Do I need to notify the DVLA?

philip42h

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'll start with thanks to Kenny for posting the link to "Current Guidance on Fitness to Drive for people with Diabetes Mellitus" in the pinned thread above - that's what I really came here to find! :)

I was diagnosed Type 2 a good while ago and treated with tablets. The guidance as I understood then was that I did not need to notify the DVLA - so I haven't.

I really don't enjoy making holes in my fingers - I doubt that anyone does really - so I very rarely do. It's not so much the process but the failure rate - maybe I just need more practice.

The tablets include Gliclazide so minor hypos are a possibility. Easily recognisable and almost predictable - if the gap between breakfast and lunch gets too long I may start to feel a bit 'off' but that is really easy to solve (and prevent) by the introduction of elevenses. ;)

Driving isn't an issue. I'm not stupid and wouldn't set off when feeling 'iffy' and stop regularly for refreshment breaks.

And so, to the point ... my local GP surgery seems to be telling me that in accordance with the 'new' rules I have to notify the DVLA and I have to test within two hours of setting off and every two hours thereafter. Which might be the case if I were a bus or lorry driver but I'm not. Importantly, I have never had an episode of severe hypoglycaemia ...

So, I don't believe that I need to notify the DVLA nor change my approach to driving in any way. Am I missing something?

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I think you are correct in not needing to tell DVLA unless you have ‘disabling hypos’ or you drive lorries or buses. See here for more info:

searley

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Diabetes, not having Jaffa Cake
Guidance states

Diabetes treated by tablets or non-insulin injections
Car or motorbike licence
Check with your doctor or nurse to find out if your treatment means you need to tell DVLA.

So if the gp says you should— then you should.

The old guidance stated if you were on treatment that could cause hypos you needed to inform the dvla- glylazide can cause hypos so I’m sure they need to know

• Informative
Reactions: Rachox

Lakeslover

This is the link to official guidance on disclosing to DVLA. if not on insulin you only have to tell them if you have certain complications.

however I believe if you are on a medication which can cause hypos you do need to test before driving and after every 2 hours. This can be done with a sensor, but should be double checked with a blood sugar meter if the sensor reads under 5.

• Agree
Reactions: Cragwood and lessci

searley

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
I think you are correct in not needing to tell DVLA unless you have ‘disabling hypos’ or you drive lorries or buses. See here for more info:

9764d9640ca0014b0a3c02f7ddc3f919.jpg

As I say the linked guidance states check with your ‘gp’ and it’s already been stated the gp has stated dvla needs to be adviced

Older guidance stated that if you were on a ‘Sulfonylurea’ class of drug you needed to advise.. many didn’t advise because they didn’t know gliclazide was a Sulfonylurea

• Informative
Reactions: Rachox and EllieM

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
9764d9640ca0014b0a3c02f7ddc3f919.jpg

As I say the linked guidance states check with your ‘gp’ and it’s already been stated the gp has stated dvla needs to be adviced

Older guidance stated that if you were on a ‘Sulfonylurea’ class of drug you needed to advise.. many didn’t advise because they didn’t know gliclazide was a Sulfonylurea
I stand corrected!

philip42h

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks for the responses - I suspect that the range of replies reflects the level of confusion ... ;)

The diabetes nurse du jour at the local GP practice - I never see the same one twice these days - could certainly have told me that Gliclazide was a Sulfonylurea. In practice I had to use Google to look that up. I did know that one of the potential side-effects of Gliclazide was hypoglycaemia and have no issue with the treatment regime that I am on - though replacing Gliclazide with something else is definitely on the plan.

The guidance in INF188/2 is:

By law you must tell us if any of the following applies:
• You suffer more than one episode of severe hypoglycaemia within the last 12 months while awake. You must also tell us if you or your medical team feel you are at high risk of developing severe hypoglycaemia. For Group 2 drivers (bus/lorry), one episode of severe hypoglycaemia must be reported immediately.
• You develop impaired awareness of hypoglycaemia. (Difficulty in recognising the warning symptoms of low blood sugar).
• You suffer severe hypoglycaemia while driving
• You need treatment with insulin.

plus other conditions related to eyesight, physical disability etc..

The relevant issue is severe hypoglycaemia, and I am at a loss as to how my medical team could judge that I am "at high risk of developing severe hypoglycaemia" ... :confused:

searley

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Thanks for the responses - I suspect that the range of replies reflects the level of confusion ... ;)

The diabetes nurse du jour at the local GP practice - I never see the same one twice these days - could certainly have told me that Gliclazide was a Sulfonylurea. In practice I had to use Google to look that up. I did know that one of the potential side-effects of Gliclazide was hypoglycaemia and have no issue with the treatment regime that I am on - though replacing Gliclazide with something else is definitely on the plan.

The guidance in INF188/2 is:

By law you must tell us if any of the following applies:
• You suffer more than one episode of severe hypoglycaemia within the last 12 months while awake. You must also tell us if you or your medical team feel you are at high risk of developing severe hypoglycaemia. For Group 2 drivers (bus/lorry), one episode of severe hypoglycaemia must be reported immediately.
• You develop impaired awareness of hypoglycaemia. (Difficulty in recognising the warning symptoms of low blood sugar).
• You suffer severe hypoglycaemia while driving
• You need treatment with insulin.

plus other conditions related to eyesight, physical disability etc..

The relevant issue is severe hypoglycaemia, and I am at a loss as to how my medical team could judge that I am "at high risk of developing severe hypoglycaemia" ... :confused:

That is the section relating to insulin use.. I have included a screenshot where it states to ask your gp if you need to advise dvla the opening thread clearly states that the gp advises telling the dvla- so requirement met..

Also I’m not sure what the issue is as far as telling them.. as it causes no problem and you self certify as fit to drive…. It just means you are protected from a fine for not telling them…

Of course if you deny tell them and you should you could also find yourself uninsured if you have an accident

Hopeful34

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
You can definitely develop severe hypoglycemia when on Gliclazide. A family member had an awful time with it, and wasn't on insulin etc.

philip42h

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
That is the section relating to insulin use..
No, its INF188/2 - Information for drivers with diabetes treated by non insulin medication, diet, or both.
(The wording in the 'insulin' leaflet may be very much the same.)

philip42h

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
You can definitely develop severe hypoglycemia when on Gliclazide. A family member had an awful time with it, and wasn't on insulin etc.
... and while one certainly could as your example shows, someone who has been on a balanced regime including Gliclazide for several years without developing severe hypoglycemia is hardly at severe risk of doing so.

My issue really is this is a conclusion drawn by administrators rather than informed clinicians. It's just a bureaucratic imposition ... :(

searley

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
... and while one certainly could as your example shows, someone who has been on a balanced regime including Gliclazide for several years without developing severe hypoglycemia is hardly at severe risk of doing so.

My issue really is this is a conclusion drawn by administrators rather than informed clinicians. It's just a bureaucratic imposition ... :(

In the same way I’ve never had a hypo on insulin but I still have to advise .. because it’s possible

Again I’ve given a link with the opinion it’s not ‘moderator opinion’ it’s law and as described there is a requirement to advise

It’s your choice if you do or don’t.. but it’s you that will suffer the consequences if you make the wrong decision

And again as a car driver there is no down side to advising them

• Agree
Reactions: Jaylee

philip42h

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
In the same way I’ve never had a hypo on insulin but I still have to advise .. because it’s possible

Again I’ve given a link with the opinion it’s not ‘moderator opinion’ it’s law and as described there is a requirement to advise

It’s your choice if you do or don’t.. but it’s you that will suffer the consequences if you make the wrong decision

And again as a car driver there is no down side to advising them
Well, yes ... in some ways I agree it would be less effort to fill in the forms and notify ... but I simply don't want to if I don't actually need to.

And, while I have no understanding of your particular circumstances and treatment regime, if you've "never had a hypo on insulin" you shouldn't have to notify etc. etc. But the rules do suggest that insulin is very bad and you must ... ;)

The guidance to me states:

Diabetes treated by tablets or non-insulin injections​

Car or motorbike licence​

Check with your doctor or nurse to find out if your treatment means you need to tell DVLA.

If you do need to tell DVLA, fill in form DIAB1 and send it to the address on the form.

Read leaflet INF188/2 for more information about driving with diabetes that’s treated with non-insulin medication, diet or both.
As you say, I should check with my "doctor or nurse to find out if your treatment means you need to tell DVLA". Who in turn should be following the "Advice for medical professionals to follow when assessing drivers with diabetes mellitus." This advice is referenced in the link posted by Kenny in the pinned thread above and is as follows:
Diabetes treated by medication other than insulin

Severe hypoglycaemia

The law defines ‘severe’ as an episode of hypoglycaemia requiring the assistance of another person.

All Group 1 and Group 2 drivers who experience an episode of severe hypoglycaemia whilst driving must not drive and must notify DVLA.

Managed by tablets carrying hypoglycaemia risk

Group 1 Car and motorcycleGroup 2 Bus and lorry
Including sulphonylureas and glinides (for example Repaglinide, Nateglinide)! - May drive and need not notify DVLA, provided:

■ no more than 1 episode of severe hypoglycaemia while awake in the last 12 months and the most recent episode occurred more than 3 months ago
■ should practise appropriate glucose monitoring at times relevant to driving
■ under regular review

It is appropriate to offer self monitoring of blood glucose at times relevant to driving to enable the detection of hypoglycaemia.

If the above requirements and those set out in Appendix D are met, DVLA need not be informed.

DVLA must be notified if clinical information indicates the agency may need to undertake medical enquiries.
! - May drive but must notify DVLA. All the following criteria must be met for DVLA to issue a licence for 1, 2 or 3 years:

■ no episode of severe hypoglycaemia in the last 12 months
■ full awareness of hypoglycaemia
■ regular self-monitoring of blood glucose – at least twice daily and at times relevant to driving, ie no more than 2 hours before the start of the first journey and every 2 hours while driving
■ demonstrates an understanding of the risks of hypoglycaemia
■ has no disqualifying complications of diabetes that mean a licence will be refused or revoked, such as visual field defect

I've highlighted the relevant text - I may drive and need not notify the DVLA provided that ...

So that's the advice I should be getting from my doctor or nurse ... unless, of course, unbeknownst to me there is "clinical information that indicates the agency may need to undertake medical enquiries"?

Yes, I know, I'm just a pain! :)

searley

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Well, yes ... in some ways I agree it would be less effort to fill in the forms and notify ... but I simply don't want to if I don't actually need to.

And, while I have no understanding of your particular circumstances and treatment regime, if you've "never had a hypo on insulin" you shouldn't have to notify etc. etc. But the rules do suggest that insulin is very bad and you must ... ;)

The guidance to me states:

As you say, I should check with my "doctor or nurse to find out if your treatment means you need to tell DVLA". Who in turn should be following the "Advice for medical professionals to follow when assessing drivers with diabetes mellitus." This advice is referenced in the link posted by Kenny in the pinned thread above and is as follows:

I've highlighted the relevant text - I may drive and need not notify the DVLA provided that ...

So that's the advice I should be getting from my doctor or nurse ... unless, of course, unbeknownst to me there is "clinical information that indicates the agency may need to undertake medical enquiries"?

Yes, I know, I'm just a pain! :)

Just follow the link and read table control it does state if a medical professional says you have to

So the criteria is met

Glickazide can cause hypos and is therefore notifiable

But again your decision but if you end up uninsured and possibly in prison after an accident there is only 1 person to blame

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
That is the section relating to insulin use.. I have included a screenshot where it states to ask your gp if you need to advise dvla the opening thread clearly states that the gp advises telling the dvla- so requirement met..

Also I’m not sure what the issue is as far as telling them.. as it causes no problem and you self certify as fit to drive…. It just means you are protected from a fine for not telling them…

Of course if you deny tell them and you should you could also find yourself uninsured if you have an accident

Now I read that as your dr should know what the requirements are so you should be able to be advised by them if you need to report it. Not that their opinion is in itself a requirement

searley

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Now I read that as your dr should know what the requirements are so you should be able to be advised by them if you need to report it. Not that their opinion is in itself a requirement

And in the first post it states the gp’s is using current guidance which is dvla needs to know for glickazide .. which has actually been the case since I was diagnosed 13 years ago

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
And in the first post it states the gp’s is using current guidance which is dvla needs to know for glickazide .. which has actually been the case since I was diagnosed 13 years ago
Oh I agree with that. Just not that it’s up to the gp to decide who needs to notify and who doesn’t. They just pass along the information.