1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2020 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Type 2 Does eating late at night affect fasting bg reading?

Discussion in 'Ask A Question' started by TrickyStillSticky, Sep 27, 2019.

1. TrickyStillSticky

TrickyStillSticky · Member

Hello,

I was wondering if I ate late at night would that affect my morning fasting blood glucose reading ?

I talking about 300-400 calories about 2 hours before bed. Low carbs but with maybe 30g protein.

Many thanks in advance

T

2. Flora123

Flora123 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

For me, most definitely. Anything I eat late affects my FBG, and protein is just as bad as carbs that late.

I’m sure there will be others who don’t have this problem as we are all very different.

3. JohnyT2

JohnyT2 Type 2 (in remission!) · Well-Known Member

Whats your definition of late night and vis-a-vis how long do you sleep ?
    A lot of time our body adapts to our eating time schedule, but it also expects that we provide the required quality rest too.

4. bulkbiker

bulkbiker Type 2 · Oracle

Sounds like a fairly simple experiment?

5. Jim Lahey

Jim Lahey I reversed my Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Far too many variables for anyone to really answer the question with any degree of certainty. Self-experimentation is the key. Generally speaking, protein should be consumed alongside an appropriate amount of fat in the same meal (as nature intended). If you’re eating pure protein and/or too much for your own requirements for the whole day, then yes it can, but not necessarily will, raise fasting glucose.

6. Rachox

Rachox Type 2 (in remission!) · Moderator
    Staff Member

Try it and see is all I can say! I do know that if I eat later a bigger meal with more meat than usual, say a steak at a restaurant, then my fasting blood sugar will be higher than normal the following day. But it is too individual a thing for any of us to predict with any certainty what would happen to you.

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. Tophat1900

Tophat1900 Type 3c · Well-Known Member

Test and find out. I eat a small amount of cheese before bed, always get lower readings then not eating, but you will have to experiment.

8. ickihun

ickihun Type 2 · Master

Have you tried a tiny amount of fatty protein. This helps me with constant liver dumping. Especially my fbg.

9. Robbity

Robbity Type 2 · Expert

If I eat a small fattyish supper or hot drink with cream then I'll often see a slightly lower fasting level, but not always. It can depend on other variables (particularly my health) and whether my liver thinks I actually need an early morning top up. I'm happy to let it decide as my fasting levels actually make very little difference to my overall results.

However the only way to find out what happens to you is to try it and test.

Robbity

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook