Do this forum help us to understand each other more?

Gabrielle_Tai

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi everyone, do you feel that this forum make us understand each other more and understand that nobody should be blame for their diabetes. It because many those that have no diabetes think that every diabetes is the same and some (sadly) type 1 think that type 2 people have only have themselves to blame. From this forum i learn a lot and also learn never to blame anybody for the disease their get because nobody in this world want to get sick.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
I think that the media should take the lion's share of the blame for the misconceptions that some non diabetics hold. That is why a forum like this one is a great place to dispel those misconceptions and to help spread the word that, as you say, no one deliberately makes themselves ill and so cannot be blamed for developing Diabetes of any type.

Reactions: Kikeena_

librarising

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
What a wise head on young shoulders you are !
I know that learning from this forum is important to me, as is sharing what I've learnt.
Geoff

Reactions: ziggy_w and Arlmy

kevinfitzgerald

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
All things that hurt (emotional and physical)
Hi everyone, do you feel that this forum make us understand each other more and understand that nobody should be blame for their diabetes. It because many those that have no diabetes think that every diabetes is the same and some (sadly) type 1 think that type 2 people have only have themselves to blame. From this forum i learn a lot and also learn never to blame anybody for the disease their get because nobody in this world want to get sick.

Hello there Gabrielle,

Sadly you will always get individuals whose opinions must be shared despite them sometimes being totally wrong or inappropriate

We are all on this forum in some way connected through our condition regardless of which type we may be..

I totally agree with you. No one should blame anyone for having this illness. It is chronic and if not kept in check it can have devastating consequence (again this is regardless of type)

Being honest I have been an on off member here for 2/3 years now and the vast majority of posts I have read during this time have been educational, supportive and also inspiring. And let us not forget humorous!

I enjoy this forum as it is good to connect with others that know what it is like, but there will always be the minority few that will practice the opposite to what this forum is all about, and that is supporting each other to get through the hard difficult and overwhelming times we all experience living with this illness..

And again, regardless of type..

AdamJames

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Yes to all of that.

I think that when you try to make sense of a scientific statement of fact, like "Type 2 strongly correlates with obesity" you quickly find out what type of person you are.

You can either wash your hands of overweight people with Type 2 and say they brought it on themselves, or you can be intelligent and humane.

If you choose the latter, you'll ask intelligent questions like:

"How come so many overweight people don't have Type 2, and how come so many thinner people do?"

And humane questions like:

"Now that we have that correlation, how can we as a species use the data to help ourselves stay healthy or return to health".

AdamJames

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
And conversely I've gained a lot of respect for Type 1s.

I had no idea just what an emotional burden it was and how much relentless focus they needed to put into monitoring themselves until I joined this forum.

I'm not going to say I feel sorry for Type 1s as that would be patronising, and I've no reason to suspect that most of them aren't out there enjoying their lives right now while I'm sitting typing messages into a forum. But I have a new understanding of what it is to have that condition and they've got my respect.

Jo_the_boat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes to all of that.

I think that when you try to make sense of a scientific statement of fact, like "Type 2 strongly correlates with obesity" you quickly find out what type of person you are.

You can either wash your hands of overweight people with Type 2 and say they brought it on themselves, or you can be intelligent and humane.

If you choose the latter, you'll ask intelligent questions like:

"How come so many overweight people don't have Type 2, and how come so many thinner people do?"

And humane questions like:

"Now that we have that correlation, how can we as a species use the data to help ourselves stay healthy or return to health".

Well said. (worth more than a 'like')

Reactions: AdamJames

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
The reason there's a correlation between obesity and type 2 is that they're both located on the same gene. http://www.phlaunt.com/diabetes/14046739.php
I am glad that this peice mentions MONW and the fact that obesity is a symptom but not all of those with T2 show outward signs of this symptom. Thank you for posting this plainly spoken peice.