Do I have diabetes?

Worried@25

Hi all. I'm 25 and for a while have been worried about diabetes. I go for a wee about 12 times a day.

Anyway. Whenever I've had my blood sugar tested at the doctors it's always on the low side but healthy. I also have a blood sugar monitor as I like to check myself every other month. I felt sick earlier (had a chocolate bar about 10 mins prior) and that combined with the surge in toilet trips I decided to test my blood sugar with my monitor. Now my blood sugar is usually between 4 and 6 no matter what the time. To my SHOCK it was 8.5!!! I've never seen this number before. I left it 5 minutes tested again and it was 9.9!! Pure panic. Anyway this was at 7pm. I tested at 7.30 and it had gone to 6.4.

Is this normal in a non diabetic? Very worried.

Thanks

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all. I'm 25 and for a while have been worried about diabetes. I go for a wee about 12 times a day.

Anyway. Whenever I've had my blood sugar tested at the doctors it's always on the low side but healthy. I also have a blood sugar monitor as I like to check myself every other month. I felt sick earlier (had a chocolate bar about 10 mins prior) and that combined with the surge in toilet trips I decided to test my blood sugar with my monitor. Now my blood sugar is usually between 4 and 6 no matter what the time. To my SHOCK it was 8.5!!! I've never seen this number before. I left it 5 minutes tested again and it was 9.9!! Pure panic. Anyway this was at 7pm. I tested at 7.30 and it had gone to 6.4.

Is this normal in a non diabetic? Very worried.

Thanks
The numbers are normal for a chocolate eating non-diabetic, though I have to add we can't diagnose on here. If you go to the toilet often, what happens there? Lots of urine, or just a bit? You could have an irritable bladder, an over-active one, or a bladder infection. Or it might be something simple, like you just drink a lot. In any case, it is worth it to talk to your GP about it, especially if you're worried. Your blood glucose is fine, but if you're troubled, make an appointment, either as a phonecall or face-to-face, and talk it over. It could be something easily solved, or something requiring antibiotics.

Hang in there, and let us know how it pans out eh.

Worried@25

The numbers are normal for a chocolate eating non-diabetic, though I have to add we can't diagnose on here. If you go to the toilet often, what happens there? Lots of urine, or just a bit? You could have an irritable bladder, an over-active one, or a bladder infection. Or it might be something simple, like you just drink a lot. In any case, it is worth it to talk to your GP about it, especially if you're worried. Your blood glucose is fine, but if you're troubled, make an appointment, either as a phonecall or face-to-face, and talk it over. It could be something easily solved, or something requiring antibiotics.

Hang in there, and let us know how it pans out eh.

Is it really normal for a non diabetic to eat chocolate and 20 mins later there numbers be nearly 10? I was honestly really shocked. I've never seen higher than 6.5 when checking blood sugar! Although admittedly I've never had chocolate and then 20 mins checked my blood sugar before. I just thought I'd check it with feeling sick, on a whim really.

It's just needing a wee often, although it's not exactly a new thing but I guess I'm just putting two and two together and getting five.

I'm guessing I won't be able to get into the doctors until after the new year now - understandably

So just going off these numbers you wouldn't be worried?
Thank you and thank you for replying

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Is it really normal for a non diabetic to eat chocolate and 20 mins later there numbers be nearly 10? I was honestly really shocked. I've never seen higher than 6.5 when checking blood sugar! Although admittedly I've never had chocolate and then 20 mins checked my blood sugar before. I just thought I'd check it with feeling sick, on a whim really.

It's just needing a wee often, although it's not exactly a new thing but I guess I'm just putting two and two together and getting five.

I'm guessing I won't be able to get into the doctors until after the new year now - understandably

It is not caused by diabetes. You eat chocolate, your blood sugar surges but your pancreas sends insulin out to deal with it (takes it into cells for fat storage purposes). If you were type 1 you would not be able to send enough insulin and would quickly get pretty ill. If you were type 2 you would have insulin resistant and those sugars would be higher and for longer.
I would get an online symptom checker for the other symptom of frequent peeing but your age and blood sugars suggest this isn't type 2 or type 1 diabetes. Totally normal blood sugars but if things change and you feel ferociously thirsty, have blurry vision, exhaustion and start losing weight go or any of those it would be worth a visit to the GP.

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

I asked about the frequent urination, because if you are thirsty all the time, -I do mean absolutely parched- and drink massive loads, you'd be urinating extremely large volumes. Your body'd be demanding it, so it could flush out excess glucose. (And it would smell like sugar water). If you just go often but aren't weeing for England, it's not a diabetes symptom. As for checking blood sugars so soon after a relatively large dose of sugar, yeah... Your blood sugars go up. A bit. The point is that they come back down again, and quicker than they would for an insulin resistant/insensitive diabetic, or one who doesn't produce enough insulin. Way back when I was diagnosed, a bar would send my blood sugars well into the 20's. So a 9 just 20 minutes after something sugary isn't cause for alarm, your body was just sorting it out at that moment, as it should be.

If you're worried still though, might as well get an appointment. Could be a wait until 2021 indeed, but for peace of mind eh.