DO you think could be symptoms of diabetes?

lisarisa

Hi all,

I have recently been experiencing some symptoms which sound to me a bit like those linked to diabetes. But I just wanted to see if any of these sound familiar?

- I am hungry A LOT and wake up every mornign with an uncomfortably growling stomach which can make me feel quite nausious but then goes away when i eat. I eat really well - always have breakfast, eat good quantities, quite healthily, etc...but often get hungry within hours of eating. I am quite prone to getting hypos (have been since a child) when i have gone for too long without a meal. But this has settled down a lot in the last 5 years or so, perhaps because I have put on a bit of weight and now have the energy reserves to keep me going longer! But recently, I have been getting lots of those old feelings when i am due to eat - faintness, sweating, trembling, etc.

And yet i am putting on quite a bit of weight at the moment for the first time ever. It seems that diabetes sufferers actually LOSE weight though? I am still slim-normal build, but have gained quite a lot of weight this last year. I am 28 yrs old, so i put it down to age...

- Another symtom: I am always thirsty. I drink a lOT of water at work... i put it down to habit, but i really do miss it if i am ever in a situation where i cannot drink pretty much constantly. My lips and skin are very dry and i get bad headaches if i dont drink a lot. Frequent trips to the toilet? Im not sure....Its hard to say as I am used to the amount I go! I do go much more than my work colleagues, but i put that down to drinking more...

- And now just recently I am feeling very tired, weak and irritable!. I have had a busy few weeks recently (moving house and business trip) but i have had to take the day off work today cause i feel so rotten (swolen glands, exhausted, etc). I know moving house is tiring, but I am still young and fit, so I dont think i should feel so zapped...

I apologise for such a mammoth post..... i just wanted your advise and figured giving the whole picture would be best!

Thanks for any feedback... Lisa

Aadrgon

Hi lisarisa

The symptoms you describe could be attributed to diabetes ( at least some of them ) the only way to find out for sure is to go and see a Doctor.
Regardless of wether you are or not there is a lot of information about diet in here that could be of benefit to you.

Hope this helps :)

richardpa

Hi Lisa

Sounds like my symptoms all over, would advise you to go and see your GP in the next day or two and see what they say. It's better to be save than sorry, might just be something quite simple like fatigue or stress.

Hope this helps

Rick........

Trinkwasser

In the meantime you could do worse than to have a read here

http://loraldiabetes.blogspot.com/2006/10/d-day.html

including the "What to eat before you get your meter" bit.

What you decribe sounds a bit like Reactive Hypoglycemia where your BG shoots up after eating and the insulin turns up late and too much and knock you rapidly back down again: the fast BG drops are what drive many of the symptoms including the hungers.

If nothing shows up on the fasting test, ask for a Glucose Tolerance Test. Alternatively you could eat something carby and go to your pharmacist about an hour later for a spot blood test, my FBG was and still is completely normal but the postprandials go all over the shop, which went unnoticed for far too many years. Either way following that testing protocol would be a good plan for modifying your diet, getting rid of the highs should sort out the lows and hopefully stop you progressing to actual diagnosible diabetes. Significantly dropping your carb intake should make it easier for you to lose the weight you've put on and also probably get your lipids and blood pressure back in line

Do report back, and see if you can get actual *numbers* out of your doctor

RPNKW

I am taking a chance here no I do not think you are diabetic but you should raise your concerns with your doctor ASAP.

I was pre ketotic coma when I went to my GP but KNEW I was diabetic thanks to that great seventies advert "Always going to the loo, always thirsty, always tired" as opposed to the ****** sensationalist billboard ads by some vulture diabetic charity now, entitled "Diabetes, the silent assasin" with a scene that makes you think Sam and Dean Winchester out of "Supernatural" are going to get there any second to blow away the dark evil spectral demon by the supermarkets freezers.

The thirst from bad diabetic symptoms is intolerable, you wake up with literally no saliva in your mouth aftyer you have been to the bog for a firehose type **** every hour in between drinking litres of water or any other fluids.

Then of course there is blurred vision , close or distant and you will soon know when that hits you.
Finally you will get bad headaches and throw up without any explanation, then think that you smell fruit juice or nail polish on your breath and then you just want to sleep all the time whilst feeling your dried up skin, wondering why you never sweat anymore and start to breathe more rapidly.The thrush infections are an interesting sideline.

RPNKW

RPNKW

Of course I Forgot to add that your pants will start to fall down and your friends will comment on how much weight you have liot, especially tound your sagging gaunt cheeks as you look more and more skeletal and scared.

Just thought I wouyld complete the symptamology of diabetes onset.

RPNKW

lilibet

Or

You get a bit thirsty for a day or two, then get up for the toilet 12 times in one night, go to the docs the day after and say "I think im diabetic", at which point due to lack of weight loss, family history, fatigue, blurred vision, sickness, infection etc tells you no, but we'll take your bg anyway to RULE IT OUT

6 hours later your in hospital with a BG of 27 :lol:

I will agree however that the thirst leaves you no room for ponderance because its not just thirst, its drinking 2l of water in 15 mins and doubling up with pain as a result thirst
And the urination isnt Oh , Ive just drank too much, its MY GOD WHATS GOING ON WITH MY BLADDER urination, as you get up 12 times in a 7 hour period to pee copious amounts.

Agree though, get to a docs in any case.