Do you remember the day you were diagnosed with Diabetes?

Circuspony

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Well it was only 18 months ago so still very fresh in my.mind. I'd been to the opticians with blurry eyes and she'd said it was likely a worsening of my short sightedness because the only other thing that would cause blurry vision is diabetes and I was too skinny for that....

Roll forward a few weeks and a friend told me I should go to GP because I'd lost so much weight. She said later she was worried about cancer.

GP dips a couple of test strips into a urine sample and nearly fell off his chair. Rushed out to get glucose monitor and it just said HI with a blood sample. I think ketones were around 5.

He should have sent me to A&E but I was sitting there looking and feeling fine so instead he ordered blood tests. 48 hours later hba1c rolled in at 148. Practice diabetes nurse insisted I was type 2 so started me on glyclazide (sp). Two whole weeks passed of ever increasing glyc doses and BG levels sticking at HI. In the end I worked out via Dr Google that I likely had type 1 so told nurse I was getting really bad headaches so they sent me to A&E. Bloods taken, consultants rushing around, drips in and lots of people telling me I was lucky to be alive. I think being an adult means your body manages the onslaught better than kids. The on duty consultant at A&E told me he'd had kids in comas with lower levels than me. They were furious with my GP surgery.

Erin

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
mean people, corrupt politicians, poverty, happy pharmaceutical ads;
Just curious to find out if you remember it and how you reacted to it?

For me I was absolutely petrified. Believing that I was going to have to inject every day! More than once in all probability! I had no idea about the difference In medications (oral/injection)
Near the obvious stage, I became bedridden and practically blind, walking down the hall everything was foggy, very thirsty; my very kind pharmacist used the meter with his assistant and my number was 30. He advised me to go to my dr. ASAP. The rest is history.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
30 years ago in North Tees Hospital, visiting family, as my 2 children were with their dad and his girlfriend at the seaside, (he left months earlier) A doctor was called, he smelt 'pear drops' on my breath ( I was just about standing) went to hospital, they told me I had type 1 diabetes, I said 'oh s**t and that was that. Stayed a week in hospital and an extra week at families home, as I had to travel back on 2 coaches, by myself.
I missed my children so much and they were so worried, but I got on with it, as a single parent I just had to. Went to back to work and the rest is history.

Last edited:

britishpub

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
16th April 2015

I already thought that I had T2D so it was not a surprise or shock, and I had already found this website and forum, so I already knew what I was going to do.

So I did it.

The rest is history.

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
I told them!

I was doing some course work and struggling with some rapid changes to my eyesight. I had a lot of other symptoms but hadn't linked them as being connected to watch other. I mentioned it to my neighbour who is T2 and a hypochondriac - she flapped and insisted that she tested my BG which was just under18 (late morning with no breakfast). She went in to her major hypochondriac panic thing saying I should go to hospital, blah, blah, blah (I am used to her hypochondriac ways) but thought I would make an appointment with my GP just in case.

So, I phoned the receptionist and booked the next available appointment for about a week's time and mentioned in passing that I had had this finger print test and that it was 17.9. About 30 seconds after finishing the call I had a call back from the DN who insisted I see her that afternoon. By the time I got there my BG was in the very high 20s (probably due to the 'healthy' pint glass of h/m banana, cherry and pineapple smoothie I'd had for lunch and the stress of the morning).

The DN spent a while trying to persuade me to go to hospital (no chance - I felt a bit rough but not really ill - and by the time I left the surgery I had a meter, strips, insulin and a prescription for Metformin. She was a lovely DN who sadly gave me the eatwell plate info but she did stop by my home twice a day for the first few days to monitor my BGs were reducing.

And the rest is history.

Flora123

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I was horrified to get a call from my doc. He was pretty blunt. It came as a shock as I had no symptoms, slim and it was picked up in a random blood test. A whopping Hba1c too. Three months later and a lot of determination I was down at 36 and have been since. Fingers crossed it continues. An ongoing challenge but I will NOT let the big D get me!

Reactions: Prem51