Does anybody have information about this CGM by Accu-Chek?

brassyblonde900

Type of diabetes
Type 2
https://www.accu-chek.co.uk/implantable-cgm/eversense-xl
According to their site,
"Roche Diabetes Care are proud to announce its collaboration with Senseonics Incorporated to launch Eversense XL in the UK. The Eversense XL CGM System is for people who actively manage their diabetes, and provides advanced long term glucose monitoring via an implantable sensor, a removable and rechargeable transmitter, and convenient smartphone app, allowing patients to confidently live their lives with ease.
Based on innovative fluorescence technology embedded within a tiny sensor, the Eversense XL CGM system measures glucose in the interstitial fluid (the fluid between cells). A smart transmitter is worn on the arm, directly over the sensor, and wirelessly powers the data transfer from the sensor.

Glucose reversibly binds to the sensor's polymer coating, and the amount of light emitted by the polymer coating rises and falls with changing glucose levels. Photodetectors in the sensor measure the emitted light and wirelessly send these measurements to the transmitter, which then calculates glucose concentration, rate of change and direction. This glucose data is sent wirelessly to the smartphone app that provides real-time tracking, intuitive displays to help identify patterns, and information to help stay in range. The smart transmitter also provides on-body vibration alerts even if your phone is not nearby or is switched off.

With traditional CGM or Flash GM sensors, you must insert a new sensor every 7 – 14 days. With the Eversense XL CGM system, a new sensor is fully inserted under the skin for up to many months."
The part I highlighted is what particularly got me excited.
It now remains to be seen, how much that convenience, will add to the price the consumers will end up paying for the product.

Reactions: ziggy_w
D

Deleted Account

If you search for “Eversense”, there are a few threads on the topic.

Scott-C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
It now remains to be seen, how much that convenience, will add to the price the consumers will end up paying for the product.

It is shockingly expensive, several times the price of libre or dexcom.. A visit to London to have it implanted, another one to have it removed, no certainty about how accurate it is, or what you do if the current implant is dodgy, some insurers in Europe are paying for it, I can't for the life of me think why any T1, let alone a T2 would consider this as an option, unless they'd won the lottery and had some cash to spend.

brassyblonde900

Type of diabetes
Type 2
It is shockingly expensive, several times the price of libre or dexcom.. A visit to London to have it implanted, another one to have it removed, no certainty about how accurate it is, or what you do if the current implant is dodgy, some insurers in Europe are paying for it, I can't for the life of me think why any T1, let alone a T2 would consider this as an option, unless they'd won the lottery and had some cash to spend.
The Q&A page on the site, gave info to the effect, that they envisage, as more folks buy the device, the price will drop considerably.
That remains to be seen though. Drug companies are bandoleros if you ask me.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi,

Interesting. The whole "implantation" thing puts me in mind of those "body modification" procedures used on extreme, alternative lifestylers.. (Don't ask me how I know about this "sub culture?" I researched it once years ago, after getting ink done & my eyebrow pierced..)
But.
Looking at the video blurb, (which is just graphics demonstrating how "easy" the concept is.) there seems to be an additional transmitter worn on the arm externally to boost & "relay" the signal from the implanted device anyway?

Scott-C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
The Q&A page on the site, gave info to the effect, that they envisage, as more folks buy the device, the price will drop considerably.
That remains to be seen though. Drug companies are bandoleros if you ask me.

Post #4 on the thread linked below has details of the cost. A gobsmacking £27 or £54 per day depending on whether it's the 90 or 180 day version.

They'll have to do some serious price adjustment if they want to get more than a few very rich customers.

https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/cgm-options.155812/#post-1869397