Do I need a prescription

Forerunner

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I was wanting to get a Medtronic 640G but I don't know whether I would need a prescription for it

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
I was wanting to get a Medtronic 640G but I don't know whether I would need a prescription for it

Hello and welcome to the forum:)

Have you spoken to your team about getting a pump ? It will be down to them to co-ordinate access and funding for your pump and also to advise what pumps are available. The consumables are then sent direct from the pump manufacturers and insulin you receive on prescription.

CathytheChef

Even if you're self funding, in the UK you can't just buy an insulin pump - you need the hospital to approve it unfortunately :-( You can self fund libre or dexcom without their permission. If you're trying to convince them that this would be best for you, I've found that most doctors rather like to think that things are their idea, so lead with the specific issues that you're having and then "I was wondering if a pump might help?" rather than straight up "I know my body, I've researched extensively, and this is the right treatment for me" - which is the truth but won't go down well with most consultant's massive egos.

Reactions: oldgreymare

searley

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Diabetes, not having Jaffa Cake
In the UK even if buying the pump and supplies you need a prescription..

It's easier to get a private prescription for one than finding but not much.

Before I went the funded route I spoke to my consultant who said she would do the necessary prescriptions if I decided to self fund

I decided not to due to the cost