Does anyone know any low carb dinner recipes suitable for a family?

AngiH

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Roast dinner. Yes, we haven’t had that for a while so a bit of thought required there. No Yorkshire’s and careful with the stuffing I suppose.
Exactly that but plenty of meat and above ground veggies. I do cave and have Swede as it's my favourite veg.

Reactions: Listlad

AngiH

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@AnjiH

How is it all going now. I recall from your posts that there were difficulties initially. Has it all settled down now?
Hiya
Yes all going well, I did stall on my weight loss for a while, but turned out I wasn't eating enough...happy days haha.
I'm 17lb lighter and haven't done any exercise these last 2 weeks due to bronchitis so roll on Monday and I can hit the treadmill again. Pics (if the attach) one in purple Christmas and one in spotty dress today
20181216_151046.jpg
20190307_163447.jpg

Reactions: DawnOfTheZed

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hiya
Yes all going well, I did stall on my weight loss for a while, but turned out I wasn't eating enough...happy days haha.
I'm 17lb lighter and haven't done any exercise these last 2 weeks due to bronchitis so roll on Monday and I can hit the treadmill again. Pics (if the attach) one in purple Christmas and one in spotty dress today View attachment 31701View attachment 31702
Fantastic. That’s a great result.

Reactions: AngiH
You sound like you are cooking for my family, except there are five of us to juggle and the carb machine is also vegetarian! All have huge appetites too. 3 teenage boys whose genuine and consistent dislikes are respected but left to go hungry if it’s transient fussiness.

I try(!) and make a base meal in two pots, one veggie and one not, then cook the carbs separately to be added to their plates not mine. Sometimes that goes to 3 pots if spices are involved as we are a divided family in that sense too. Works best for one pot meals but whatever I’m cooking I try and keep as many elements the same across them to minimise prep and ingredients.

I dream of cooking just one meal each night

How I agree regarding one meal that suits the whole family. My husband is type 2, I can’t digest too much fat, daughter is vegetarian, son in law won’t eat vegetables except peas or carrots and grandson is suspicious of anything new, especially if there are herbs in it ( he calls them little green bits) . Trying to feed them is a nightmare, luckily we manage to eat together only 2-3 times a week.

Rubyjewelz

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Illness
Thank you. We're a bit apprehensive about trying celeriac as we've never had it before. But I guess we'll never know if we don't try it
...it's delicious and also does great fries and roasted...boiled or mashed...x

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
In terms of LC friendly meals for all the family, I think that my natural laziness in the kitchen stands me in v good stead. :D

I have NEVER understood the thinking behind cooking mince, cooking and mashing potatoes, then combining them in an oven dish and cooking them both AGAIN to get a cottage pie.
What an unnecessary phaff!
Cook the mince. Cook the potato. Combine them on the plate. Less time. Less washing up. And just as nice.

So when going LC it was/is even simpler. Cook the mince and don't have the mash. Or cook everyone the same mash, but make it out of lower carb veg like suede.

Same principles apply to all my cooking.
Lasagne is red mince and pasta. Doesn't matter what shape that pasta comes in. Nor what type of pasta it is. I use oomi noodles, which are LC.
Moussaka is red mince, aubergine and potato. So it is just a case of subtracting the potato and replacing with more aubergine or courgette.
Don't the posh celebrity chefs do similar "deconstructed" dishes and make out they're something special/unique?:D

Robbity