1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2020 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Doctor said my Hba1c is too low!!!

Discussion in 'Ask A Question' started by sugarshy, Sep 21, 2019.

1. Listlad

Listlad Prediabetes · BANNED

Mine was 35 at the last testing.

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Flora123

Flora123 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Mine has been around 34-36 for the last 15 months with quarterly checks and my dn/doc was delighted. I’d ignore your doc. You are doing well.

• Winner Winner x 1
  3. ianf0ster

ianf0ster Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Hi sugarshy,
    I agree with all the responses above, I can only envy your Hba1c figures.
    So long as you don't experience Hypos (which you shouldn't with just metformin) then there is no reason for concern - just the opposite!

Your GP seems to be one of the many who doesn't like to see a patient get better without increased medication. The other thing this type of doctor does is tell patients on Insulin who reduce their BG by diet to eat more carbs so that they can still take the same amount of Insulin. Thus treating the problem food like a medication!

I have never taken Metformin and so don't know if you should reduce to 1 per day or not, but from what other responders say it appears this is more of a personal decision rather than a medical necessity.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. sugarshy

sugarshy Type 2 · Active Member

Hi bulkbiker, yes I had one on for 24 hours, it inflated every half hour and frightened the life out of me, especially at night time! Consequently I had very high readings 183/110 at one reading, I think that made me technically dead? Readings this morning are finally normal but going to work on coming off pills. Sorry admin for going off topic, is there a forum for high blood pressure?

5. sugarshy

Agreed Jim! The practice nurse this morning told me off for checking my BSL myself, said it was a waste of time and money! Little does she know that it was monitoring my levels reaction after food and keeping tabs on my own body that gave me the empowerment to bring my hba1c down to a normal level. Now they have reduced my Metformin by 50% they want to test again in a couple of months, maybe they are hoping my readings will have gone up?

• Like Like x 2
  6. sugarshy

Thanks Ian, metformin has many other health benefits and helps keep my weight down. I've already put on two pounds since my dose was cut. Time to go out walking in the rain!

7. Jim Lahey

Jim Lahey I reversed my Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I'd have told her to mind her own business. In no uncertain terms :mad:

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook