1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2019 »
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Does anyone have one of these?

Discussion in 'Ask A Question' started by DCUKMod, Sep 23, 2018.

1. DCUKMod

DCUKMod I reversed my Type 2 · Expert
    Staff Member Administrator

As the title says; do you have, or have you used one of these?:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Dragon-Hon...537736596&sr=8-7&keywords=KETONE+BREATH+METER

I have never really striven to be in ketosis, as I preferred to eat to my meter, rather than specifically count carbs, but whilst clicking around looking on Amazon for something else, I found this and it piqued my interest.

Any feedback or comments could be useful.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Rachox

Rachox Type 2 (in remission!) · Moderator
    Staff Member

@Brunneria mentioned them in Birmingham, I think she has one.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  3. Jaylee

Jaylee Type 1 · Expert
    Retired Moderator

Looks a bit like a hot glue gun or an in ear thermometer...

I'll tag in @bulkbiker , you never know...? :)

• Funny Funny x 1
  4. DCUKMod

DCUKMod I reversed my Type 2 · Expert
    Staff Member Administrator

Ahaaaaaaah. I must ask her then.

• Like Like x 1
  5. bulkbiker

bulkbiker Type 2 · Master

Hi @Jaylee
    I have a blood ketone monitor (Caresens Dual) but I have heard of the breathalyser being used as a ketone meter but think they are sometimes hard to calibrate.

• Like Like x 1
  6. MrsGruffy

MrsGruffy Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I have a cheap breathalyser I bought from ebay for under $10 including shipping. It detects ketones, and quite accurately too. If you get one, you need to talk nearly all your breath away before you blow into it. Ketones over 0.05 will set the device's alarm off - it doesn't know the difference between alcohol and ketones. You have to take the batteries out to stop the alarm. It's a lot cheaper than purchasing strips. It matches my blood ketones pretty accurately. Sometimes you have to blow twice to get an accurate reading. I always blow twice, not bragging. :p

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  7. kitedoc

kitedoc Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Never used one but reading up on them (ketogenic forum, ketoconcern.com, biohackerslab.com) the main issues appear to be:
    breathing technique, keeping the batteries fresh, cost, and how many times can one use the device.
    One of the more expensive devices (Ketonix) can be linked to the computer and needs no batteries but needs specific breathing technique and takes 20 minutes to warm up; another the KetoIQ seems well liked. The cheaper models seem to work but for how long? Also most of the reviews are done by companies like Amazon.

8. Goonergal

Goonergal Type 2 · Moderator
    Staff Member

Pretty sure that @CherryAA uses something similar.

I use the Caresens Dual meter - strips not cheap, but don’t need to test very often.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Canvaspic

Canvaspic Prediabetes · Well-Known Member

Hi, I have a normal breathalyzer, alcosense zero. I have never managed to get a reading out of it. But that will be down to willpower over carbs. It has a lower cutoff of something like 20 bac. So you need to be above trace levels before it will give a reading. People have attempted to calibrate blood ketones to breath. But they are different things, and will be affected by how fat adapted you are. But the idea has merit as a in/out type test, with less weight been given to the absolute numbers.
    Member @AllieRainbow reports her numbers in her diet diary thread.

• Like Like x 1
  10. MrsGruffy

MrsGruffy Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Hi @Canvaspic - Just wondering whether you have tried talking out your breath rather than breathing it out when you use your breathalyser? Mine only works if I count out loud until I have nearly no breath left, and then use the last bit of breath for the breathalyser. It won't work if you blow out your breath, or blow into it with full lungs. I'm not sure why the talking thing is how it works.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  11. Canvaspic

Canvaspic Prediabetes · Well-Known Member

Ill give it another try. Its more that I struggle to stick to the 20g of carbs. A little milk in my tea, a few strawberries, nuts...suddenly I am hitting 35g of carbs. Low by most people’s standards, but too high to get into ketosis. Ill let you know how it goes.

• Like Like x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook