Does Diabetes Ever Get On Your Nerves?

Type1Teen

Hey!
Im new here, my name's Ava and I've had type 1 diabetes since I was 6 years old. The night I was diagnosed was terrifying, but we caught it at an early stage which steered me clear of anything unfortunate. I count myself lucky for that one as my friend had a diabetic induced coma, which is how she had been diagnosed.
It's now been quite a few years. But exams are really bugging me. Same as school. And I'm not sure if it's just a normal teenage thing but my moods are swinging like crazy.
I just wish I could be able to have a day with my friends like they do. Without my mum texting me 24/7 asking me about my levels, to check for a twist in my pump cord. Basically everything you could think about. I know she only does it because she cares but I just wish I could have one day of no T1D to worry about. Just to go out with my friends and not worry about bringing a bag full of spares and doing stuff a diabetic does.
Probably just me but anyways, sorry for the rant

Reactions: Grant_Vicat
K

Knikki

Yep it does, its frustrates me, it annoys me and I wish sometime I could just switch off.

Saying that I've lived with it all my life but it does not stop me doing or eating anything but yeah I get where you are coming from had the same issues when I was a teen :)

OOPS forgot, Hello and Welcome to the forum :)

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@Type1Teen . Welcome to the forum.
We all get fed up with the baggage that type 1 brings with it. Young and old alike.
I was fortunate to be diagnosed at age 27. Teens were bad enough, but my heart goes out to all the kids and teenagers like yourself who have the extra burden of Type 1.
Perhaps have a chat with your mum and see if she’s up for a bit of role reversal. You agree to contact her at a set time on a set day. Start off with you just doing a few check ins and gradually build it up. Prove to your mum that you’re in control not only of your diabetes but life as well.
Unfortunately you can never have a T1 free day, but like a lot of us older ones you can find ways to make it less of a priority for set periods of time.
One thing is certain though.....diabetes will make you a stronger person in life.

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I just wish I could be able to have a day with my friends like they do.
Yes we all have days like that so you are not the only one by a long way, T1 is very demanding :(
Without my mum texting me 24/7 asking me about my levels, to check for a twist in my pump cord. Basically everything you could think about. I know she only does it because she cares
Yes it is just because she cares and wants to make sure you're ok, when I was at school, there was no internet there was no mobile phones (neither existed yet) so it must've worried my parents no end about whether I was doing ok or not - though even worse for them when the school called them up and said that I needed to be collected cos I'd had a nasty hypo!
but I just wish I could have one day of no T1D to worry about. Just to go out with my friends and not worry about bringing a bag full of spares and doing stuff a diabetic does.
Yeah I'm still waiting for that one day off from injecting after 40 years, with medical advances it may yet still happen in my lifetime (though not holding my breath).

Reactions: therower
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Hey!
Im new here, my name's Ava and I've had type 1 diabetes since I was 6 years old. The night I was diagnosed was terrifying, but we caught it at an early stage which steered me clear of anything unfortunate. I count myself lucky for that one as my friend had a diabetic induced coma, which is how she had been diagnosed.
It's now been quite a few years. But exams are really bugging me. Same as school. And I'm not sure if it's just a normal teenage thing but my moods are swinging like crazy.
I just wish I could be able to have a day with my friends like they do. Without my mum texting me 24/7 asking me about my levels, to check for a twist in my pump cord. Basically everything you could think about. I know she only does it because she cares but I just wish I could have one day of no T1D to worry about. Just to go out with my friends and not worry about bringing a bag full of spares and doing stuff a diabetic does.

Hi there and welcome to the type 1 club that no one really wants to belong to !:rolleyes:
Yes I think we all find it frustrating, annoying, inconvenient and a pain, I wasn't diagnosed in my teenage years, but I know how you must be feeling, my friend has a 16 year old boy, who doesn't play ball at all with his diabetes ( he was diagnosed at 4 years old) and his mum does the same as your mum. The teen age years can be difficult ones to cope with.
Hope things get a little easier for you, as we have to make the best of this condition and try not let it over whelm you or consume you. Take care, you are doing a okay :)

Reactions: therower

Engineer88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Better question might be does it ever not get on your nerves?! lol seriously though, its a challenge at the best of times.

Reactions: gemma_T1

bmtest

I am going to swear on this one it's an utter bas..d if I was honest and it's only that because all your teenage friends are free of it hence it's not the norm.

I remember in my teenage years going with my mates to Blackpool 4 decades ago and what a pain holding on with one hand whilst on Grand National roller coaster in the days before you were strapped around shoulders the other hand was holding a plastic Morrisons bag full of Mcvities Digestives and dextro tablets that I had taken for day, even more difficult in big Pirate ship at back.

It's times like that you just want to be free or even on date it is difficult keeping it hidden but its all a challenge and I managed to pull all these things off looking back only the the wife moans these days when I stop to eat now and again.

Reactions: Knikki

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hey!

Hi Ava,

Welcome to the forum..

I was diagnosed on my 8th birthday.. The only "D in the village." My teens? Lol, I drifted & hung out with other "outsiders?" I was accepted.. We listened to Heavy metal & talked "life." :cool:
What I discovered, is one's chosen company has their own "hang ups." It's a general teen/Young adult thing...

Older now, maybe not so "wiser," but my old mates (some of them.) have developed other debilitating conditions over the years.
Where as I just remain the "diabetic." They explain to me "what went wrong." Now it's my turn to get my head round "it."

One of my old friends is now T2.. Yep, I get the carb watching.

I lay my last vial of insulin that your friends are struggling to enjoy social company as you might be? Keep a close eye on your BGs & cherish the friendship..

Family.? I was out all night once.. (days before mobile phones, some girl had my attention.) When I finally got home my sister had woken the family & actioned a "search party." Annoying to me at the time... But she was concerned I may have been laying in a ditch..
Text your mum back. Let her know you're OK. & I'm positive she will respect your space & let you grow. ;)