Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty to Animals/Children
Liars/Manipulators/Bullying
Remind me not to go out for a meal with you Anna..................:eek:

Seriously though, hypo's can do some strange things to people and get them to act out of character.
Very true and such a valid point .
As the body release's adrenalin during a hypo .
Its the bodys fight hormone to fight off imminent hypo .

Reactions: 2 people

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Very true and such a valid point .
As the body release's adrenalin during a hypo .
Its the bodys fight hormone to fight off imminent hypo .

That's it, the fewer we have the better.......

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes it would make sense for type 2's, just wondering how that might work for type 1's as we produce little or no insulin.

Yes, I have no idea whether he was referring to type 1 or 2.

andreco

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Okay, so this might seem a little odd, but what I mean is, can you estimate your blood sugar from how your body feels?

I don't mean to the nearest 0.5 mmol/l, but more widely.

We are told about warning signs around hypos, but who else also feels the high blood sugars setting in?

I've recently started low carbing, and obviously you end up in a ketosis state. What I wasn't expecting was for it to feel like I had a moderately high blood sugar. By that I mean 12-16 mmol, rather than >16. It was slightly disconcerting but is something that I am getting used to.

It also made me realise just how much of my diabetes I actually 'feel'.

Anyone else get something similar?

andreco

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Okay, so this might seem a little odd, but what I mean is, can you estimate your blood sugar from how your body feels?

I don't mean to the nearest 0.5 mmol/l, but more widely.

We are told about warning signs around hypos, but who else also feels the high blood sugars setting in?

I've recently started low carbing, and obviously you end up in a ketosis state. What I wasn't expecting was for it to feel like I had a moderately high blood sugar. By that I mean 12-16 mmol, rather than >16. It was slightly disconcerting but is something that I am getting used to.

It also made me realise just how much of my diabetes I actually 'feel'.

Anyone else get something similar?
I became a diabetic type one 40 years ago and I can tell pretty much what me blood sugar is by just he way I feel in myself...I had proved it many times at the clinic I visit by telling them before they checked my suger..

Beverley2531

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
liver and onions, kidneys, offal
Hi everybody

When I go hypo I get ratty and when I am in a cafe or restaurant and they have forgotten to put my order in (which has happened a few times) I do turn into a right Diva. When I explain I am diabetic they usually offer me cake or biscuits, which is nice but I don't want my BGs to go up too high before I eat my main meal. It's like having pudding as a starter :(
It can be really embarrassing for the people I am with but I usually get a discount for my inconvenience. LOL

Reactions: 6 people

Kezzer4321

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I relatively new to testing and low carbing... but since I have been doing it I get a headache when my bloods are too high - over 9 and the same headache and feel a little shaky when then are under 4. I never had this when I ate what I wanted and buried my head in the sand. Its strange and unwanted sensation :(

Kezzer4321

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
No I take tablets, Metformin 2 x 500mg tablets/3 times a day and 80mg Gliclazide 2 times a day.

sami kamal

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Other
What you need to know about diabetes and diet
Eating right is vital if you’re trying to prevent or control diabetes. While exercise is also important, what you eat has the biggest impact when it comes to weight loss. But what does eating right for diabetes mean? You may be surprised to hear that your nutritional needs are virtually the same everyone else: no special foods or complicated diets are necessary.
A diabetes diet is simply a healthy eating plan that is high in nutrients, low in fat, and moderate in calories. It is a healthy diet for anyone! The only difference is that you need to pay more attention to some of your food choices—most notably the carbohydrates you eat.
http://diabetestipsonline.blogspot.com/

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I relatively new to testing and low carbing... but since I have been doing it I get a headache when my bloods are too high - over 9 and the same headache and feel a little shaky when then are under 4. I never had this when I ate what I wanted and buried my head in the sand. Its strange and unwanted sensation :(
But a helpful sensation. Now your body is back in the healthy range most of the time, it is able to warn you when you stray outside that range.

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
As an additive question, how many people carry glucose tablets at all times to treat hypos? I've seen a couple of references to people getting low in restaurants, and having to get food in their when three glucose tabs would have resolved the issue with no impact on appetite and without "putting pudding first".

Alanp35

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cricket, golf
I always carry glucotabs and test meter/ strips. Have only had three hypos, worst was 1.7 at home. It's important to me that I try to manage hypos,else driving licence may be at stake.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@tim2000s

I'm type 2 with a history of reactive hypoglycaemia, and if I eat glucose, sugar or similar, I'm going to have to wrestle with knock on effects of seesawing BG for days.

Then there's the added factor that if my BG drops below a certain level I will get a variety of symptoms including a strange determination to only eat what I want. Glucose tabs are unpleasant. Restaurant food, is pleasant. So is chocolate, chips or whatever... Ironically, I have been known to refuse an apple, get up walk away, and go find a doughnut. Sad but true.

And there's no point arguing, either. Another of my symptoms is the kind of bad temper that could lead to violence.

I'm not proud of it, in fact I carry appetising snacks at all times, to avoid the next occurrence. I cringe at the things I have said and done in the past, but glucose tabs are not an answer that would work for me.

Just leave me in peace, let me eat what I want, and 10 mins later I'll be human again.

Thankfully this happens incredibly rarely, because I'm well on top of things (thank you low carb!).

andcol

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
@tim2000s I can tell you my BG levels to about 0.1mmol/l once I am at 5.6 or below. The tips of my fingers cold cols at this point and as I go lower the coldness travels through my fingers, hands and lower forearm. So at the moment (jut starting my lunch) am sitting at 4.8 as my fingers are completely cold. I also get the same in my toes but that tends to manifest itself with an additional needle like stab in both my big toes when below 5.2.

Forgot to add that when I hit 9 I start yawning - can't get above 10 any more no matter what I eat

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
As an additive question, how many people carry glucose tablets at all times to treat hypos? I've seen a couple of references to people getting low in restaurants, and having to get food in their when three glucose tabs would have resolved the issue with no impact on appetite and without "putting pudding first".

Always carry Jelly Babies on me at all times, also keep some in my bedside cabinet and have glucotabs in the car. In my kitchen cupboard I keep 2 party-size tins of cokes in case I'm very low, only had to use them once but keep them there for reassurance.

andreco

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
A liquid glucose works quicker as it enters the blood stream quicker

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@tim2000s

You may also find this thread interesting:
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/rule-of-15-my-****.63781/

jackois

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I get a prickly feeling that runs up my spine when my blood is around 5 to 5.5 when it goes away. It can be useful as long as you can remember whether the last one was rising or falling....

however,it's not pleasant if my sugar stays around this level...