Does anyone use the Freestyle Libre meters?

MrsSoap

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I've been a T1 diabetic for 34 years and up until recently had been in good health. After a recent bout of illness i'm struggling to get control back (I'm on Novorapid and Levamir which isn't lasting as well as it should be) and have been testing so much that my fingers can't take much more lol. My GP's have stopped issuing me with my lovely test strips for my meter that i've used for years and now given me quite a cheap and nasty meter that can't be synced to a smart phone or computer - useful not!

I was reading up on the Freestyle libre meter and wonder have you used one? Did you benefit? Did you get any offer on the strips that you have to purchase yourself? Any answers gratefully received. Thank you

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Hi @MrsSoap and welcome to the forum :)

If you go the the Blood Glucose Monitoring section of the forum you will find many threads discussing the Freestyle Libre, here is one which was started around the release date which has plenty of users feedback:

http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/freestyle-libre-on-sale.65900/page-206#post-1185963

As for your gp giving you a cheap meter, contact your hospital diabetes team (if under their care) and ask them to write to your gp surgery to support your case to continue with the bg meter which you currently use.

MrsSoap

Type of diabetes
Type 1

If you go the the Blood Glucose Monitoring section of the forum you will find many threads discussing the Freestyle Libre, here is one which was started around the release date which has plenty of users feedback:

http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/freestyle-libre-on-sale.65900/page-206#post-1185963

As for your gp giving you a cheap meter, contact your hospital diabetes team (if under their care) and ask them to write to your gp surgery to support your case to continue with the bg meter which you currently use.[/QUOT

As for your gp giving you a cheap meter, contact your hospital diabetes team (if under their care) and ask them to write to your gp surgery to support your case to continue with the bg meter which you currently use.
Thank you for responding I will take a look. Literally just joined the forum and probably should have looked first. Thanks for taking the time to respond. :)

slip

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@MrsSoap - Hopefully you're in the middle of searching this forum for anything Libre related..........

There are loads of us that have been using the libre for a while, whilst some people do have problems with it - accuracy, stickiness or reactions to the adhesive, the general consensus is it's a game/life changer - but also expensive, if you can afford it all the time, and don't have any of the issues I've mentioned it is a complete no brainer! You don't have to use one all the time though which helps with the cost, and you'll only find out if you have issues with it if and when you use it.

Testing strips for it are available on prescription - I suspect your Doc has given you the bog standard meter they give (if they REALLY HAVE to) to T2.

MrsSoap

Type of diabetes
Type 1
@MrsSoap - Hopefully you're in the middle of searching this forum for anything Libre related..........

There are loads of us that have been using the libre for a while, whilst some people do have problems with it - accuracy, stickiness or reactions to the adhesive, the general consensus is it's a game/life changer - but also expensive, if you can afford it all the time, and don't have any of the issues I've mentioned it is a complete no brainer! You don't have to use one all the time though which helps with the cost, and you'll only find out if you have issues with it if and when you use it.

Testing strips for it are available on prescription - I suspect your Doc has given you the bog standard meter they give (if they REALLY HAVE to) to T2.
Thank you for replying and yes i'm currently working through the pages on the link i was sent. There seems to be far more pro's than con's for it. :)

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
There seems to be far more pro's than con's for it. :)

Don't let that put you off, I believe some hospital diabetes clinics are loaning out the Freestyle Libre so maybe ask yours if they do before purchasing.

Reactions: 2 people

slip

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
noblehead is in fact quite correct! Check with your local clinic if they have the libre available for trial - you'll get one reader and one sensor

Reactions: 2 people

Jonomay

Type of diabetes
Type 1
The only disappointment for me is that the freestyle libre doesn't meet the Dvla requirements!! So daily finger pricking is still essential. Shame really. Such a breakthrough.

slip

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
The only disappointment for me is that the freestyle libre doesn't meet the Dvla requirements!! So daily finger pricking is still essential. Shame really. Such a breakthrough.

Yes I agree with you but there can be big discrepancy's between actual BG level and sensor readings (far greater then actual BG level and blood meter readings) taking in consideration time lag, rapid BG changes and just the odd sensor that reads a consistent +/- x mmol - try explaining that one to the normal bobby blue lights! Now if a sensor used blood instead of intertersal fluid that would change things.

lwoof

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hiya. My husband has been using the Freestyle libre for about 3 months now. It's been great and relatively accurate. It has never come off so far and he likes to run and gets really sweaty! I got it for him after a really bad hypo episode involving the paramedics. We talked about it and I think once you come to understand its limitations, it's s great tool esp for peace of mind. If your blood sugar is changing quickly, either going too high or too low too quickly, the sensor will not pick that up quickly enough as it measures the glucose in your tissues, and there's a lag time for it to balance out with the levels in your blood, esp when your blood glucose is changing so quickly. It usually ends up overestimating hypers and underestimating hypos, sadly unlike Abbott like to portrait it does not completely replace pricking. However under stable situations my husband has found it to be exact when compared to finger pricking. It's also great to prevent hypos, for example if you scan and it says 4.5 or similar and you're going to bed, it may be a good idea to have a carb snack to prevent a night hypo. Overall we take it for what it is with its limitations and we are very happy with it. I have heard of people with faulty sensors but always heard that Abbott rectified it promptly. Sadly it's all self-funded for us, but if you can afford it, read about it (which you are!) and understand the limitations, I would recommend!

MrsSoap

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Thank you all for responding to my original query with your stories. I am now the proud owner of a monitor after being given it through the hospital. I sat in on a talk by the manufacturers and then was given a starter kit with the monitor and a sensor etc and set on my way. I am 4 days in and am seeing where my levels dip and spike and it is really eye opening.

My question is (which i didn't think of at the time) - how do you get rid of the dispensing unit which i imagine has the little needle in? are there sharp boxes specifically for these? Thanks in advance