DKA

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
As jardiance is a SGLT-2 inhibitor, it is possible to get DKA at a much lower BG level then is normal. Hence if there is any possibility of DKA you need to test your blood keystones level.

(Personally I would refuce to take a SGLT-2 inhibitors unless I was provided with a method of testing blood keystone at home.)

Reactions: Fenn

Fenn

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
As jardiance is a SGLT-2 inhibitor, it is possible to get DKA at a much lower BG level then is normal. Hence if there is any possibility of DKA you need to test your blood keystones level.

(Personally I would refuce to take a SGLT-2 inhibitors unless I was provided with a method of testing blood keystone at home.)
Thankyou, the trouble is, just going onto them took me from 18-20 permanently to 15s, I kind of love them, weird as that sounds, that was before insulin, not sure what happens if I stop them

Fenn

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
These strips and £30 for 10 which is a bit insane

Fenn

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
Ask your GP to put them on prescription and remember that people with DKA feal ill, so there may not be a need to test every day.
I think im just being paranoid, obsessive maybe so would feel bad asking for them, I think ill chillax and wait to feel ill, I feel right as rain so I think im good, thankyou

Reactions: ickihun

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
Ok no I am not having any of the majority of those symptoms thank god. When I was first diagnosed I was though! Thank you much appreciated I will ask my gp for some new ketone sticks
By ketostix is that urine testing? Some meters can test for blood ketones which is said to be preferable to urine testing for ketones.

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
Ah I have had a bad cold but my
Sugars have been playing up for a while now I have ketone sticks but I think they’re out of date
I usually boost my insulin (basal and bolus) by 20% plus when unwell. And as a different example, after having the 'flu jab I have to boost my insulin 30% for about 4 days whilst my body's immune system battles the vaccination to produce the antibodies to protect me against the real thing.

Engineer88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Ok no I am not having any of the majority of those symptoms thank god. When I was first diagnosed I was though! Thank you much appreciated I will ask my gp for some new ketone sticks

Get a ketone blood meter - abbott do them they are much more accurate than pee sticks

D

Deleted Account

https://freestylediabetes.co.uk/our-products/freestyle-optium-neo

Blood monitor manufacturers. Ask your hospital team for this meter to test ketones, I have one coming myself its what the hospital use.
If you have the meter, you also need the test strips so you may need to get them put on your prescription.
The Neo tests both BG and ketones but uses different strips.
I have this meter but rarely test for ketones. As a result, I have to keep an eye on the Expiry date on the strips.

BTW I like the meter because it is so compact.
My inner eco-warrior does not like the individually packaged test strips. But it is great to be able to take out a strip of strips on a day/night out rather than a jangly tub of strips. One strip of strips fits neatly into my wallet.

Engineer88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
If you have the meter, you also need the test strips so you may need to get them put on your prescription.
The Neo tests both BG and ketones but uses different strips.
I have this meter but rarely test for ketones. As a result, I have to keep an eye on the Expiry date on the strips.

BTW I like the meter because it is so compact.
My inner eco-warrior does not like the individually packaged test strips. But it is great to be able to take out a strip of strips on a day/night out rather than a jangly tub of strips. One strip of strips fits neatly into my wallet.

I agree with your inner eco warrior, I use these for Ketones as using one doesn't mean the pot is bad before I need them next.

Circuspony

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I was misdiagnosed T2 and in A&E the consultant said anyone with high levels of ketones should be treated as T1 for safety.

Reactions: Flora123

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
I was misdiagnosed T2 and in A&E the consultant said anyone with high levels of ketones should be treated as T1 for safety.
I agree as if not type1 it will be eventually be obvious once on insulin. Then stopped if not needed. But as an a&e emergency situation insulin is normally the treatment. Just incase.

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2

But many doctors don't know the difference between the level of ketones that are expected on a low carb diet or intermittent fasting compared to DKA. It is not possible to tell the difference using a urine test as the result depends too much on how much someone has drunk recently, hence the need for a meter that tests blood ketones.

Also even if blood ketones are high if someone is not feeling ill and their "blood gas test" is normal, a case can be made for "doing nothing" and repeating the tests the next day. (Only A&E can do the "blood gas test", GPs don't have the equipment and the test must be done within minutes of taking the sample.)

SOPHIE2006

I was told the same thing, that it was more than likely type 1 but when I went to an appointment with my consultant and he's saying it's definitely type 2. Don't know what to think now

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I was told the same thing, that it was more than likely type 1 but when I went to an appointment with my consultant and he's saying it's definitely type 2. Don't know what to think now

Hi Sophie, me too. At the hospital they said it almost matters not what type you are right at this point because the aim is to get your glucose levels down and the ketones down, pronto. Following stabilisation at A&E, they then look into what type they think you are based on a variety of reasons. Has your Consultant explained why they are saying it's definitely type 2? Mine called it (after I left A&E) based on the above DKA issue, the 'look of me' (!) and then even later a positive antibody test and C peptide. They were in two minds most of the time because I was getting on a bit as well (57), I had slightly high blood pressure and cholesterol and I had been diagnosed as pre diabetic 3 years previously. (No one has ever explained how that fitted into it all). If you haven't already, get the results of every thing they tested for. x