Do you have any other autoimmune conditions?

gavin86

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Just wondering. I have developed pernicious anemia due to anti-parietal cell antibodies (can't get b12 from food), which came on about the same time as my type1.

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Not sure about auto immune but kidney stones and high BP followed after type 1 DX

Sibyl

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Not yet but my dad had Rheumatoid Arthritis so I know it's always possible. Keep calm and carry on.

Lesleywo

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
My addiction to carbs
Addisons disease and Hashimoto's 19 yrs ago and early LADA more recently

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Under-active thyroid and not sure if this is auto-immune related but I get tendonitis in my thumbs and shoulders. Am keen to hear ideas from others about boosting the immune system as mine seems to of gone on holiday...:rolleyes:

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Under-active thyroid and not sure if this is auto-immune related but I get tendonitis in my thumbs and shoulders. Am keen to hear ideas from others about boosting the immune system as mine seems to of gone on holiday...:rolleyes:
My new favorite supplement is R Alpha lipoic acid. I can't even begin to brag about the benefits I've noticed.

http://www.life-enhancement.com/mag...update-the-ideal-antioxidant-gets-even-better
http://www.lifeextension.com/magazine/2007/10/nu_lipoic_acid/page-01

As for RA and tendinitis are you staying away from nightshade veggies? Potato, tomato, eggplant and all forms of peppers? Also gluten!

Though I'm not achy anymore alpha lipoic has taken what I did have away. And I'm now able toneat some spicy foods ( hot pepper seasoning) tomato occasionally and some cheese and feel zero negative effects.

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Used to have hyperthyroidism and was told to drink radioactive iodine which I did regret as my gland was totally killed I Think it could be an autoimmune condition

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Graves' disease so had my thyroid zapped (radioiodine, like you, @Freema ) and now take take replacement thyroxine. Husband has rheumatoid arthritis so we're quite the autoimmune household!

:)

D

Deleted Account

I have Raynaud's which seems to be associated with auto-immunity.
However, I remember having Raynaud's in primary school and only had diabetes since my mid-thirties. I also remember my mother and grandmother having Raynaud's but there is no history of diabetes (of any type) in my family.
So I have never connected the two together.

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
My new favorite supplement is R Alpha lipoic acid. I can't even begin to brag about the benefits I've noticed.

Thanks Kristin, happy to give that a go, will try anything just not keen on steroid injections as they send my bg levels through the roof ;)

Steve14

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Psoriasis, followed by T1D and now Dupuytren's. No family history of either. Symptoms started to appear after PTSD from narcissistic spouse. Was healthy prior the marriage.

fittaedae

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People!

http://www.life-enhancement.com/mag...update-the-ideal-antioxidant-gets-even-better

As for RA and tendinitis are you staying away from nightshade veggies? Potato, tomato, eggplant and all forms of peppers? Also gluten!

Though I'm not achy anymore alpha lipoic has taken what I did have away. And I'm now able toneat some spicy foods ( hot pepper seasoning) tomato occasionally and some cheese and feel zero negative effects.

Hi Kristin, does it have to be specifically R Alpha Lipoic Acid? Can find Alpha Lipoic acid locally? Thanks :)

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
I have Coeliac disease, and oral lichen planus, (also Osteoporosis and Restless leg syndrome ) Coeliac and osteoporosis are related, oteoporosis has been classed as 'a bone morphogenetic protein auto-immune disorder'.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Psoriasis, followed by T1D and now Dupuytren's. No family history of either. Symptoms started to appear after PTSD from narcissistic spouse. Was healthy prior the marriage.

Hi @Steve14 I was diagnosed with Type 1 after Ex husband left me and our two children, a great leaving present :rolleyes::wideyed: I was perfectly healthy before that !

Glenmac

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have Coeliac disease, and oral lichen planus, (also Osteoporosis and Restless leg syndrome ) Coeliac and osteoporosis are related, oteoporosis has been classed as 'a bone morphogenetic protein auto-immune disorder'.
I have lichen planus,on my body, not my mouth,diagnosed in 2012 after a bad attack of Noro Virus ,followed by pneumonia.After mistakenly being treated for excema I was finally sent to a consultant and given the correct treatment.It does re occur.I have it at the moment for the second time,apparently this is because of my poor immune system.I looked it up on this site and others with diabetes are also affected.Im not sure that GPs are aware of the connection.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
I have lichen planus,on my body, not my mouth,diagnosed in 2012 after a bad attack of Noro Virus ,followed by pneumonia.After mistakenly being treated for excema I was finally sent to a consultant and given the correct treatment.It does re occur.I have it at the moment for the second time,apparently this is because of my poor immune system.I looked it up on this site and others with diabetes are also affected.Im not sure that GPs are aware of the connection.

I have it on the left side of my mouth and the same side of my tongue , when it flares up badly, it's like razor blades and I also get sores inside the top pf my lip and also the inside of bottom of my lip too. At the moment, not too bad at all. My dentist noticed the patches in my mouth and referred me to my hospital and they took a biopsy first ( not cancer) it was then that I was diagnosed with the lichen planus. It is always there and I have to use special toothpaste called Kingfisher from the health food shops, and I get Difflam mouthwash on prescription.

Glenmac

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have it on the left side of my mouth and the same side of my tongue , when it flares up badly, it's like razor blades and I also get sores inside the top pf my lip and also the inside of bottom of my lip too. At the moment, not too bad at all. My dentist noticed the patches in my mouth and referred me to my hospital and they took a biopsy first ( not cancer) it was then that I was diagnosed with the lichen planus. It is always there and I have to use special toothpaste called Kingfisher from the health food shops, and I get Difflam mouthwash on prescription.
What a trial this diabetes can be!My dentist mentioned the connection between diabetes and gum disease(which I have ) but it was the hospital consultant who checked my mouth.Luckily for me I was clear.You seem to have more than your share of these presents that diabetes leaves around for us!

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
@Glenmac , I have gum disease too, was referred to Guys hospital in London about 5 years ago now, taught me how to clean my teeth in a different way and reduced the plaque, it's a training hospital and the student's were very good.
Diabetes can be like a roller coaster ride, but I like the carousel, just going round and round, with ( hopefully) no big surprises...... :rolleyes:

Reactions: Dodo and Glenmac

Kbarbaracollins_

Type of diabetes
Type 1

That's a really interesting article on R ALA. I've taken it in the past but am not sure my source was the best. Can you tell me where you buy yours?
Also, could you detail what improvements you've seen , if you don't mind?