Do exercise spikes affect hba1c? Microalbumin levels?

S

slaxx

My recent hba1c result is 7.9 (best between 3-5.5 for normal persons), not good at all, and it's a mix of holiday meals, stress and non-activity. I have also gained some weight. So everything atm makes exercise the best place to start controlling my BG. But i notice that i am spiking after exercise (at night), and the next morning does not give consistent results. What do you suggest i do? I will be going to my endo this coming thursday but thought it'd also be great to hear from experience.
My microalbumin level is also at 20.0 (scale of 0-20, jumped from a consistent 5.0) and i'll be discussing with my endo too, but has anyone had this exp? And does exercise affect it (lower or worsen it)?
Thanks in adv~ (and belated happy holidays lol)

TheBigNewt

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Exercise generally does not raise blood sugar, if anything it will lower it. It doesn't affect microalbuminuria either. That's a slight kidney "leak" of protein, it's pretty common in diabetics actually. A lot of times practitioners will prescribe a low dose ACE inhibitor like lisinopril or enalapril if you have that going on. Those are also used for high blood pressure patients.

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
well hard exercise do sometimes raise blood glucose for the next following hours due to adrenaline spiking up the livers rate of transforming proteins into blood glucose, but then later in the day one's numbers seems to lower really a lot...and in that way not really creating a problem unless one eat loads of carbs after exercising..

I dont count this raised blood glucose into my levels.. as I consider the advantages much higher than the disadvantages

Chrissie18

This is an interesting conundrum, I am a type II since 1999, and my HbA1c has remained pretty stable fluctuating only if I allowed myself to gain weight. However last year I did the 5K Swimathon for Marie Curie, watched my diet very carefully, cut my carbs right down to a maximum of 30g a day and my HbA1c was its highest ever at 17, from 5.6. Everyone wanted to put me on insulin, refused. My bloods have gone back to marginally over 5 again, with reducing my exercise from half an hour in the gym followed by 1-2 hours swim to gym/exercise classes twice a week and swimming twice a week. So how do you explain this? No-one can. The HbA1c climbs when the body is anaemic as it is related to the cells that carry oxygen around the body. The only way to control Type II diabetes is to lose weight, you can never reverse it whatever those dumb doctors say on the TV, as even when you get your bloods to within normal limits and you might no longer need medication if you gain weight or go back to poor eating habits the diabetes will rear its ugly head again. As to your kidneys, they filter your blood and a lot of sugar in the blood interferes with the very fine balance in the tiny cells that do the filtering. This will only deteriorate if you do not control your blood sugar, and will end up as renal failure. As for the pin pricking, all the latest research indicates that if you are on Metformin or similar that you should not test your blood as the readings are not an indication.

Reactions: Jared1

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hello @Chrissie18 - just to advise this is a type 1 post and the poster is already using insulin ;)

oldsle

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Since I developed insomnia, I found that exercise not only didn't reduce my bg, quite often it raised it. My only explanation was that lack of sleep was already putting stress on my body and my numbers, and the exercise was just putting stress on an already stressed system.

brassyblonde900

Type of diabetes
Type 2
My recent hba1c result is 7.9 (best between 3-5.5 for normal persons), not good at all, and it's a mix of holiday meals, stress and non-activity. I have also gained some weight. So everything atm makes exercise the best place to start controlling my BG. But i notice that i am spiking after exercise (at night), and the next morning does not give consistent results. What do you suggest i do? I will be going to my endo this coming thursday but thought it'd also be great to hear from experience.
My microalbumin level is also at 20.0 (scale of 0-20, jumped from a consistent 5.0) and i'll be discussing with my endo too, but has anyone had this exp? And does exercise affect it (lower or worsen it)?
Thanks in adv~ (and belated happy holidays lol)
The spiking after exercise is part of the impaired glucose regulation that is T2DM. As you get better control it improves.(Personally I use Low carb, extra soluble fibre too), you will find that exercise will start giving you both instant low BG and extended low BG. I have been killing it at the gym doing HIIT, to zap the consequences of my Xmas indulgence. Finally in the last week or so, my body has started obliging me with good BG readings.
For example post prandial this evening I had a reading of 4.6mmol/L. I also began taking ACV just before bed (I hate the taste but love the effect on my fasting BG the next morning) My Fasting BG this week has been between 4.6 and 4.8. I am well pleased....Edited to add, so sorry, I am Type 2. I don't know how I ended up on type 1 posts.

becca59

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Exercise generally does not raise blood sugar, if anything it will lower it. It doesn't affect microalbuminuria either. That's a slight kidney "leak" of protein, it's pretty common in diabetics actually. A lot of times practitioners will prescribe a low dose ACE inhibitor like lisinopril or enalapril if you have that going on. Those are also used for high blood pressure patients.

Swim training always increases my levels. The Adrenalin is a devil. The drop comes the day afterwards.

S

slaxx

Hi and thanks for all the replies, all of you give valuable insight, even the T2 advise do as at least i can see other approaches that i could try to adopt and see if it would work for me (though yes, i am T1 and insulin dependent, as mentioned by JuicyJ :)
Im still doing yoga before sleep, 40min-1hr, lotsa sweat and effort involved would you believe lol. I am honestly still not clear about how much intensity is ideal for my system, as sometimes it feels too light and sometimes too much. My last endo visit told me i was getting rebound frequently but im feeling she is wrong... wondering if i should split my dinner time insulin to 2, before dinner and after yoga. Very worried that the frequent spikes might be the cause of my microalbumin level spike/(possible?) kidney damage...

TheBigNewt

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Your "spikes" probably don't affect your renal function in the short run. It's your A1C that you want to control. And ACEI's can mitigate against slight renal dysfunction/microalbuminuria and are frequently prescribed in that situation.

Reactions: slaxx
S

slaxx

Thank you TheBigNewt. I'll mention this all to my endo. I'm just about clueless now on what needs to be changed. A little + to my insulin sends me on hypo, a little - and... there ya go, sky highs. Sigh. Ive had a 6.3 hba1c before and it's still making me paranoid, what with the hypos involved to get that low. Very frustrating situation.

TheBigNewt

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Shoot for around 7. That's low enough and would avoid many hypos. Remember my motto in my sig.

mytype1.life

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
What type of exercise are you doing? I find HIT training or anaerobic exercise can cause spikes and my assumption would be if you are spiking a lot your HbA1c would increase. Stress also causes my levels to increase. If I’m totally honest I wouldn’t be too hard on yourself... I’m pretty sure your HbA1c is better than mine and I thought mine was okay!

S

slaxx

What type of exercise are you doing? I find HIT training or anaerobic exercise can cause spikes and my assumption would be if you are spiking a lot your HbA1c would increase. Stress also causes my levels to increase. If I’m totally honest I wouldn’t be too hard on yourself... I’m pretty sure your HbA1c is better than mine and I thought mine was okay!
hi @mytype1.life ! i'm just following a YT channel for daily yoga. i think i may have overdone it the first few months, mainly because each video lasts between 20-40mins, so i double the practice for the 20min ones, no matter the intensity. have recently stuck with just 1 vid and, for the last 3days, my BG has been good. may just keep it up. i also agree with the stress factor! on the 2 months during and after my dad's surgery i was given many responsibilities and worries, and my BG was an absolute roller coaster. not fun.
thank you for your kind words :) i'm glad to have met many people online like you who i can share a certain kinship with based on our experiences. let's keep ourselves healthy for each other!

Reactions: mytype1.life