Type 2 Does broken night sleep patterns affect readings?

Estragon

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Too many to list here . . .
Hello - I got to bed anything between 8 and 11. I can wake-up at 2, or 3 or like today 4. Now that I’ve learnt something about the Morning Sugar Dump, do my sleep patterns affect my readings? And if so, what is the mechanism going on in my body?

For example last night I went to bed/sleep 11pm on a 8.9 and at 4am this morning I’m at 8.6 . Any reason for this overnight “drop”?

Love this Forum. Learning loads each day I come here and learn from the experiences of others. And to those that do share, a big thank you. And to those that are considering in joining up, do it in your own time.... in your own time.

(Meds: 2mg Metformin per day)

Toodles - E

Estragon

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
This might be a good starting point
Yes, yes it is. I’m learning more and more how complex and, to be shockingly honest, just how “devious” my disease is! However, being here and gathering the Intel on my condition gives me the best opportunity to move forward.

Oh yes, Goonergal, loving your Stats.

Estragon

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
This site is more than just this great forum : it is also a wonderful library of articles like the one referenced above.
Don't worry, I'm doing that too. The Forum proffers people's Real Life experience and weight to the articles. If I've learnt anything in the past 2 weeks, each person with diabetes is an individual experience.

Reactions: Madmaureen

catinahat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Reality tv
Hi @Estragon
It's not just what you eat that affects glucose levels. Poor sleep along with Stress, emotional and physical, hot or cold weather and illness are just a few things that cause higher numbers. I'm sure in time you will discover other things that are your personal triggers
I think it's worth mentioning though that when you consider the accuracy of glucose meters.
( Plus or minus 15 % ) a drop or rise of 0.3 over 5 hours is insignificant and your readings 8.9 and 8.6 are essentially the same

Estragon

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Hi @Estragon
I think it's worth mentioning though that when you consider the accuracy of glucose meters.
( Plus or minus 15 % ) a drop or rise of 0.3 over 5 hours is insignificant and your readings 8.9 and 8.6 are essentially the same
Now that’s worth knowing. Filed. It’s good to hear a sensible, pragmatic view to my record keeping, great forum! Just had me porridge and a sprinkling of LINWOODS Milled flax, sunflower, pumpkin & sesame seed & Goji Berry. Flavoured with Allspice salt and pepper.

Toodles - E

dabbit

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullying, vegetables
I have similar trouble every night, but my morning sugars are always high, regardless of what they are prior to bed. I have often wondered if sleeping problems had an effect, but my hospital doctor said it didn't.

Estragon

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I have similar trouble every night,
Yup, that’s me.
I have often wondered if sleeping problems had an effect, but my hospital doctor said it didn't.
So, we’ve got two variables, maybe many more. There’s a document on this Website explaining it does and how, and the Doctor saying it doesn’t. Being pragmatic, sleeping well must allow the body to rest and consequently this has to be good. The other variable is that we are ALL different, in terms of sleep requirements.