do you need to have gad antibodies to be type 1 ??

123Jo123

Hi Guys

I was diagnoised as type 2 about 16 weeks ago and told to control it with diet. Ended up loosing one stone and with sugars of 17 and 4 plus keytones and in hospital. The Endo there thought I was going to be type one or lada - they kept me in hospital for a few days and gave me metformin and i reacted well to it. My GAD results have come back negative and I have been told my insulin is on the low side of normal. I am being refered to Addenbrookes but still waiting to go. HOWEVER I am still loosing weight - not a lot but it is a daily battle and believe me I cant afford to loose any more. I have been eating very high fat foods (like a donner kebab) and im still gradually loosing weight. I cant eat any carbs at all for breakfast without big spike but can start to eat carbs after 10 ish and then i seem to be able to eat more as the day goes on. Levels between 6 - 8. I am 44 and have been an aerobic instructor for about 8 years upto last year. Always been slim and fit. I am on 1000 met with breccie and 500 with dinner. I am absolutely starving - even though Im eating lots. Within an hour of eating I am getting bad hunger pains.

I have quite a few diabetic type one friends and they keep telling me that I am type 1 yet my diabetic nurse said that if i have not gad antibodies i can be.

Please help i feel like I am shrinking away !!!!!!!!!! :thumbup:

Pneu

The short answer is no.. the majority of type I's at diagnoses (around 70 - 75%) will show GAD anti-bodies however lack of these anti-bodies does not mean you aren't type I. Typically a c-peptide test will also be carried out to determine the amount of insulin being produced.. if you are producing little or no - insulin then this can also be a sign of type I (although long term poorly controlled type II's may also produce no insulin due to pancreatic damage).

Either way if you aren't producing insulin you will need to inject it.

Claricus

You don't need them to be type 1, so no.
I am type 1 but don't have them. Another blood test they typically do is IA2, if this is high then you are type 1. Most places start with GAD because most type 1 have them.

AMBrennan

Sorry, but tell your nurse to re-read the NICE guidelines on T1 diabetes CG15 (link):
1.6.1.2 Where diabetes is diagnosed, but type 2 diabetes
suspected, the diagnosis of type 1 diabetes should be
considered if:
• ketonuria is detected, or
• weight loss is marked, or
You have both, so it's probably not T2.