Do you experience hyper as well as hypo when you do what we shouldn't? For example - caffeinated coffee and chocolate biscuits as snack?

SJP23

Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi,

I am finding my way with reactive hyperglycaemia and already appreciating the positives of reducing the glucose spikes. However like any new habit forming I fell off the wagon today. I'm not beating myself up about that. however, unlike the past, I am now armed with a glucose monitor and new knowledge that what I experience is not a standard physical response.

Re: falling off the wagon. Do you experience above normal range high blood sugar after doing this, before the usual hypo sugar dive? I went up to 11.5 afterwards and then the usual plummet afterwards. My question is do you go high like this? I thought reactive hypoglycaemia was about abnormal lows only, not both?

I drank coffee and ate biscuits and chocolate in between the 2 healthy meals I consumed. I felt dreadful and what a reminder of what isn't great.

Last edited:

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Hi,

I am finding my way with reactive hyperglycaemia and already appreciating the positives of reducing the glucose spikes. However like any new habit forming I fell off the wagon today. I'm not beating myself up about that. however, unlike the past, I am now armed with a glucose monitor and new knowledge that what I experience is not a standard physical response.

Re: falling off the wagon. Do you experience above normal range high blood sugar after doing this, before the usual hypo sugar dive? I went up to 11.5 afterwards and then the usual plummet afterwards. My question is do you go high like this? I thought reactive hypoglycaemia was about abnormal lows only, not both?

I drank coffee and ate biscuits and chocolate in between the 2 healthy meals I consumed. I felt dreadful and what a reminder of what isn't great.
Hi again.
Here's the science bit.....
When you eat. If you have RH, Regardless of what it is, the hormonal response which is many hormones is not the right balance. In particular the hormonal first phase response of insulin is weak. So any carbs, which mostly provide glucose, is too much, for the insulin. So you should get the spike, relative to the amount of carbs eaten.
For me, a chocolate biscuit is around 10mmols from normal levels.
A single small potato is around 8mmols.
A bowl of porridgew, no milk, no sugar. Is around 13mmols.
About ten chips, and I'm going really high now, around 17mmols, yeah that high!

This is the trigger for the brain telling your pancreas, to get producing some more insulin. It does, however it is too much, it is referred to as an overshoot, excess insulin, which is the sugar crash and resulting hypo.

I also learnt that because of other imbalances and your brain giving orders that by the time, you are having the sugar crash, for someone who hasn't got RH, the liver responds with glucogenisis, a liver dump. But for whatever reason, probably too much insulin, it doesn't stop the crash.

There may be other factors such as insulin resistance or not enough alpha, beta cells, epinephrine, or highly susceptible to intolerance to certain sugars, such as lactose intolerance.

It's alright to fall off the wagon, I have done it from time to time and it does seem your hyper/hypo awareness is very good, no doubt the symptoms will have alerted you.
Which actually means you are gaining quite a bit of control. So well done.
That is why we advise low carb.
And stopping the hypos.

Best wishes.

Reactions: mukesh624

SJP23

Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Lamont, That is interesting. Many thanks for your examples of how your sugar levels peak.

Reactions: Lamont D

Giraffe 95

Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes I definitely do experience high blood sugar after eating something sweet or carbs. I have been aware of for years, without realising it was a symptom of something wrong.
For example doughnuts and sweets make me go super buzzy and headachy. When I drank the ensure for food tolerance test, BS went up to 13, and I felt woozy.
A fish finger sandwich sends me to 10. Chilli con carne with brown rice maybe 8-9

• Informative
Reactions: Lamont D

MissMuffett

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I always know if I’ve eaten too many carbs (I try and aim for under 20g a day) as I have a hot flush and have to start peeling off my layers of clothing! Good job I live on my own now :happy: I can’t drink wine anymore either, even a couple of sips makes me feel unwell, shame.

Giraffe 95

Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
Diet only
I always know if I’ve eaten too many carbs (I try and aim for under 20g a day) as I have a hot flush and have to start peeling off my layers of clothing! Good job I live on my own now :happy: I can’t drink wine anymore either, even a couple of sips makes me feel unwell, shame.
Do you know what is the reason the wine makes you feel unwell? I’m the same, haven’t had alcohol for over a month a feel better for it.