Do I test if I am 'post diabetic'?

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Honestly - I'd choose carbs over sleeping pills nowadays (not that I've ever had sleeping pills).

Last night after consuming about a fortnight's worth of carbs in one meal, I fell asleep THREE times before actually going to bed.

Why do we do it?!

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Diagnosed prediabetic Easter 2014. Just left to get on with it, no guidance or help from GP. Every day I'm learning something new.
Sleeping pills would probably do less damage!
Don't know why some of us have a 'self destruct button'. If you can think of anything that triggered it, try to plan ahead what you would do in a similar situation in future.
Also, I find that after a few weeks of substituting carbs with extra veg, I no longer find carbs palatable.

Reactions: 2 people

Debmcgee

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Pipp - I eat less than 30g carbs a day so know through testing etc what agrees with me. I know carbs are damaging but there is something that draws us back to them!

I can't think about total weight goal as it's just too much. I'd give up if I looked at it.

I hate summer. Everything is harder and I dunno why but the weight just plateaus. It's frustrating.

I retreated to food after my second daughter was born. I know why and it went on for four years. I didn't matter. I didn't want to be noticed or attractive. There were too many other priorities and I didn't care about me.

In hindsight it was stupid. I am not a stupid person but for some reason fat became my armour....

Diagnosed prediabetic Easter 2014. Just left to get on with it, no guidance or help from GP. Every day I'm learning something new.

Reactions: 4 people

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I retreated to food after my second daughter was born. I know why and it went on for four years. I didn't matter. I didn't want to be noticed or attractive. There were too many other priorities and I didn't care about me.

In hindsight it was stupid. I am not a stupid person but for some reason fat became my armour....

Again, me too. Except it was my second son and it went on for alot longer than 4 years. Fat was still my armour until very recently, I'm hoping I will be able to lose it now. Thanks for expressing all of this Deb , it's really helpful.

Reactions: 4 people

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Pipp - I eat less than 30g carbs a day so know through testing etc what agrees with me. I know carbs are damaging but there is something that draws us back to them!

I can't think about total weight goal as it's just too much. I'd give up if I looked at it.

I hate summer. Everything is harder and I dunno why but the weight just plateaus. It's frustrating.

I think that is true for many of, especially women. However, realising it is half the battle. If only we could find an alternative way of expressing the negative emotions that cause the carb cravings, eh. The only thing I can suggest at the moment is that we cannot change the past, and cannot know what is in the future, so try to live in here and now, but pause for breath when the feelings overwhelm. Oh, and if the need to eat something carb strikes don't feel bad or a failure, just have a new start point.

Also, just because an action was stupid, it does not mean the person carrying out the action is stupid. Just human.

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Again, me too. Except it was my second son and it went on for alot longer than 4 years. Fat was still my armour until very recently, I'm hoping I will be able to lose it now. Thanks for expressing all of this Deb , it's really helpful.
I can relate much of my problem with food to childbirth too. Trying hard to rationalise it, and now you have both mentioned it I have completed another piece in the jigsaw. Thank you @zand and @Debmcgee

JohnD54

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Rice
To all above, still being a newbie on here, albeit learning fast and having the full support of my large family, wife and five children, seeing the caring comments and support that members freely give to other members on this forum reminds me of my youth in Yiewsley, Middlesex 50s & 60s.

A time when all the families living in my area were " Working Class" low income, but neighbours were always available to help in anyway they could, something that I though had passed by with time.

Now I know this ethos is alive and living, and whilst not happy to have been diagnosed, am happy to have regained some faith in human nature.

Keep up the good works, advice and support, I know where to go when I need assistance outside my immediate family.

Reactions: 9 people

Tall Paul

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have decided that I will return to Newcastle type diet. For those of you who advocate LCHF don't panic, as it really is a weight loss regime now rather than a blood glucose control diet I need. When I am ready, after shedding much of the weight I need to I will certainly look at Low carb diet. Without the high amount of fat I tried a few weeks ago.
Hiya Pipp - glad to hear that you've got yourself on an even keel after your episode of pushing the limits!

A word of caution though - are you sure that it's safe to follow the Newcastle Diet for more than the 8 weeks recommended by Prof Taylor and the Newcastle Uni team? It would seem to me that the longer you follow a Very Low Calorie diet, the more risks you have of putting your body into starvation mode i.e. your BMR metabolism would slow down in order to use less calories, your weight loss would greatly slow, and you would end up with a huge insatiable appetite that would lead to quickly regaining weight after you stop your VLC regime. (I understand there's other unpleasant aspects of it). My understanding is that starvation mode is only likely to become an issue after a number of months - but I assumed that that was one reason why the Newcastle Diet team recommended an 8 week duration.

I'm not an expert, and I'm sure you've done plenty of homework and spoken to your healthcare team, but I'm just checking - for the sake of your own well-being :)

---
(Personally, I'm following the advice from the Newcastle Uni team to lose weight slowly through a fairly normal calorie controlled diet (and regular exercise), rather than following the strict VLC 800 calories per day approach. I've lost 2.5 stone of my pre-diagnosis weight, and my last HBA1c was hugely improved. In discussion with my DSN, I've been dropping my daily dosage of Gliclazide over the last few weeks, and come off it completely a couple of days ago. I'm also really inspired to hear about your own "post-diabetic" success!)

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hiya Pipp - glad to hear that you've got yourself on an even keel after your episode of pushing the limits!

A word of caution though - are you sure that it's safe to follow the Newcastle Diet for more than the 8 weeks recommended by Prof Taylor and the Newcastle Uni team? It would seem to me that the longer you follow a Very Low Calorie diet, the more risks you have of putting your body into starvation mode i.e. your BMR metabolism would slow down in order to use less calories, your weight loss would greatly slow, and you would end up with a huge insatiable appetite that would lead to quickly regaining weight after you stop your VLC regime. (I understand there's other unpleasant aspects of it). My understanding is that starvation mode is only likely to become an issue after a number of months - but I assumed that that was one reason why the Newcastle Diet team recommended an 8 week duration.

I'm not an expert, and I'm sure you've done plenty of homework and spoken to your healthcare team, but I'm just checking - for the sake of your own well-being :)

---
(Personally, I'm following the advice from the Newcastle Uni team to lose weight slowly through a fairly normal calorie controlled diet (and regular exercise), rather than following the strict VLC 800 calories per day approach. I've lost 2.5 stone of my pre-diagnosis weight, and my last HBA1c was hugely improved. In discussion with my DSN, I've been dropping my daily dosage of Gliclazide over the last few weeks, and come off it completely a couple of days ago. I'm also really inspired to hear about your own "post-diabetic" success!)
@Tall Paul
Thank you so much for your supportive and caring post. Well done for your success with diabetes control.

I have been a bit quiet on forum, because I did despair about some unpleasant posts, but posts like yours help me remember that most people are kind.

It did take quite a while to get back to sensible mode after the uncontrolled carb eating. So for less than a week I have been using a VLCD.. I am concerned that someone could be reading the thread and thinking of going it alone on their own version of a Newcastle diet. So I will summarise briefly as I can what I have done.

September 2011, (6 years after T2 diagnosis) weight at heaviest 148kg, persuaded GP to allow me to try Newcastle method.
Using Lipotrim, a total food replacement method, completed 9 weeks. Whole time monitored by GP and pharmacy. Within days blood glucose returned to none diabetic levels, and have stayed that way since. Weight at end of 9 weeks was 114kg.
Maintained weight until Feb 2012, then started another period of total food replacement with Lipotrim, 8 weeks, weight fell to 95kg, April 2012.

Maintained weight until November 2012, but started to gain due to immobility, need for two major surgical operations, and eating carbs.

Gradual weight gain in interim, having been unable to move from chair, and depending on hospital food, other people catering for me at home, and I confess overindulging in 'treats' kind visitors brought. I was incapacitated for over 18 months, and some of the treatment I received in hospital caused severe psychological trauma. During this time my weight increased to 110kg. However, all blood glucose tests and HbA1c tests remained none diabetic.

A few months ago, I decided, with agreement of GP to give Newcastle dieting another try. Rather than total food replacement, I used Tesco Ultraslim, as vegetables are allowed, and I couldn't face the tough regime with no food at all again. In the 6 weeks I did this weight dropped to 102kg.
Then, thinking ahead to a more sustainable way of eating I was lured into LCHF. It made me feel sick, and I gained 3kg in just over a week. Then came the experiment. More weight gained, and hard to stop the carbs once I started. A week ago I weighed 110kg.

So, back to Ultraslim. I feel well on it. Will not do more than 6 weeks at a time, with GP approval. I won't rule out the Lipotrim total food replacement again if I need it. The only difficulty I had with that was social occasions. I do not like to draw attention to my way of eating, and food is always involved at social gatherings. I have also gradually increased exercise from none at all for 18 months to 6hours a week intense water based exercise, and 3-4 hours physiotherapy and Pilates.

I have decided to only be weighed every fortnight at the GP surgery, as I can get a bit obsessed with the numbers. I am testing BG at home a few times a week, as again, I don't want to get obsessed. Also, the method I am using currently is to use the Ultraslim products, supplement with 2servings of non-starchy veg daily, and allow up to 3 low fat, low carb meals a week if social occasions occur. I won't be using this form of diet for longer than 6 weeks at a time, and will leave at least 6 weeks between stints of Newcastle type dieting.

To summarise: Anyone thinking of Newcastle diet, it seems to have worked for me in that blood glucose levels have remained none diabetic for almost 3years, but I would not recommend it without carefully considering the academic papers from Prof Taylor and his team, and discussing with medical team.

There are other people who post who have stuck to a VLCD for many months with great success.

I hope this is clear. Happy to answer further questions if necessary.

Reactions: 6 people

Tall Paul

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@Pipp - Apologies for my slow reply! (I've had quite a busy week).

Thanks for the broader explanation of your diet strategy - that makes a bit more sense! And it sounds like you're consulting with your GP pretty closely through all of this, which would be pretty important.

It does sound to me like your long term challenge is going to be figuring out good eating habits for when you're OFF the VLCD diet (rather than for when you're on it). I wish you all the best with that one (I hear what you're saying about your problems with LCHF, I don't think it's for me either).

In the meantime - well done with your success in dieting and regular exercise, may it continue :)

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@Pipp - Apologies for my slow reply! (I've had quite a busy week).

Thanks for the broader explanation of your diet strategy - that makes a bit more sense! And it sounds like you're consulting with your GP pretty closely through all of this, which would be pretty important.

It does sound to me like your long term challenge is going to be figuring out good eating habits for when you're OFF the VLCD diet (rather than for when you're on it). I wish you all the best with that one (I hear what you're saying about your problems with LCHF, I don't think it's for me either).

In the meantime - well done with your success in dieting and regular exercise, may it continue :)
Thanks @Tall Paul

I don't think that a 'hybrid' version of LCHF would be a bad thing.. Lots of people have reported success on it. By hybrid, I mean keeping carbs low, and not being deceived into buying commercially produced 'low fat' products which generally are high sugar. The problem I had with LCHF was that I took literally the HF, component. Specifically the eat until you have had enough part. Unfortunately, I do not know when I reach the satiated point. This could possibly be physical, due to spinal nerve damage in an accident and recent surgery damaging abdominal nerves; or it could be a psychological response, as food is not always just for nutrition.

So, I don't think it is necessary good eating habits that need to be developed, I do have a good understanding of nutrition. The habits are entrenched, the willpower not so much! One of the reasons I won't stay with VLCD in the very long term is that it can contribute to being lazy about choices for meals. So it could make sense in my current circumstances ( need for weight loss now that BG is good) to use VLCD a few days a week, and low carb, high veg, moderate fat and protein, for the rest of the time. Something like 5:2 diet.

However It turns out, I am still happy and relieved that the main reason for Newcastle diet (t2 reversal) seems to be still working some 3 years after starting on it.

I cannot emphasise enough though, that anyone embarking on Newcastle regime should have GP support, and should not deviate from the method devised by Prof Taylor et al at Newcastle University.

Tall Paul

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
All good, @Pipp.

Personally, I just found LCHF too counter-intuitive and counter-cultural to be a long term thing for me.
I went with the Low-GL strategy instead - and I'm currently getting on grand with a vaguely low GL, low-junk food approach.

I like your signature line :)