1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Do you count leafy salad?

Discussion in 'Ketogenic diet forum' started by Rosso Rebel, Jun 9, 2019.

1. Rosso Rebel

Rosso Rebel · Member

Good Morning, a bit of background-
    I was diagnosed with type 2 a couple of months ago and since have googled and joined forums to find out more about eating plans to try to get off metformin.

I started to eat Keto about a month ago and have been able to reduce the amount of tablets which is brilliant.

I have been concerned about the lack of salad / veg I can fit into 20g of carbs per day and some people advocate not counting leafy salad - do you count all carbs or do you exclude leafy salad?

Thanks for your help

• Like Like x 1
    • Hug Hug x 1
  2. lovinglife

lovinglife Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I count all my carbs - if you are low carb you may get away with a few extra from leafy salads and not counting them, but if you say you are keto you need to count all carbs as keto isn't just about how many carbs but also your ratios of carbs, protein and fats :)

• Useful Useful x 1
  3. lovinglife

lovinglife Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Meant to say well done on reducing your meds! :)

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  4. bulkbiker

bulkbiker Type 2 · Oracle

Yes you should count them but 100g of lettuce contains 1.4 g of carbs so you could have a kilo and still be sub 20g per day..
    That's quite a lot of lettuce.

• Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
  5. Jim Lahey

Jim Lahey I reversed my Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I don’t/didn’t ‘count’ any carbs. I just only eat/ate them solely from leafy greens and overground vegetables. Possibly some nuts. Never totted up any values and managed to maintain blood ketone levels higher than ~3.0 consistently. Past tense implied because I’ve recently cut out nearly all plants and eat mostly carnivore, but that is another story.

That is my experience. Others may find it easier to count vegetables but personally I think it’s a waste of time unless you’re consuming a kilo of salad and broccoli with each meal.

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  6. Dr Snoddy

Dr Snoddy Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I'm with Jim on carbohydrate from vege. I have never really counted carbohydrates from above ground vege as they are valuable natural sources of vitamins and minerals. I'm more cautious about below ground vegetables and limit my intake of these. Life is too short to be overly concerned about the minutiae.
    P.S. I have had a non-diabetic HbA1c for almost 5 years and take 500mg Metformin per day.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    #6 Dr Snoddy, Jun 9, 2019 at 11:47 AM
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2019
  7. BibaBee

BibaBee Family member · Well-Known Member

I'd also add to this that it is worth making sure you are counting net carbs rather than gross carbs. I was alarmed at first to discover a medium avocado according to My Fitness Pal was 12.8g of carbs! I couldn't work out why they were a Keto staple! I then worked out this was gross carbs and if you look up a medium avocado from a UK supermarket it's only 5!

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  8. Pasha

Pasha Prediabetes · Expert

My meter says count ALL the carbs, leafy or not .

• Winner Winner x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  9. Robbity

Robbity Type 2 · Expert

The salad will still contain those carbs whether or not you choose to actually count them, and your body will still process them when you eat them! (And as @Pasha said,your meter will know too, and you may see any increase in carbs reflected in your post meal glucose levels.) On a very low carb diet even a few carbs could be a significant percentage, but how you might respond to these small amounts is individual to you.

You will need to know whether the total quantities of carbs you're eating are low enough to get you into ketosis and keep you there long enough to become keto/fat adapted. After that you can be a bit more relaxed in what you count and eat.

Robbity

• Winner Winner x 2
  10. chrestomanci

chrestomanci Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I bought a set of kitchen scales for the first time in my life today, so I could weigh and visualise what a certain amount of 'allowed' veg looks like.I'm able to count the carbs from this measurement, rather than just guessing, as I could be way out. I've got a notebook and a calculator next to the scales (!) This is because I'm very new to this. Soon it will become second nature I'm sure.
    I've always survived on ready meals with extra veg before this as my cooking is usually a disaster. Have to learn new skills now :)
    @Rosso Rebel, I was wondering why you want to come off metformin, is it the usual stomach upset? Well done for getting your amount of tablets down! I just started metformin and am suffering my way through the side effects. Some people find it very useful though, and stay on it even in remission.

• Like Like x 2
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook