fenn how are your sugars and are you eating low carb? Ketosis is different to DKA

Fenn

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
@Fenn how are your sugars and are you eating low carb? Ketosis is different to DKA
Nope not low carbing but always reduced carbs, bgs are 6-7 until I eat then 15s with a six hour drop back to 6-7 but I am skipping lunch to try and get hba1c down, thankyou