Do you like Smartphone apps?

Maxine_Lartey

Type of diabetes
Researcher
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Hi everyone
I am currently a third year Biomedical Science student at Anglia Ruskin University looking to undertake my undergraduate project. As part of my project I am looking to undertake a study of how effective using smartphone applications are in managing glycaemic control in type 1 diabetics. The study would involve entering your glucose levels into an app over a period of a month and then relaying your blood glucose levels as well as the results the app gives you back to me. All data you send to me will be kept anonymous and you are free to withdraw from the study should you so choose. This is something that could be done remotely should that need to happen. I do have ethics approval for this project which I will be able to produce should I need it. However, I was just wondering if anyone would be willing to take part in this project. Please feel free to contact me back via my email ([email protected]) or my Facebook (Maxine Lartey) or my Twitter (@_Maximus94) if you would like further information about my project. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.
Maxine

Last edited by a moderator:

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Good luck with your project Maxine, not used a Smartphone App but hope others will help you out.

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
Sorry can't help as no smart phone and no intention of getting one.

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Hi, good luck with your project. As someone who has absolutely turned my nose up at the available smartphone apps, and simply uses my meter for trend information, I'm afraid I can't assist you a great deal.

I don't know if you are aware of the various programmes that were kicked off a few years back to use smartphones as meters, or to do a form of "send home" to allow diabetic care teams to remote manage patients, which were based around smartphones and smart-er meters? They may be of interest to you to look into.

I'm not sure whether a smartphone app alone really makes a huge difference without the integration of the testing tool, which is why I think the Abbot Libre sensor is a great opportunity. Tools like the Bayer Contour Next USB tester allow you to log carbs, insulin and your BS levels, providing full tracking and with only requiring input on two of the three as the BS levels are there on the meter.

Smartphone apps require extra interaction to enter your blood sugars. What an app needs to do is use the native voice commands and NFC and allow the Libre Sensor to measure BS while allowing easy and direct entry of what you ate and what insulin you took (without using the keyboard). I think that would see people using them more.

logindetails

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Neuropathy :-(
As part of my project I am looking to undertake a study of how effective using smartphone applications are in managing glycaemic control in type 1 diabetics. I do have ethics approval for this project which I will be able to produce should I need it. However, I was just wondering if anyone would be willing to take part in this project. Please feel free to contact me ..............
I use (off and on) a couple of smartphone apps - one which works with my iBGStar glucose meter and another to give me an idea of the carb content of food/drink when I'm out and about.
You may get a better idea if people are willing to take part in your project if you explained what is involved in this thread rather than asking people to contact you to find out - people can be somewhat apathetic (me included) so the more information you provide to spark their interest the better.

Reactions: 2 people

mojo_101

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
i have tried various but all have frustrating limits, and i always use both my combo meter and a cgm. i would pay for a good "TAG" application and for a CARB focussed my fitness pal (with validated data) ... before someone says it has carbs, it does not summarise the subtotal for each meal in the same way it does for calories. from memory so i may be out of date.

Maxine_Lartey

Type of diabetes
Researcher
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Hi Maxine, just wondering what taking part would entail?

Hi, all that would be required is to record your glucose levels over a period of a month on an app and then relay the information the app gives you as well as your glucose levels back to me. The data will be completely confidential and if you do chose to take part you are free to withdraw should you so choose. Please feel free to look at my participant information sheet attached and get back to me if you have any further questions.
I use (off and on) a couple of smartphone apps - one which works with my iBGStar glucose meter and another to give me an idea of the carb content of food/drink when I'm out and about.

You may get a better idea if people are willing to take part in your project if you explained what is involved in this thread rather than asking people to contact you to find out - people can be somewhat apathetic (me included) so the more information you provide to spark their interest the better.

Please see my response above as well as my participant information sheet attached

Have pm'd you Maxine.

Sam.

Hi Sam, I have responded to your message

Attachments

• Participant Information Sheet.txt
    4.9 KB · Views: 245