Do you carry low carb snacks with you ?

letstalk1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
and what ? And what is your low carb go to snack at home thats quick and easy?

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
and what ? And what is your low carb go to snack at home thats quick and easy?
Nuts and cheese. Mayo and veggies.
I carry nuts most often. And meals including low carb and some carb veggie snack if I'm low. If I do t eat one or the other they just come home and get included in dinner. I always have a soft sided cooler with ice packs with me as I'm not usually home when I eat lunch. Then depending on bs I can eat what I need.

Though I. Type one so carbs are necessary. Mine are only veggies being ultra low carb

Reactions: letstalk1

chalup

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I don't carry with me but nuts, boiled eggs and gluten free pepperoni are my go to at home.

Pura Vida

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dark chocolate 72% or higher.does not affect my BG to much.low on carbs

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I carry nuts and sugarfree gums ( not totally carbfree though)
And hard boiled eggs and cottage cheese while having a day at fitness

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Don't carry snacks with me - very rarely snack these days. If travelling or going away I might take a pack of Awfully Posh pork crackling or some salted almonds with me asa back up, but they usually end up returning home with me!

hca

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Don't tend to carry snacks, but if fancying a little something extra its pork scratchings, boiled eggs or nuts X

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
A Babybel cheese.
A mini Peperami - the full-sized ones are too big really.
A hardboiled egg with a sachet of mayonnaise.

I've stopped eating pork scratchings and nuts as I don't have an 'off' switch for those...

I tend to have one or two snacks a day if I'm very active, busy or exercising as I get hungry. I don't really snack if I'm not.

:)

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
I don't normally carry snacks unless I know I'm going to be out all day - but even if I'm going to be out all day I'll normally buy myself a small container of fresh raspberries in a supermarket as a substitute for lunch.

At home, again, I try not to eat snacks (especially as I'm doing the ND at the moment) - but there is always peanuts and other nuts in the cupboards and 90% Lindt choc in the freezer.

Tabbyjoolz

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Cruelty, bigotry
I carry a packet of almonds around with me if I know I'm likely to wait a long time to eat. At home, I rarely snack but if I do it's usually a handful of nuts, a small piece of cheese or some homemade seed crackers with butter.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I tend not to snack - If I am out and hungry I usually find a supermarket with a hot meat counter and buy a small chicken and then find a few tomatoes, some prepared mixed salad - maybe some coleslaw - yumm.
I carry wipes, a metal bowl with a lid and eating utensils in the car or my backpack.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I used to carry something all the time, back when I was regularly hypoing. But I tried to use them as a hypo-preventer rather than a hypo-treatment, since they were low carb and therefore slower to act than normal hypo treatments.

In cool weather I had babybel in my bag. Or 9Bars.

When I go away to an environment where I don't have control over my eating, I will always have a bag of cashews in my bag, some 70% choc and/or a 9Bar. That way, if what is offered isn't low carb then I can last indefinitely till I next have access to my type of food.

At home, I eat a couple of squares of 70% choc a day, and rarely have other snacks. But there are nuts in the cupboard. I usually just have a coffeesubstitute and cream unless my next meal is a long way away.

letstalk1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I don't normally carry snacks unless I know I'm going to be out all day - but even if I'm going to be out all day I'll normally buy myself a small container of fresh raspberries in a supermarket as a substitute for lunch.

At home, again, I try not to eat snacks (especially as I'm doing the ND at the moment) - but there is always peanuts and other nuts in the cupboards and 90% Lindt choc in the freezer.
I could never keep chocolate in the house I wont stop at 1 piece.

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
I could never keep chocolate in the house I wont stop at 1 piece.

Two squares of 90% is enough if it's frozen - if it's at room temperature then I will want more - but when frozen it takes longer to melt and I find it more satisfying. :) Although I'm not having any at the moment due to being on the Newcastle Diet. :(

AloeSvea

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Nuts (#1 go-to on-the-go snack choice)
Home cooked marinated in spices and olive oil chicken wings from the fridge.
Cheese pieces
Stevia-sweetened chocolate bar

jeanser

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Nuts are great. I don't carry them around unless I'm out for a long walk, but I keep a pot of mixed nuts in work and snack on a handful or two of these plus a Satsuma to add a bit of moisture. Individual packs of nuts are expensive so I buy big bags from Indian sweet stores and mix them up myself - luvly jubbly. They're very high in cals though so should only snack on small amounts

VioletViolet

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
A Babybel cheese.
A mini Peperami - the full-sized ones are too big really.
A hardboiled egg with a sachet of mayonnaise.

I've stopped eating pork scratchings and nuts as I don't have an 'off' switch for those...

I tend to have one or two snacks a day if I'm very active, busy or exercising as I get hungry. I don't really snack if I'm not.

:)
Ah the off switch, mines broken too for nuts. I wish we could get it fixed, I'd happily increase my insurance premiums!

Ultramum

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
When I go away to an environment where I don't have control over my eating, I will always have a bag of cashews in my bag, some 70% choc and/or a 9Bar. That way, if what is offered isn't low carb then I can last indefinitely till I next have access to my type of food.

That's a handy tip - just finished a mountain of work and am now packing for a month long trip to Australia and Dubai.

I tend to just skip lunch now but usually take half a dozen pecan nuts and a Babybel to work with me just in case.

Off to Google a 9bar