1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2019 »
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Do you stock pile Insulin

Discussion in 'Type 1 Diabetes' started by Chowie, Dec 18, 2018.

1. Chowie

Chowie Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I just got a new supply of insulin. We get 75mil at a time which for me is about 6 months in Australia. I normally run the supply down to about 5 days until I get a new supply.
    With the news going crazy around the world
    UK - Brexit
    Aus - Storms and cyclones
    Japan - Earthquakes and Tsunami’s
    World - Russia looking for a fight, Nth Korea looking for a fight with anything that moves
    USA - so much to be paranoid about

Do you keep at least a months supply of Insulin and accessories?

• Like Like x 1
  2. Kittycat_7_

Kittycat_7_ Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I keep a month supply

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. Tipetoo

Tipetoo Type 2 · Expert

That should read:

USA: Trump looking for a fight with anything that moves.

Nth Korea: Kim so much to be paranoid about because of Trump.

I have a complete extra supply of all of my medications, I do not use insulin though.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  4. Chickenboy

Chickenboy Type 1 · Active Member

I keep about 3 months of everything in case anything kicks off. This keeps you alive and I ain't taking any risks!

Edited by Mod

• Like Like x 5
    #4 Chickenboy, Dec 18, 2018 at 10:16 PM
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 19, 2018
  5. evilclive

evilclive Type 1 · Well-Known Member

When I break into a box of 5 3ml vials, I'll order a new one. That's about 6 weeks supply. I might get one a bit in advance soon though,

• Like Like x 3
  6. Dodo

Dodo Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I have always kept about three months supply just to be sure I never run out or if I have a problem obtaining it,

• Like Like x 1
  7. Tipetoo

Tipetoo Type 2 · Expert

Good to see the UK told to make "contingency plans" for everything.

8. kev-w

kev-w Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I've always reordered when I've just the one pen or vial left as I'm able to get a same day script if I go in and pester on a morning so haven't worried before, currently I've an unopened box of each type of insulin and intend doubling up on that before the end of February ready for Brexit.
    I very much doubt it'll affect the importation of insulin but better safe than sorry....

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  9. slip

slip Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I normally keep at least 1 months worth of insulin ‘in stock’ in the fridge, testing strips I let it get down to just over a weeks worth, I will however put in for an extra boxes in Feb/March.......!

• Like Like x 2
  10. urbanracer

urbanracer Type 1 · Moderator
    Staff Member

With so many people 'doubling up' on stock it will probably cause a shortage even without Brexit!

• Agree Agree x 8
    • Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
  11. Tipetoo

Tipetoo Type 2 · Expert

In the old days hoarders were imprisoned or executed or worse.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  12. EllieM

EllieM Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I was thinking that the other day, but honestly if I still lived in the UK I'd do the same thing. It's not as though you can just "do without" insulin for a couple of days.
    I normally have at least a couple of weeks supply in stock, a few cartridges.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. becca59

becca59 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I always order a new supply when I am down to the last vial in my Toujeo and the last 2 in my Fiasp. I think to stockpile would be the height of selfishness to all other diabetics. Far better if there is a shortage that insulin is shared out evenly. I would not be happy if someone ended up ill because I had thought I was more important than the next diabetic and had an extra stash.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  14. Dodo

Nothing to do with being selfish as in the past I have known dispensaries run low on certain insulin products due to manufacturing problems and being able to get hold of it. There is also the chance that something may happen to your last vial or box.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. slip

slip Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I'm feeling persecuted! :hilarious: At which point is it hoarding though? 2,3 or 4 boxes of each? depends how much you use.

I quite agree no one should go mad and cause issues for fellow insulin users.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  16. EllsKBells

EllsKBells Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I like to have at least one box of five cartridges in reserve, in case there is a problem with the prescription or the pharmacy. Only on two occasions have I really 'stockpiled', when moving and changing GPs, as getting new prescriptions set up can be a nightmare, particularly if the GP in question is uncooperative.

The major downside to excessive stockpiling, other than the obvious shortages elsewhere, is that if something were to happen, for instance an overexcited fridge freezing everything, you could end up losing lots and lots, rather than only a few cartridges worth, which is a lot of money down the drain for the NHS. And if everyone else has been stockpiling too, then you might struggle to replace it!

• Agree Agree x 5
  17. ickihun

ickihun Type 2 · Master

My fridge isn't big enough for a 3mth supply but I have enough incase my reducing Dapagliflozin tablet gets me overly demented with thrush and I have to stop it over Christmas. Which doubles my Novarapid and Toujeo300 needs. Still using vegetables and milkshakes over Christmas with a day off on Christmas day. Still losing weight, currently.

18. KK123

KK123 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Wanting to have a months supply in advance may be ok and efficient but 'stockpiling' in the context of the question means months of supplies 'just in case'. That IS selfish in my opinion.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Dodo

Three months of ‘stockpiling’ supplies is approximately three boxes of Novorapid and two of Lantus. As Slip has stated above, it depends how much you use. My supply has nothing to do with Brexit, I doubt it will cause any problems.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. Chris Bowsher

Chris Bowsher Type 1 · Well-Known Member

if you haven't got a stockpile by hard brexit, then its the perfect excuse to go on a diet.

• Funny Funny x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook