Do you wait until you are in range before eating?

sjm1308

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I realise this is possibly a silly question but my by dsn said to me yesterday to make sure I'm in range before I eat. I'm pretty poorly controlled atm and taking steps to improve. I often am 11-14 before my evening meal and I usually correct alongside the bolus for my meal. Should I be correcting and waiting before I eat?

Reactions: Still_Here

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Personally I don't tend to wait for too long, otherwise I'll just get hungrier and hungrier and grumpier and grumpier, also if I'm eating before I go out well I often cant wait anyways without delaying everything (which just often isn't an option anyway)

Though note now with my CGM I can normally tell well before a meal anyways if I'm a bit high (it beeps at me if I'm above 12) and get it sorted before meal time, so only on sensor change day (where it can go a bit choatic) do I normally hit said problems, sometimes its a bit high before lunch on teh sensor change day but I only have an hour lunchbreak ... so I eat then

I have seen many in here will definitely wait though, I guess people deal with it differently though

Reactions: RoughcutAU

Finnlee

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I find it's easier to stay in range after a meal if I'm already in range at the start of the meal, but it's not always possible. I wish it were, but sometimes it's time to eat and blood sugar isn't behaving.

Like @Rokaab I try to sort out highs (and lows) before mealtime so I'm in range going into the meal.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I realise this is possibly a silly question but my by dsn said to me yesterday to make sure I'm in range before I eat. I'm pretty poorly controlled atm and taking steps to improve. I often am 11-14 before my evening meal and I usually correct alongside the bolus for my meal. Should I be correcting and waiting before I eat?
Do you use a CGM?

Maybe it's worth to do an extra test some 2 hours before eating so you can correct if necessary? That way the correction will already work before it's time for dinner.

Ushthetaff

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Mountain out of mole hill makers ,queues , crowds , shopping on a Saturday hmm just shopping I guess no matter what day it is
Personally I eat when I’m hungry irrespective what my blood sugar is , I check my blood sugar and if it’s high take a corrective dose then dose for my meal , it can be trial and error but that’s diabetes , ever developing , but personally I wouldn’t go hungry

Zhnyaka

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Homophobia, racism, sexism
I wait for the insulin to take effect if my BG is above 10, if it is above 13, I give an injection in order to lower BG and for food I give another injection when BG is normal, otherwise I give an injection right before eating, and if my BG is below 4.5, then I give an injection after food. But at parties, I usually eat with everyone without waiting for the action of insulin, regardless of what my BG is :hilarious: (I know it's bad)

RoughcutAU

Most of the time I am one of “those” people that will wait to be in range before I eat. Having a Libre the last 12 months has obviously helped alot with this as well as knowing my novorapid is not so rapid.

However there are plenty of situations this is not possible so it’s not a hard and fast rule for me - maybe a “guide”.

becca59

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes I do wait. Usually at breakfast when my levels creep up quickly without me being able to take prior action.
During the day if I’m higher than I think I should be when I know insulin is wearing off or if I suspect I’ve made a previous error I will inject to rectify.
This is easy to do with a CGM.
If you are at high levels before a meal I would be looking at my insulin doses and timings and making some adjustments. Having to wait is a bore.

Reactions: RoughcutAU

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I don’t wait but I try to avoid carbs when above 10.
As suggested, I try to check my levels and hour before eating so I can do a correction then rather than waiting fit meal time.
The other thing to consider is insulin resistance with higher BG. This means, if my levels get over 10 they take longer to come down so it is better to correct earlier.