does anyone get heavy burning legs?

laceydog

just a thought but are youbon statins? i was put on them and started getting really bad pains when i walked, came off them and it stopped. ..

dmcx3x

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi not really just got told because my sugars are high right now cos i have been put on other inculin that something to do with my legs not getting oxegen but the diabetic nurse told me that over the phone without looking at them x

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Yorksman

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I've had all sorts of problems with my legs ranging from night cramps, various tingling sensations, numbness and my blood vessels sometimes feeling like a central heating system full of air, gurgling almost comically. There are lots of suspects and I have tried many remedies but, drinking plenty of water and cycling gives best results.

I started leg and calf stretching exercises, using a rower and walking and all help, but don't cure. Cycling on an exercise bike however works well maybe because it works the muscles and improves blood flow but not under a heavy load like they are when walking. They are not having to cope with my body weight. It all does seem to be more to do with circulation than nerve damage. I lost a lot of weight and started walking more but, surprisingly, it did not prevent things, just improved it a bit. I haven't had any problems since I started cycling though, and drinking water. It's easy to forget to drink enough fresh water.

If you can't get hold of a bike, they are always in charity shops, or don't have the space for one, try swimming. Same idea, no weight on your legs but rythmic movement to get things opening up and the blood flowing.

sarah88

I've been getting something similar, I'm t1 13 years, on a pump for 5 months and hba1c from 9.3% to 7.4% in that time.

My legs feel like I've run 5 miles if I've walked about and then walked up the stairs. Not so much at home but if I've walked the dogs and then gone upstairs it's really sore, but I also get the added bonus of my knees and ankles feeling like they're being crushed.

I'm not overweight and up until last year when I got shin splints I was jogging quite regularly.
I do have flat feet and wear inner soles to correct this, I'm also having Physio for weak hips at the moment, but my Physio doesn't think they're connected because of the crushing sensation.

I'm going to the doctors on Monday but in the meantime I've had suggestions from anaemia to fibromyalgia! Fairly worried! :S

dmcx3x

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I went to the docs and they said they think its my mussel but i really dont think itis gave me cream to rub in the back of my legs so see if this works and in 2weeks i will go back to the docs in the last weeks my hips have been getting a little sore when i was about 17 i went to a physo they said i had flat feet to and made ne insoles x

Martina79

You gpotta change a doctor he is missleading you. i had this problem as majority of other diabetics and Dr said to me its nothing to do with diabetes its a muscles then she checked my feet and said i wear wrong shoes, i said i wear couple pairs of shoes then she said she will refer me to sport rehabilitation to tell me what to do with muscles altrough i told her its not muscles as i am doing sport since 5 years old and never had anything like this. then i found out its because of high sugars and as soon as i lowered them it disapeared.majority of drs dont know anything about diabetes so if Drs dont change attitude to patients there will never be improvement.

Sabantha

I'm t1 13 years and 26years old. I'm having same issues with my legs just not, they feel weak, painful and it's getting increasently worse, my dr tested all bloods came back I was severely bit d deficient, after 3 month prescription of cit d (no improvement) I'm heading back! My arms are the same, I joke that there is no muscle there at all but it's how I feel. Struggling to manage the stairs, or pick up any kind of pace when walking, getting my little boy (15mojths) up stairs is a nightmare have to stop good few times as legs so weak. My sugars are also poor, and if higher rages legs do feel worse. Neurology said was not that (I was convinced it was) please let me know if you get any further with it as I'm hitting dead ends!!

JudeK

My little girl is type 1. When her sugar is high she says her legs hurt and when it is low she says they are 'heavy' She's only 3 and not the sort to tell fibs. My mum is type 2 and gets sore knees. Maybe keep a diary of blood glucose and any pain??

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty to Animals/Children
Liars/Manipulators/Bullying
My knees and feet and bones ache and burn whenever my sugar levels hit above 18 .
Thankfully this is now rare with the help of my insulin regime .

Anna .

jb411

I had the same burning sensation down the bottom half of my legs. I asked the diabetic nurse, she said it could be a lactic acid build up and advised me to drink tonic water as it has quinine in it. It seems to have helped.

dmcx3x

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Some doctors do not have a clue i told her that i dont think it is my mussel but she wasnt taking that threw its agony i am going to check how my sugars are when they are burning and see how they are x

logindetails

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Neuropathy :-(
I went to see my GP about burning sensations in my feet and legs back in August, a blood test showed I had DKA and I ended up in hospital for 3 days so they could flush my system out. I left hospital as a newly diagnosed T1. The diabetic consultant has me on Duloxetine for the neuropathy and my GP has recently prescribed me co-codamol 30/500 (not the stuff you can buy over the counter) for the pain which works very well - I'm finally able to sleep at night.

sarah88

Sabantha, that is the same as me, my muscles feel like they're wasting. No matter how much exercising I do, they feel weak and drained. Things that other people do easily seem to have me exhausted and out of breath. But I'm fairly fit and healthy?
I spoke to my new doctor on Monday and he thinks it has a lot to do with my blood sugar levels improving fairly rapidly, but I'm having blood tests done tomorrow so I will let you know the results!

Sabantha

Yip I feel like its muscle damage waste I have. I'm at my wits end with it, at 26 fit & healthy (other than diabetes) I surely shouldn't be like this. Please let me know how you get on. I have appt next week. Going to demand some more bloods be taken, see if anything shows up. I'm sure people think in over reacting but it's really bothering me! Lol

dmcx3x

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I got more bloods taken and nothing showed up atall my sugars where a little high but thats about it

Sabantha

I have been referred again to neurology as their the only 1s that can look into my muscles, I feel it's defiantly muscle wastage/damage I have. Gp going to double check with my consultant see if they can do anything more! Fingers crossed x

2131tom

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
laceydog said:
just a thought but are youbon statins? i was put on them and started getting really bad pains when i walked, came off them and it stopped. ..

I'm pretty sure same here.

Been on 40mg Simvastatin tablets for 5 years (2 years more than I've been borderline, and just recently diagnosed, T2). About a month ago, I suddenly started to get a variety of sensations in my hands and legs - tingling, numbness and some burning sensations. They'd come and go for no apparent reason and were quite alarming. I'm seeing the GP for a routine consultation in a couple of days and I'll discuss it with him then, but I took the decision 10 days ago to come off the statins, if only to see what happened, given that the directions said this could be a side-effect with some people and you were to stop taking them if you thought you were being affected.

It might be coincidence, and I couldn't rule out the problem having been something else, but the sensations have now all but stopped.