Do I Need Insulin?

Sweetynab

hello. I have been diagnosed with borderline gestational diabetes at 27 weeks. This is my second pregnancy. I am on diet control since then and have managed to control my blood levels (fasting and post meal) very well. I am 36 weeks now and I have had few high fasting readings last week ( 5.3, 5.4, 5.5, and 5.7 mmol/l)
I called my consultant and she said according to NICE guidelines I should be put on insulin at night but she thinks my levels aren’t super high and thus it is my choice to take insulin or not. (My urine is normal, my iron levels went up, I am measuring normal and baby is on the 40th percentile).
What should I do? Take insulin or not take insulin?!?!

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hi and welcome @Sweetynab :)

I was diagnosed with gestational at 23 weeks and went straight onto insulin, I didn't get a chance to question it with the pregnancy but can't exactly remember what my BG levels were at the time, you need to follow your nurses/consultants advice on this as they will know what it best for you and baby, best wishes J

DavidGrahamJones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Newspapers
I called my consultant and she said according to NICE guidelines
These are the NICE guidelines on their website: Midwives should diagnose women with gestational diabetes if they either have a fasting plasma glucose level of 5.6 mmol/litre or above, or a 2-hour plasma glucose level of 7.8 mmol/litre or above, according to NICE.