Greg1957

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Prunes
I have just written this post as an answer in another thread, My wife is bending my ear saying that more people should read it, so I will place it here, if you are in agreement, please copy and paste it to everyone that you can think of including friends, family, the media, and perhaps even your MP.

There is something very wrong with this picture! I have become ill like many more millions around the world, yet the root cause appears to be lifestyle and environment, in particular the food we eat. Whilst researching the low carb high fat diet, I was surprised to see that 100 years ago, this diet was the standard treatment for epilepsy Alzheimer's and a multitude of other afflictions. So why have the government and health experts not been shouting this from the rooftops,

To understand this we must ask "who benefits from millions of people dying from these afflictions," I will start the list,

1. corporations who mass produce cheap processed food often filled with additives like Monosodium Glutamate, aspartame , high fructose corn syrup etc in order to make the rank taste good, for example chicken nuggets and hot dog sausages made from mechanically recovered meat.

2. The farmers that have moved away from rotational farming to intensive farming where now generally only three elements are added rather than the 80+ pre 1940's the government know about this, they commissioned a white paper from professor David Thomas that told them so, incidentally he also told them that the depletion of minerals and elements such as lithium would increase the incidence of mental health issues. this is one of many links out there https://www.nutraingredients.com/Article/2006/02/14/Remineralisation-vital-for-future-of-food

3, the pharmaceutical companies that make huge profits pushing drugs like gliclizide on us, which only compounds our health issues,

or 4 the government for not doing more to help we the people, possibly because many of them have shares in one of the previous 3. I could continue, but I will let you think about who else stands to gain from millions of people getting ill. Any suggestions?

Within just 8 days I am witnessing the benefits of a low carbohydrate high fat diet, I am losing weight, I am rarely hungry, and my Blood glucose (BG) is dropping. My energy is slowly returning and the fog in my head is beginning to clear. So how come I have had diabetes for 14 years and have never heard of the benefits of this diet by my health professionals, I have not seen any public health films about it, no advertisements or documentaries on the television, I learn't it here on the forum of www.diabetes.co.uk . How many millions of people with diabetes, autism, epilepsy dementia etc are living in blind ignorance of this diet. And how do those of us that know, take on the might of corporations and governments in order to tell the world what the solution could be. Personally I would not have a clue where to start.

I do know that people are dying from antibiotic resistance whilst pharmaceutical companies drive up the price of the few products left that can help, in the full knowledge that there is a branch of medicine dealing with phages that kill infections at the source, just google "Georgia phage" and see what info is out there, here is a link to start you off https://www.phagetherapycenter.com/pii/PatientServlet?command=static_home. or you could search wikipedia for the background information. But the corporations will not make the same money. So it is kept quiet, phages kill infections like mrsa, but people suffer and die in ignorance.

My emotions are mixed, do I feel angry that I along with others have been left for years in ignorance, you bet I do, do I feel helpless and unable to do anything about it...yes most certainly. Do I feel sad that there are people who knowingly profit from keeping people in ignorance, of course.what next? I don't have a clue.

I do know that alcoholics will continue to drink, smokers will continue to smoke, but at least they have the benefit of information. They continue their habits in the full knowledge of the consequences to them and their loved ones. But the diabetic, the person with epilepsy, autism or dementia is not afforded the luxury indeed the right of having the correct information laid before them.

I am not asking for chicken nuggets to be banned, nor pasta, bread, hot dog sausages etc all I want is honesty and directness, I want the public to be honestly informed in all media so that they can make the right choices to protect themselves, their family, even generations not yet born etc. But how can I make this happen, my son has witnessed my improvement, my son and his wife are now of their own volition on a low carbohydrate/ high fat diet. So that is a start. Can I get the message out to millions, I do not think that I have a chance!

Am I crazy or do I have a point? Where does it go from here.......... probably not that far. What do you think!

Metabolism_Boss

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Reality TV shows. Celebrities that are famous for being famous
I think at least in the case of low carb eating for diabetics, a sea change is coming. The reason I think this is the number of doctors recently all claiming to be responsible for diabetics changing their eating pattern. Diabetics themselves made that change because they got fed up with health professionals advocating diets that would severely impair their health if not outright kill them.

I think it's also coming to light just how bad nutrition scientists are at science. It's extremely difficult to control an experiment combining people and food, but I have seen papers where they have bent their research to fit a pre-conceived theory. Humans aren't the only ones receiving hidden sugar - have you had a look at sugar content of some pet foods? Sugar is becoming a pollutant.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. I agree with a lot of what you say but you have introduced too many variables. For example there is nothing wrong with the drug Gliclazide when used for those suspected of being LADA and for a short period. The 'dangers' of aspartame are over-played as well. Be careful to avoid following the 'organic forever' mantra which is also over-sold. Focus on the things such as HFCS which have been proven to be harmful based on good science. Sadly there will always be people who will play on the ignorance of others hence the term 'snake-oil'. Our opportunity here is to present information that we are confident has worked for us and we believe may work for others.

Reactions: Prem51

Greg1957

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Prunes
Hi. I agree with a lot of what you say but you have introduced too many variables. For example there is nothing wrong with the drug Gliclazide when used for those suspected of being LADA and for a short period. The 'dangers' of aspartame are over-played as well. Be careful to avoid following the 'organic forever' mantra which is also over-sold. Focus on the things such as HFCS which have been proven to be harmful based on good science. Sadly there will always be people who will play on the ignorance of others hence the term 'snake-oil'. Our opportunity here is to present information that we are confident has worked for us and we believe may work for others.

Thank you for your excellent reply, as for gliclizide, I agree that for some, it has its short term uses, but for many type 2 diabetics, insulin is not the problem, indeed we have more than enough, but insulin overload damages ever more beta cells as you will be aware, and this speeds up end stage diabetes, the answer surely is to reduce the amount of glucose in our bodies, and free up the liver and pancreas so that it can do its job more efficiently.
Having studied aspartame msg and hfcs, I disagree that we should go light on aspartame, I ran into this whilst studying for my bachelor of dementia care. I am happy to swap papers with you.

Please help me to assemble an effective case that might oblige our government and in turn our health service to inform the general public re the dangers of glucose, and how we can protect ourselves from developing insulin resistance and onward to diabetes, epilepsy obesity etc

Last edited:

leahkian

You make some very good points, when i got diabetes in 1979 you used a glass camber to put your insulin in and a big needle which had to be washed out after every use and blood machines were not invented, I did get BM when i was about 8 years old and had to raise the money myself it cost £90 and was the size of a brick but now diabetes is such a big money maker that new things are coming on the market and if you get any complecations of diabetes even more money roles in. I was told at the first hospital that i got a pump off that i could only have a medtronic pump as they had made a deal with them, which did not surprises me one bit as they changed my insulin often.

The reason that we are not told about different diets is because different trust have different views on the matter. You only have to look at our PM Mrs May who is a diabetic with the latest omipod to see what she had done to help diabetics over the past year, if a diabetic PM is not going to help diabetics then who is. Most MP's have private medical healthcare so are they worried if the NHS goes down the pan the answer is no because if you look close at private medical companies they have a MP on there board and if the government outsource work guess who gets the contract.

Two and a half years ago i had a SPK transplant which was great until my blood levels dropped to normal level and we discovered the damage the diabetes had done but we won't go into that. I found out that i would have to pay for anti-rejection drugs as they are not classed as life saving drugs, how can that be true i do not no. When i was in hospital there was another diabetic who come in he was blind and did not look in good shape so they took him off the list but he found a way to get back on the list. I have a friend who has had cancer and now is in renal failure but cannot be put on the list for another 18 months with having cancer.

I think that diabetics all over the world get indifferent treatment and the number of people dying through diabetes will rise year after year. Our government told us there was no money tree but found a billion to keep in power and now 60 billion to get out of europe. The opt out with organs is a great idea but that means more ops with more consultant's, nurses theater staff and beds but were is this going to come from, the staff in the NHS are on their knees and need help. Over the years i have taken an interest in all the diabetic courses that are on offer the DAFNE courses was the one that i was told that i had to take but i refused and told them i had been carb counting for over 25 years, so instead of 5 days i went on a half day course. I still ended up in a row with the nurse and dietician over how many carbs i would need for a certain amount of food and put it to them that they may do research on 10000 people but then average the results out. I tried to explain that there are no two diabetics the same and if there was we would all need the same treatment.

I think diabetes is a silent killer and even though they can do great things now there is still no cure, the only way i found out about the food we eat is that i had a personal trainer for 6 months and he educated me on the effects of different foods. The most things that we like have more stuff put into them to make them taste better, There are many people who benefit from diabetes but it is normally not the diabetes. Can someone please tell me how Scotland, Wales and N.I do not have to pay for medication and in England we do also when you go in your GP's there is a sign that says paracetamols cost the NHS three times more than at the supermarket, If that is the case then who ever is dealing with buying medication needs to be sacked for failure to do his job.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Thank you for your excellent reply, as for gliclizide, I agree that for some, it has its short term uses, but for many type 2 diabetics, insulin is not the problem, indeed we have more than enough, but insulin overload damages ever more beta cells as you will be aware, and this speeds up end stage diabetes, the answer surely is to reduce the amount of glucose in our bodies, and free up the liver and pancreas so that it can do its job more efficiently.
Having studied aspartame msg and hfcs, I disagree that we should go light on aspartame, I ran into this whilst studying for my bachelor of dementia care. I am happy to swap papers with you.

Please help me to assemble an effective case that might oblige our government and in turn our health service to inform the general public re the dangers of glucose, and how we can protect ourselves from developing insulin resistance and onward to diabetes, epilepsy obesity etc

Agree. Esp on Aspartame. I have a suspicion that the patent on these 'alternatives' is far too long, it lasts almost a generation and causes untold damage. That is why I eschew all artificial sweeteners, I simply do not trust the manufacturers after learning what actually happens to these chemicals biologically.
As to HFCS, it is well documented as one of the causes of the diabesity epidemic.

Reactions: Greg1957

DavidGrahamJones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Newspapers
Our government told us there was no money tree but found a billion to keep in power and now 60 billion to get out of Europe.

Just £60 billion? Arguably an amount we're contractually obliged to cough up, how could a parliament (they all voted in favour of the referendum) be so stupid to have a referendum several years before paying for something agreed to in 2013. Just wait till all those EU regions of the UK who received EU infrastructure funding start asking the UK government to make up their shortfall. Then there's the University research funding and let's not forget the farmer's subsidies.

Can someone please tell me how Scotland, Wales and N.I do not have to pay for medication and in England we do

I stopped paying for prescriptions the moment I was diagnosed in 1997 when I was 45 years old. NHS England still has prescription charges because the NHS devolved into 4 separate entities, England, Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland, each with control over their own budgets. This has led to different levels of service in the 4 areas and if you investigate the amount of money per person each area gets you will see another difference. Look a bit further and see the difference in waiting times.

DavidGrahamJones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Newspapers
I was surprised to see that 100 years ago, this diet was the standard treatment for epilepsy Alzheimer's and a multitude of other afflictions.

The history of low carb is very interesting . . . . to me anyway.

William Banting adopted a low carb diet in 1863 to lose weight and declared it "simply miraculous". The verb, to bant, meaning to diet, was absorbed into the vernacular and appeared in the Oxford dictionary until 1963. He had actually consulted Dr William Harvey who by chance, had just returned from a Paris conference where he had heard a Monsieur Claude Bernard lecture on diet and diabetes. Dr Harvey's advice to Banting, as a result of what he learned at the lecture, was to cut out potatoes, bread, sugar, milk and beer (pasta and rice have been around for centuries - neither mentioned in Banting's diet, possibly because he didn't eat them to begin with). Claude Bernard is recognised today and there are a series of lectures baring his name. He is the man who discovered that glucose is synthesised by the liver, even when animals and humans have been fasting.

Banting wrote his "letter on corpulence" in 1864, selling 63,000 copies and being translated into French and German. Neither he nor Dr. Harvey made money out of the low carb diet, but people like Atkins did. Sadly, Banting's once portly form was regularly satirised in Punch cartoons, even long after his death; his name was used in music hall ballads and the diet was even referred to by Evelyn Waugh in A Handful of Dust. I believe the Atkins diet although very popular also received some ridicule.

DavidGrahamJones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Newspapers
possibly because many of them have shares in one of the previous 3. I could continue

Not without showing your empirical evidence. I'm not a great fan of MP's but they do have to register their shareholdings and we can inspect that register. It's interesting reading! https://publications.parliament.uk/pa/cm/cmregmem/contents1719.htm

What's more worrying, and hopefully we're never going to get to the state the U.S. is in, is lobbying and the amount of money paid by companies to lobby. See if you can find what is spent in the U.S. on lobbying and by whom, it's horrendous. £3.15 billion in 2016!

M

Member34835

Hi Agree with lots of your post and feel the frustration about the lack of public health info ab0out a way of eating that could benefit so nany! Still one of the reasons that we are here is that a foid grouo (f4at and aaturated fat( got demonised before good science established that this was warranted so now public health is wary of advocating a low carb and high fat aporoach. I feel it would be wrong to demonise carbs thiugh sugar seems ro have more evidence against it (hfcs is chemicalky nearly identical and in both cases its the fructose that is the villain( Btw a great film to get less convinced friens/family to watch is That Sugar Film or anything by Cereal Kilkers or Carb Loaded!

Reactions: Greg1957

Greg1957

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Prunes
There are over 50 different names for monosodium glutamate, you only have to label a product as containing MSG if it contains more than 98% MSG, if you have OXO in your cupboard, take a look at the ingredients. Could your gravy be killing you? Research MSG, or " the 50 names of MSG" and you might get a clue, then ask yourself " What is going on"