DLA

martina

Hello, I have received a letter to let me know that my daughter will no longer be entitled to the lower rate mobility allowance that she used to get. Im unsure as to whether or not I am going to appeal this but I am wondering how they have come to this decision. My daughters needs when out and about have not changed, I made this clear when filling in the forms. I was just wondering if children with diabetes are usually awarded the mobility component of DLA.
Thanks.

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The mobility part deals with the help you need getting around outside. Does your daughter need more help than a child her age with this? I don't have a child with diabetes but my son has autism when he was on children's DLA (and later adults he's now 21) he only got middle rate (there is only 2 rated middle and higher which is misleading)

My son cannot leave the house on his own he needs someone with him all the time for safety and he can't cope with public transport so as I don't drive we have to take taxis. I woul think that your daughter probably doesn't meet the criteria anymore if she manages getting around outside the home without significantly more help as someone of her age. It may be worth an appeal especially if you can prove she needs it. Taxi receipts etc.

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Wanted to add it may be how you have worded your answers that has lowered your claim. My son had his high rate care dropped to middle because I had said on question he needed help with something 15minutes a time instead of 20minutes a time which I had said 3 years earlier - even though nothing had really changed except my perception!

linnyb

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes!
People who are cruel to people or animals.
Hello, I have received a letter to let me know that my daughter will no longer be entitled to the lower rate mobility allowance that she used to get. Im unsure as to whether or not I am going to appeal this but I am wondering how they have come to this decision. My daughters needs when out and about have not changed, I made this clear when filling in the forms. I was just wondering if children with diabetes are usually awarded the mobility component of DLA.
Thanks.
I also lost my low rate mobility & appealed, but apparently a new a decision was made (after a few appeals), which meant I didn't qualify for low rate mobility. Like yourself, nothing had changed with my diagnosis or case. Government are just making life harder & harder. I now receive almost £100 a month less than I was, with no apparent reasoning apart from change of ruling. xx:( Oh & I was also told that the need for taxis etc couldn't be taken into account, neither could the fact that I need somebody with me (I also suffer with anxiety & depression).