Do I tick Yes or No to disability?

Neicy0412

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I too am also shocked, that you should tick yes to the question "do you consider yourself to have a disability?" I do not consider I have a disability!!! I can walk, talk, hear, I have full use of my arms and legs, I simply have a medical condition, as do people with asthma, skin conditions, people who wear glasses, etc etc. I am not nor have ever been disabled!!! I feel that to say yes to this question, would change the way people see me, currently, I am an ordinary mum, friend, daughter and colleague, with a tendency to have the odd " funny turn" if I declare myself to have a disability then I feel everyone will start looking for issues, and every little thing will be put down to my "disability" so for me, it is and will remain a very definite " no"

Sarah69

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anything healthy!
Although there is not ment to be discrimination in the work place I'm sure it exists. If I was an employer I would sooner choose an employee without diabetes than one with it. So I think ticking yes puts you at a disadvantage.

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Sarah69 said:
Although there is not ment to be discrimination in the work place I'm sure it exists. If I was an employer I would sooner choose an employee without diabetes than one with it. So I think ticking yes puts you at a disadvantage.
I'm sure you're correct in some cases Sarah. Personally if I were going back to the UK and applying for a job in my old profession
I would tick the box since it would guarantee me an interview.(edit : as long as I met the essential criteria for the job)
Having been on many interview panels I know that the structure of the interviews and scoring of the candidates is fairly rigid so I wouldn't be afraid that it would count against me.
The point that DUK makes is the same as earlier in the post
When you are considering whether you are covered by the definition you must think about the effect of your diabetes (without medical treatment) on your day-to-day life. If your diabetes makes it more difficult for you to do day-to-day things you are likely to be covered
Well without insulin I wouldn't be able to do the job for long but there are also things that I did in the past, particularly working without a lunch break which I would be less willing to do now.

xyzzy

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Undeserving authority figures of all kinds and idiots.
Sarah69 said:

I tend to agree with you Sarah. There shouldn't be discrimination but there sometimes is. I certainly would put NO if I was diet or minimal meds T2.

mish1953

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
In my case "yes" , but then again I am disabled and do have a blue badge ..

According to the medics I have .. diabetes type 2 , neuropathy both feet , non-vasculogenic claudication,chronic venous insufficency , osteoarthitis both knees, kidney stone, asthma, bilateral sensorineural hearing loss , severe profund hearing loss ( high frequencies ) , haemochromatosis gene carrier, warthins tumor-adenolymphoma( partial surgical removal ) , sciatica, lumbago, and currently fistula in ano ( pain in the ass ) .

About a year ago I started to find walking difficult , my toes went blue/black and I thought hmmm time to see the vet again. My CVI means I have poor circulation and odema in my lower limbs, had loads of cellulitis and a gangrenous ulcer in the past . My doc told me and my occ health people told me but it's really hard to get your head around being "disabled" , well it is for me, my past was .. Rugby, skiing, ice skating, mountain rescue , ski patrol . 3 black belts, registered martial arts instructor .

I still don't find my "disabled" label to live with , headology I guess , I work full time ( IT geek ) but that lot does limit my life and my options , neuropathy can be very nasty - feels like Im walking on broken glass some days , the OsteoArth cripples some days , walk 30 yards and stop .. another 30 yards and stop - old folk ( I'm 58 ) with zimmer frames overtake me .

What Im trying to say is YOU have to decide if you are disabled . Not easy sometimes.

cheers
Hamish
Ipswich
6.9%

A

Anonymous

just check your discrimination legislation there first.... coz if it's like here 'diabetes' would be considered a disability as part of your body doesn't work properly. Although when it comes to formally indicating to your employer that you have a disability... be sure to find out what their requirements are first. At my work if you indicate you have a disability formally they are required to get you regularly checked for fitness for duty. I just recently heard a story yesterday where some people with disabilities were getting targeted in an office... they are using the formal notification of a disability to target them. It's discrimination for sure but the employer is finding a way to work around it and get rid of people. :shock: So for that reason I will never formally tell my employer... my boss knows just so that she can look out for me, but only I can switch the disability indicator to 'on' on our payroll system thankfully. phew. So my advice to anyone is never formally tell your employer without checking fully what their requirements are.... if you don't have to tell them at all, don't bother. You only really need to informally tell your immediate boss and colleagues for safety reasons.