Type 2 Does eating late at night affect fasting bg reading?

Hello,

I was wondering if I ate late at night would that affect my morning fasting blood glucose reading ?

I talking about 300-400 calories about 2 hours before bed. Low carbs but with maybe 30g protein.

Many thanks in advance

T

Flora123

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
For me, most definitely. Anything I eat late affects my FBG, and protein is just as bad as carbs that late.

I’m sure there will be others who don’t have this problem as we are all very different.

JohnyT2

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Whats your definition of late night and vis-a-vis how long do you sleep ?
A lot of time our body adapts to our eating time schedule, but it also expects that we provide the required quality rest too.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello,

I was wondering if I ate late at night would that affect my morning fasting blood glucose reading ?

I talking about 300-400 calories about 2 hours before bed. Low carbs but with maybe 30g protein.

Many thanks in advance

T
Sounds like a fairly simple experiment?

M

Member496333

Far too many variables for anyone to really answer the question with any degree of certainty. Self-experimentation is the key. Generally speaking, protein should be consumed alongside an appropriate amount of fat in the same meal (as nature intended). If you’re eating pure protein and/or too much for your own requirements for the whole day, then yes it can, but not necessarily will, raise fasting glucose.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Try it and see is all I can say! I do know that if I eat later a bigger meal with more meat than usual, say a steak at a restaurant, then my fasting blood sugar will be higher than normal the following day. But it is too individual a thing for any of us to predict with any certainty what would happen to you.

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon
Test and find out. I eat a small amount of cheese before bed, always get lower readings then not eating, but you will have to experiment.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
For me, most definitely. Anything I eat late affects my FBG, and protein is just as bad as carbs that late.

I’m sure there will be others who don’t have this problem as we are all very different.
Have you tried a tiny amount of fatty protein. This helps me with constant liver dumping. Especially my fbg.

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
If I eat a small fattyish supper or hot drink with cream then I'll often see a slightly lower fasting level, but not always. It can depend on other variables (particularly my health) and whether my liver thinks I actually need an early morning top up. I'm happy to let it decide as my fasting levels actually make very little difference to my overall results.

However the only way to find out what happens to you is to try it and test.

Robbity