Doctors Orders - have a baby!

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
So I've just had my 8 week check in after being diagnosed as T1. While there the doctor asked if I had plans for a family yet. I'm 23, so I just said my partner and I had discussed it but its 4 or 5 years away. We're not planning anything yet! And his reaction was "that's fine, but don't leave it much longer" he made it sound like if I dared wait 6 years if be riddled with complications.

Surely that can't be right. Say I want to wait until I'm 30, if I maintain the good control Ive started with then there is no reason it should cause complications to the pregnancy is there?

I don't want a baby any time soon and I don't really like having a "time limit" in it! It seems absurd

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
Untill about 1930 or so [sorry I don' remember the date!] pregnant diabetics were routinely aborted. The first safe delivery of a diabetic mother was I think post second world war [again sorry, not sure of date]
If you keep your blood glucose under GOOD control, you should remain healthy enough to have a baby for quite a few more years. Remember fertility for all women drops off a lot after 30. Look up work by Dr. Lois Jovanovic.
Hana

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
hanadr said:
Untill about 1930 or so [sorry I don' remember the date!] pregnant diabetics were routinely aborted. The first safe delivery of a diabetic mother was I think post second world war [again sorry, not sure of date]
If you keep your blood glucose under GOOD control, you should remain healthy enough to have a baby for quite a few more years. Remember fertility for all women drops off a lot after 30. Look up work by Dr. Lois Jovanovic.
Hana

I understand that there is a higher chance of complications, it just seemed a little odd to bring it up NOW when I have enough to be getting on with wading my way through the honeymoon period blindly!

I might look up that stuff though thanks! :)

JaneC

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I had my first at 35 and second at 37, diagnosed type 1 at 27. Would recommend earlier but really both girls really fine. One is 18 today and has uni place to be a medic ant the other at Cambridge so not too stupid! My HBa1c's always under 8 but not perfect so you have to make the decision but this might give you an idea of what the options are.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Phoebe13

I've been T1 for about 16 years now, I'm 26, and I get asked about babies every time I see my doctor!

She's recommended having a first baby around 30 would be a perfectly sensible age, which gives me a few years to really make sure my control is good (it's getting much better, after being shaky for a few years..)

I think he's mad to say you need to do it now or never. Maybe he's just old-fashioned (or old!) - my 90 year old grandmother has told me I've left it too late to have babies now, as she'd got married and had 3 babies by the time she was 26!

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I just stared at him when I said it, 4 or 5 years down the line I'm still only going to be 27-28. I don't want to be any younger than that! 30 seems reasobable to me too, it's perfectly normal to have kids later than that these days too.

He also told me he insists on an hba1c of 7%, mine is currently 8.7% so by his rules I'm not "allowed" to have kids right now anyway. Oh well, he's right about everything else it seems so ill let him have this moment of insanity!

hels

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Around 30 sounds sensible to me.

I have just had my first child at 39 and I was diagnosed with type1 during pregnancy.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App